ZMF Verite Open
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #8,896 of 9,561
I don't think the difference is that big with an open back. I own a Blackwood VO and it sounds very similiar to the (i think silkwood?) VO from a friend that i borrowed from. I have not directly A/B'ed them though...

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #8,897 of 9,561
Enjoying my day off, wifes out shopping and I have the house to myself listening to these babies. Getting a little of that tube magic from the liquid platinum, and swapping with the Sony Taz Amp/Dac. Been enjoying the sound the Taz can produce with the Verite open.

Which ever wood you get you will fall in love with the Verite open sound. With any zmf can in your possesion you feel like you have a 1 of 1. The different pattern on the same woods look unique. All my other cans look like they are mass produced and everyone has an exact copy of it. Thats part of the allure of zmf. I wouldn't ponder to deeply on which wood sounds the best, more on which wood looks best in your eyes.

Back to enjoying the Verite open, amazing sound.

. 20230818_154708 (1)21.jpg

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #8,898 of 9,561
I have to say I'm extremely happy with the Blackwood VO, and it sounds like for mostly the same reasons as @Pharmaboy. I just thought it was cool to ponder that there might also be a slightly different flavor of VO out there that I would also love. I have always heard that the wood makes a minimal difference, but I certainly wouldn't pass up a chance to find out for myself. I'm thinking of making my way to Dallas Can Jam this year, so maybe then.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #8,899 of 9,561
My VOs arrived on friday after having trouble with customs but they finally made it to me.

I know these are not the best pictures but it's impossible to show how good they look in person.

The wood is Black and White Ebony, my dream wood. Next to the WA5, it took a couple of years making the combo posible. Thank you Zach and the ZMF team!

They have around 15hrs of playtime. They still lack some burn in but I'm enjoying it every minute.

Although it is softer compared to other Ebony species like Macassar, I think it is still considered hardwood with around 1700 janka hardness. Maybe someone with a better understanding can confirm it.

Attachments

• IMG-3901.jpg
    IMG-3901.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3902.jpg
    IMG-3902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3903.jpg
    IMG-3903.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3931.jpg
    IMG-3931.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3932.jpg
    IMG-3932.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #8,900 of 9,561
My VOs arrived on friday after having trouble with customs but they finally made it to me.

I know these are not the best pictures but it's impossible to show how good they look in person.

The wood is Black and White Ebony, my dream wood. Next to the WA5. It's been a couple of years making the combo posible. Thank you Zach and the ZMF team!

They have around 15hrs of playtime. They still lack some burn in but I'm enjoying it every minute.

Although it is softer compared to other Ebony species like Macassar, I think it is still considered hardwood with around 1700 janka hardness. Maybe someone with a better understanding can confirm it.

Those look fantastic.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #8,901 of 9,561

The wood is Black and White Ebony, my dream wood. Next to the WA5. It's been a couple of years making the combo posible. Thank you Zach and the ZMF team!

Wow, these are absolutely stunning!

I have the AC in black & white ebony, and it’s one the most special woods out there. Love how your VO turned out ❤️

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #8,902 of 9,561

Dang it, they look fantastic and unique.

Did you guys get your shipping notifications at all? I'm starting to wonder since some say they never got any email but it arrived to them.

I'm still waiting for my burled VO....

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #8,903 of 9,561
Wow, these are absolutely stunning!

I have the AC in black & white ebony, and it’s one the most special woods out there. Love how your VO turned out ❤️
Yes it is. The picture you shared of your AO and AC is my wallpaper right now.

I'm gonna try to get an AO in Macassar in the future, so i've the Ebony co-flagships.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #8,904 of 9,561
Dang it, they look fantastic and unique.

Did you guys get your shipping notifications at all? I'm starting to wonder since some say they never got any email but it arrived to them.

I'm still waiting for my burled VO....
I got an email as soon as the fedex label was created.

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #8,905 of 9,561

That’s the best part of waiting for a unique ZMF. It can take a long time, but the end result is just so magical to open up and reveal! Congrats on your beautiful pair.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #8,906 of 9,561

Very beautiful VO! Very special headphone in a really nice wood. Congrats!! Hope you enjoy it a lot

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #8,907 of 9,561
Got surprised with a double package from ZMF on Friday. Finally my redwood VO and mango AC arrived. 🥳🎁🎧🎧
Luckily the customs didn't cause any problems because I didn't expect them to ship together.
PXL_20230825_114507219.MP.jpg
PXL_20230825_113838984.jpg
PXL_20230826_073907627.MP.jpg

Redwood has a touch of brownish red. The grain reminds me of camphor burl but stained in red. If you look closely you see I ordered black cloth behind the grills instead of maroon.
I was waiting for a soft wood for the VO and wanted to have a natural looking red wood ZMF anyways. Burls were missing in my collection also. 400$ discount closed the deal finally. Zach take my money! 💰

Sonically it's a really smooth sound. Very different from blackwood and camphorburl VO, which I had before. The wood provides smooth transients even with lambskin pads. It's not overly reverby with that hall effect as I expected actually. More like an Atrium with soft wood. Those are only first impressions for sure. Maybe the driver changes a little bit with burn in.
Right now I can say the influence of the wood is very prominent . With harder woods the fast Verite driver provided faster transients and a punchy bass. Bass now is fuller but less punchy. That was what I was looking for with the VO. Since my Olive VC is a harder wood it's a great opposite sound.

Many thanks to @zach915m and @BooUrns for taking care of my order.
Very beautiful headphones too!! I really like the combination of the reddish brown burl with the steel grill/rods.

Hoping to read a comparison between your VO and AC. I had the opportunity to compare the two briefly a few weeks ago but I would like to know the opinion of other people. I think they complement well one each other

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #8,908 of 9,561
Those ebony's are amazing. A good "dream wood" to have. I hope ZMF does more limited rare woods mixed with the stabilized drops. I've seen a few Macassar ebonies but not these rosewood and black & white ebonies popping up.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #8,909 of 9,561
The picture you shared of your AO and AC is my wallpaper right now.

wow, I'm genuinely humbled and also really happy this was inpiring.. truly beautiful wood. love love your set. congrats again

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #8,910 of 9,561

I've never even heard of black and white ebony. It's beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back