ZMF Verite Open
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #7,081 of 9,511
Dude, easy solution. First, get the VO. Second, get one of these:

48434721486_5d005a1838_b.jpg

photo from here
How did I overlook such an easy solution?!

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #7,082 of 9,511
Hello All,
Longtime lurker on the Verite thread. I have just placed an order for the ZMF Verite Open in Sapele Wood with Copper Grill. I’m very much excited 😬

My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD650 and the Hifiman Arya - Actually I sold the Arya, since they were extremely sibilant, to the point of being unable to use them for more than 10 minutes with my Chord Hugo 2.
I wanted a neutral-warm smooth headphone with good detail, but at the same time, a bit laid back. My primary genre preference is Rock and Classical music, hence for me it was between the Meze Empyrean and the Verite Open.

I had a 2 hour listen with the Meze Empyrean yesterday, and though they were very good, to be honest, I didn’t feel that the sound was so much more different/technical/better than my HD650 being driven by my Hugo 2.

I have never listened to the Verite before, So I’ve placed an order blindly, and I’m hoping my decision is right at the end.

Honestly, the quest for detail has made manufacturers to crank up the treble more and more in each generation of headphone, which finally takes a toll on our Cochlear nerve before we reach our 50s. I was fed up of this treble happy trend, and wanted to settle for the safest tuning and at the same time with all the detail and technicalities I could afford.

I’m very excited to be part of the ZMF family (soon)

Regards,
Dr Harsha
I owned the original Empyrean at one time. I no longer own it.

I've had a silkwood VO for a couple years...and it isn't going anywhere.

There are many reasons to admire the VO, but perhaps the most pertinent to your post is that it does "technicalities" all day long (this is a very fast, high resolution headphone), but the tuning is very pleasing & musical. Until the VO I'd never heard a highly resolving headphone with such a merciful, unforced sound.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #7,083 of 9,511
I owned the original Empyrean at one time. I no longer own it.

I've had a silkwood VO for a couple years...and it isn't going anywhere.

There are many reasons to admire the VO, but perhaps the most pertinent to your post is that it does "technicalities" all day long (this is a very fast, high resolution headphone), but the tuning is very pleasing & musical. Until the VO I'd never heard a highly resolving headphone with such a merciful, unforced sound.
Same with me with respect to selling Meze and buying Verite Open. Meze Empyreans are not really about details. They are really good headphones but probably cost a bit too much. VO are noticeably more detailed, although to be as musical as Meze one need to choose good amp, preferably tube one (subjective:), altough VO are not difficult to be paired with most of amps.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #7,084 of 9,511
Same with me with respect to selling Meze and buying Verite Open. Meze Empyreans are not really about details. They are really good headphones but probably cost a bit too much. VO are noticeably more detailed, although to be as musical as Meze one need to choose good amp, preferably tube one (subjective:), altough VO are not difficult to be paired with most of amps.
There were certain things I really loved about the original Empyreans. The design, for one thing: I'm not sure any headphone design before the Empyrean reached this level of modern architectural/industrial design (IMO the screen is a work of art). I also greatly appreciated the easy earpad switching capability of this headphone, which used magnets of ideal strength on the earcup & in lining of the earpad to clink those pads on & off. I appreciated the use of Audeze/ZMF 3-pin mini-XLR jacks, which allowed me to use my Audeze/ZMF aftermarket cables. And finally, I appreciated the diffuse, glowing musicality of this headphone. It put the listener mid-orchestra: nothing in the sound was the least bit forced or edgy. The Empyrean could sound rather beautiful on large-scale classical music, as my pre-fazor LCD-3 did before it.

But...the Empyrean made me realize I need at least some degree of "plankton," exacting resolution of details and subtle sonic cues. I surely don't like treble cannon audio gear. But in the long run, the somewhat vague, floaty quality of the Empyrean just didn't resolve enough for me. I haven't had a chance to hear the new Elite version of it...will hopefully get to do that at CanJam 2022 in February.

