ZMF Verite Open
Dec 6, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #7,111 of 9,535
I have a he1000se, and was thinking of adding a Verite at some point soon. Do they compliment each other well?
Yes they do compliment each other very well.

I did a pretty extensive comparison between the Auteur and the Verite(Open/Closed). Auteur is the most neutral sounding amongst them which I would not suggest as a good compliment to the HEKse. The VO/VC are pretty similar but I always felt the VC had lesser bass quantity and extension compared to the VO. Which I found surprising.

The few standout differences between the VO and HEKse are depth of soundstage, detail retrieval, low end and the 4-8k regions. And yes, the ZMF house tuning on the Verite series has this "warm alluring" sound to them.
Soundstage isn't as wide as the HEKse but has more depth. Detail retrieval on the HEKse is always in your face while the VO is displayed in a more subtle way. High frequencies are definitely not as sibilant as the HEKse. Bass notes on the VO are not as tight and fast but has more weight. They just have a different way of presenting the music, neither one is better than the other.

*I have only had around 10 hours of pure listening time with the VO and HEKse side by side at home so this is my experience thus far.

I actually tried various headphones like the LCD4, Focal Utopia and Rosson Rad-0 as well before settling on the VO. It was a tough fight between the LCD4 and VO.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #7,112 of 9,535
Looking at my VO, it appears like the holes on top of it are perfect for having loose hairs fall into. Thankfully it doesn't look like there's a way for them to make it into the driver. (My HD6XX has a hair stuck inside that vibrates at low frequencies, now I'm paranoid about it happening to any of my other cans)

Has anyone had success cleaning the inside of their VO's? Short of shaving my head clean, there's no way to prevent a hair from falling in eventually. Or is it a non issue given that the inside looks pretty foam'd up thus preventing any chance of loose hairs vibrating?

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #7,113 of 9,535
Great news ..... My Vérité Epoxy Stabilized from the November 20th sale has shipped and should arrive this Thursday... Gonna be a Great Weekend for me.

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #7,114 of 9,535
Great news ..... My Vérité Epoxy Stabilized from the November 20th sale has shipped and should arrive this Thursday... Gonna be a Great Weekend for me.
That’s fast, congrats!

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #7,115 of 9,535
Looking at my VO, it appears like the holes on top of it are perfect for having loose hairs fall into. Thankfully it doesn't look like there's a way for them to make it into the driver. (My HD6XX has a hair stuck inside that vibrates at low frequencies, now I'm paranoid about it happening to any of my other cans)

Has anyone had success cleaning the inside of their VO's? Short of shaving my head clean, there's no way to prevent a hair from falling in eventually. Or is it a non issue given that the inside looks pretty foam'd up thus preventing any chance of loose hairs vibrating?
Even if something did get in the inner volume it would never make it to the driver to cause any issue. But tjos is something that's never happened with any of our headphones.

If hair does get on the from of the driver, a little air should blow it out. If by chance something magnetic attaches to the voice coil on front, use a piece of non marring tape to gently grab it.

Were working hard over here! More to come!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #7,116 of 9,535
The few standout differences between the VO and HEKset. They just have a different way of presenting the music,

The Dynamic driven VOs are tonally rich in the mids and low mids, and the resolution is very high which allows for a nice articulation and detail retrieval that sonically bonds very well with the richness of the VO's lovely upper mids and wide lower mids.

If the V0 was a food, it would be a elegant stew or a rich gumbo or a decadent chocolate cake. Its dense, sonically, yet, with ample detail that keeps the FR overall from ever becoming a sonic mush. The VO's sound is very engaging, emotionally......Its the very definition of "musical sounding" headphones.

The HEKSE is airy immersive magic. Somewhat accomplished by the outstanding Treble (Hifiman's speciality).
If the HEKSE was a food, it would be Moet et Chandon and Cotten Candy., as the sound is the utmost articulation yet with a sweetness and a separation of individual musical parts that never sounds anything but clean and precise and unique.

An audiophile, who is coming to that place of "where is the endgame, id like to stop now".......could buy the ZMF VO and the HEKSE< and never have to worry about what you are missing , 10 yrs from now.
Both of these, provide a literal endgame level of sonic craftsmanship, by far. And because they are so different, sonically, you have the prize of prizes when you own both....
= completely different utterly amazing sounding headphones.
One cleanses the ear's palate for the other., perfectly. One resets your ears so that the other's magical sound, is always completely brand new again.
One is a Head Rush that is always preparing you for the Head Rush that is offered by the other one.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #7,117 of 9,535
If the V0 was a food, it would be a stew or a gumbo or a chocolate cake.
I never thought about it that way before, but now that you mention it that sounds absolutely correct. 🤣

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #7,118 of 9,535
The Dynamic driven VOs are tonally rich in the mids and low mids, and the resolution is very high which allows for a nice articulation and detail retrieval that sonically bonds very well with the richness of the VO's lovely upper mids and wide lower mids.

If the V0 was a food, it would be a elegant stew or a rich gumbo or a decadent chocolate cake. Its dense, sonically, yet, with ample detail that keeps the FR overall from ever becoming a sonic mush. The VO's sound is very engaging, emotionally......Its the very definition of "musical sounding" headphones.

The HEKSE is airy immersive magic. Somewhat accomplished by the outstanding Treble (Hifiman's speciality).
If the HEKSE was a food, it would be Moet et Chandon and Cotten Candy., as the sound is the utmost articulation yet with a sweetness and a separation of individual musical parts that never sounds anything but clean and precise and unique.

An audiophile, who is coming to that place of "where is the endgame, id like to stop now".......could buy the ZMF VO and the HEKSE< and never have to worry about what you are missing , 10 yrs from now.
Both of these, are at a endgame level of sonic craftsmanship, by far. And because they are so different, sonically, you have the prize of prizes when you own both....
= completely different utterly amazing sounding headphones.
One cleanses the ear's palate for the other., perfectly. One resets your ears so that the other's magical sound, is always completely brand new again.
Thanks for that. That is where I might end up: HEKSE, VO, and Aeolus. I should have my bases covered. I have a SparkoS Labs Aries on the way, maybe add a Feliks Audio Echo mk2. A nice modest setup... And I am right there with you, I want to stop.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #7,119 of 9,535
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #7,123 of 9,535
My
zz epoxy vo.jpg
Vérité Epoxy Stabilized from the November 20th sale has arrived in all its glory.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #7,125 of 9,535
Myzz epoxy vo.jpg Vérité Epoxy Stabilized from the November 20th sale has arrived in all its glory... what a masterpiece.
Man those things are so…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back