The VO, being a high-level dynamic design, sounds somewhat different from the planar Empyrean in all the usual ways dynamics and planars sound different. The VO is at least as musical as the Empyrean, and is more than capable of producing a gorgeous tone on any music. But the VO's resolution, speed, and dynamic punch are ahead of the Empyrean, equal or better than most headphones I've heard. And that wonderfully organic, musical tone brings real detail and clarity along with it. This is a most unusual combination, and it's what makes the Verite Open my favorite headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #7,085 of 9,511
There were certain things I really loved about the original Empyreans. The design, for one thing: I'm not sure any headphone design before the Empyrean reached this level of modern architectural/industrial design (IMO the screen is a work of art). I also greatly appreciated the easy earpad switching capability of this headphone, which used magnets of ideal strength on the earcup & in lining of the earpad to clink those pads on & off. I appreciated the use of Audeze/ZMF 3-pin mini-XLR jacks, which allowed me to use my Audeze/ZMF aftermarket cables. And finally, I appreciated the diffuse, glowing musicality of this headphone. It put the listener mid-orchestra: nothing in the sound was the least bit forced or edgy. The Empyrean could sound rather beautiful on large-scale classical music, as my pre-fazor LCD-3 did before it.

But...the Empyrean made me realize I need at least some degree of "plankton," exacting resolution of details and subtle sonic cues. I surely don't like treble cannon audio gear. But in the long run, the somewhat vague, floaty quality of the Empyrean just didn't resolve enough for me. I haven't had a chance to hear the new Elite version of it...will hopefully get to do that at CanJam 2022 in February.

The VO, being a high-level dynamic design, sounds somewhat different from the planar Empyrean in all the usual ways dynamics and planars sound different. The VO is at least as musical as the Empyrean, and is more than capable of producing a gorgeous tone on any music. But the VO's resolution, speed, and dynamic punch are ahead of the Empyrean, equal or better than most headphones I've heard. And that wonderfully organic, musical tone brings real detail and clarity along with it. This is a most unusual combination, and it's what makes the Verite Open my favorite headphone.
But from what I know the Empyrean has a much more lushes sound to it, meaning smoother overly warm close to dark from most impression. Bass resolves quicker with lower deep notes compare to the VO. Just read some impression somewhere and I am able to demo the Empyrean.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,086 of 9,511
But from what I know the Empyrean has a much more lushes sound to it, meaning smoother overly warm close to dark from most impression. Bass resolves quicker with lower deep notes compare to the VO. Just read some impression somewhere and I am able to demo the Empyrean.
I fully agree with @Pharmaboy , this is also precisely my experience. Meze are unique with design and musicality. However what really convinced me to switch to VC was how some instruments, like trumpets can sound with Verite and how tones are textured. It is surprisingly that Meze are not that warm, they are smooth (even oversmooth for some) but not as full and colorful as Verite can be. I only noticed that in direct comparison, but it was significant difference. Verite are less lush but still lush and very smooth. I think the weakest point of Meze is bas, which is a bit bloated. Bas with Verite is complex, whereas with meze it was just a deep sound.

I do not find both headphones to be dark, although they are not bright.

I do like Meze, it is just Verite sounds in a more sophisticated way, are still very musical and really shines with tube amps I love.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #7,087 of 9,511
I fully agree with @Pharmaboy , this is also precisely my experience. Meze are unique with design and musicality. However what really convinced me to switch to VC was how some instruments, like trumpets can sound with Verite and how tones are textured. It is surprisingly that Meze are not that warm, they are smooth (even oversmooth for some) but not as full and colorful as Verite can be. I only noticed that in direct comparison, but it was significant difference. Verite are less lush but still lush and very smooth. I think the weakest point of Meze is bas, which is a bit bloated. Bas with Verite is complex, whereas with meze it was just a deep sound.

I do not find both headphones to be dark, although they are not bright.

I do like Meze, it is just Verite sounds in a more sophisticated way, are still very musical and really shines with tube amps I love.
Interesting response.... never heard VO but felt that Empyrean more full, lush and darker with bigger bass. Could be source though. Hi, VO or VC ? Or you were actually referring to VC ?

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #7,088 of 9,511
Interesting response.... never heard VO but felt that Empyrean more full, lush and darker with bigger bass. Could be source though. Hi, VO or VC ? Or you were actually referring to VC ?
Sorry for confusion. Just to be precise: the comparison i made one to one using the same source and amp was Empys to Verite Closed. Based on this comparison i bought Verite Open i have now.

Empys are more lush and a bit darker, no doubt. I am not sure if bas is bigger at Empys. VC are comparable, whereas VO may have a bit weaker bas (although it is not weak and is sufficient for me). The difference is in bas definition. Bas in Verite is well defined and more complex. You simply hear more info inthere, with Empys the bas is a bit loose and not as detailed. For me it was the weakest point. Empys have beautifil hights, very nice midrange and a bit booming bas. Verite has a bit more treble and controlled bas. Now, the key for me was that Meze sounded a bit more grey as compared to Verite, which were more juicey (i can not find better word).

This is all subjective of course.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #7,089 of 9,511
Just like to show the VO with my name on. Currently have rare Burmese Padauk
PXL_20211121_230700118.jpg

And the new one below coming. My preference might be changing more towards dynamics slightly more not sure why. Maybe Planar was more of a fad. Dynamics just slam hard in bass region.
Screenshot_20211122-185456.png

I think Zebra more

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #7,090 of 9,511
Sorry for confusion. Just to be precise: the comparison i made one to one using the same source and amp was Empys to Verite Closed. Based on this comparison i bought Verite Open i have now.

Empys are more lush and a bit darker, no doubt. I am not sure if bas is bigger at Empys. VC are comparable, whereas VO may have a bit weaker bas (although it is not weak and is sufficient for me). The difference is in bas definition. Bas in Verite is well defined and more complex. You simply hear more info inthere, with Empys the bas is a bit loose and not as detailed. For me it was the weakest point. Empys have beautifil hights, very nice midrange and a bit booming bas. Verite has a bit more treble and controlled bas. Now, the key for me was that Meze sounded a bit more grey as compared to Verite, which were more juicey (i can not find better word).

This is all subjective of course.
Yes--100% subjective, and using my favorite test instruments (my ears).

When comparing the VO/VC to the Empyrean, you really have to weight 2 other factors:
  1. The Empyrean is a planar, which matters when it comes to bass reproduction. I forget which of the 2 supplied earpads produced better bass (think it was the lambskins). With those pads on, the Empyrean's bass became more typical pressurized/heavy planar bass--though even w/those pads, the Empyrean never equaled planars with crazy good bass (my ZMF Ori is one; the big Abyss is another).
  2. The VO's bass IMO is high quality, natural dynamic driver bass. I've heard other dynamics that hit harder in the bass & have more bass than the VO (ZMF Eikon & ETA Genesis come to mind). But I haven't heard any with better speed and resolution in the bass than the VO, which sounds true to the timbre and tone of each bass instrument.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #7,091 of 9,511
Just like to show the VO with my name on. Currently have rare Burmese Padauk PXL_20211121_230700118.jpg
And the new one below coming. My preference might be changing more towards dynamics slightly more not sure why. Maybe Planar was more of a fad. Dynamics just slam hard in bass region. Screenshot_20211122-185456.png
I think Zebra more
Beautiful !!!

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #7,092 of 9,511
I now have the VO and got to try them last night.
You folks know what's coming ...

Oh the beautiful music! Amazing sound quality, even better than expected.
Kate Purcell's voice is sublime.
Tonality of instruments is excellent.
Detail, resolution, leading edges/transients are excellent and, most importantly, all this is done so cleanly without harshness, and that is a magic trick.
Bass seems about right in quantity, and high quality - tighter than Empyrean, tuneful, clean.
Things start and stop quickly so that things are naturally separated and don't run into each other.

A while ago, from reading reviews, I was a touch concerned that female vocals might be somewhat recessed. Several nice folks here answered me positively on this point. Well I hear nothing of concern on this matter; female vocals are gorgeous and seem well balanced with the instruments, highly enjoyable.

The resolution, tonality, natural speed and dynamics are giving me a high level of natural realism. And those vocals are giving me shivers down my spine.

I find the VO easy to drive. My DIY valve amp (now with OPTs for the 300ohm VO) gives lots of volume, needs less volume setting than usual.
I also tried my amp for 32 ohm headphones, as it's the only one (of my 4) that fits the cabinet; well plenty of volume and very good sound, which is a nice surprise as it's convenient to use it until my DIY OTL amp is made.

Thanks guys!

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #7,093 of 9,511
Hello, new to this thread.

As someone who preferred closed headphones for many years, I went and did something today that I never thought would happen. Just purchased a b-stock VO Ironwood.

The more I listened to Porta-Pros and Aeolus, the harder it was to go back to closed hps. Looking forward to many hours reading up on this thread!

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #7,094 of 9,511
Hello, new to this thread.

As someone who preferred closed headphones for many years, I went and did something today that I never thought would happen. Just purchased a b-stock VO Ironwood.

The more I listened to Porta-Pros and Aeolus, the harder it was to go back to closed hps. Looking forward to many hours reading up on this thread!
Congrats. I own the VO in Ironwood and it's amazing.

Please DO heed the advice though about break-in. It's real on those drivers.

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #7,095 of 9,511

Attachments

• _DSC8007.jpg
    _DSC8007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC8017.jpg
    _DSC8017.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC8021.jpg
    _DSC8021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC8025.jpg
    _DSC8025.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back