ZMF Verite Open
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #5,911 of 9,535
Not a direct comparison between what you are asking but I owned both the Meze Empyrean and the VC at the same time. I now only have the VC...

The visceral impact is much better on the VC compared to the Empyrean and I found less harshness up top (not that either of them are even close harsh in the grand scheme of headphones).

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #5,913 of 9,535
Right now I have a TT2, Gumby A2, Auralic Taurus, HD800 and LCD3, but planning to live with TT2 and one headphone. My headphones are probably 2 generations behind the latest and greatest so it’s time to upgrade and experience new tech. I listen to the LCD3 90% of the time although the HD800 can be special on the right recordings, I’m okay missing some technical performance for musicality. I’m looking for a great all rounder something that’s between the lcd3 and hd800 but tilting more to lcd3 if that make sense. From everything I’ve read it seems that Empy and VO fit that description, some other halo products (d8000 pro, susvara, phi tc) are out of reach.

I've heard the LCD3 back when it was first released so it is a bit difficult to compare the 2 based solely on memory. But one of the main reason why I bought the Verite was its bass response. It is incredibly textured and punchy and among the very best I've heard amongst dynamic headphones. The upper mid range recession is something to take note. Though from memory, the LCD 3 seems an even darker headphone compared to the Verite so it might not be an issue for you.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #5,914 of 9,535
I wasn't a fan of the Empys. They were just quite boring to me. Didn't do anything special except look awesome and feel great. In fact I would definitely prefer an LCD 3 over it myself. But that's just my opinion....

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #5,915 of 9,535
Thanks to those of you that have responded. The Empys seem to be pretty polarizing but the Verite seem to get universal praise. The VC also seems to be getting slightly more love than the VO. It’s too bad can jam is not happening this year I guess it’s either take the plunge or wait.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #5,916 of 9,535
Thanks to those of you that have responded. The Empys seem to be pretty polarizing but the Verite seem to get universal praise. The VC also seems to be getting slightly more love than the VO. It’s too bad can jam is not happening this year I guess it’s either take the plunge or wait.
I agree the VC seems to get more praise than the VO but I'm not sure why. I had both for over 6 months and compared them many times. I preferred the VO for its more open, 3D soundstage and its more laid back sound. I feel that the VO is more like listening to my 2 speaker based systems. I ended up selling my VC a few months ago. I thought that the VC was very good and gorgeous to look at, but I like my VO better and I don't have a need for a closed headphone.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,917 of 9,535
I mostly listen to classical, 80s 90s Jpop so I don't need too much bass that's why I ordered VO over VC... For heavier stuffs I got Auteur on that department

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5,918 of 9,535

From what I've heard from owners it usually seems like:

VO is preferred by those that value outward space, midrange liquidity, ease of presentation and dimensionality

VC seems to be preferred by those that prefer accentuated imaging (3d space), natural decay, slight bass boost and slightly more aggressive midrange (it should be mentioned that both Verite's are laid back in this area).

That's not to say that they both don't contain the above or a lot of other characteristics that they each have - but that's mainly what I've found when someone prefers one over the other!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #5,919 of 9,535
From what I've heard from owners it usually seems like:

VO is preferred by those that value outward space, midrange liquidity, ease of presentation and dimensionality

VC seems to be preferred by those that prefer accentuated imaging (3d space), natural decay, slight bass boost and slightly more aggressive midrange (it should be mentioned that both Verite's are laid back in this area).

That's not to say that they both don't contain the above or a lot of other characteristics that they each have - but that's mainly what I've found when someone prefers one over the other!

I am sending out a sample amp and should get results back of how the VO compares to Focal Utopia's. Most likely the VO will be my next choice in headphones. I generally massage bass boost and aggressive mids with driver tube changes. I am also a fan of those working with quality hardwoods since it is a passion of mine as well. :ksc75smile:

Now if I could get matching honey locust, that would be ideal.

HL cabinet.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #5,920 of 9,535
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #5,921 of 9,535
From what I can gather it seems the VC may be more impressive but the VO might be easier to live with especially if you can only have one. Has anyone directly compared the VO to LCD3?

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5,922 of 9,535
My amp from @Paladin79 and stand from @zach915m are just awaiting the arrival of the VO for maximum wooden appeal...if only I had a walnut ZMF to go with the walnut amp and Salire...maybe a future set of ZMFs?
0216211931a~2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #5,923 of 9,535
From what I can gather it seems the VC may be more impressive but the VO might be easier to live with especially if you can only have one. Has anyone directly compared the VO to LCD3?
I had LCD3 for about 4 years before getting VO. At first I was surprised at how similar they sounded. When I went back to the LCD3 after listening to the VOs for awhile the LCD3s sounded a little unnatural in comparison. I should mention, I really enjoyed the LCD3s for many years as my only headphones. I think the VO might have better synergy with my tube amp (DNA Stratus). So, keep that in mind. I would say that if you like the LCD3 you will probably like the VO.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #5,924 of 9,535
While we are talking about amps for the Verite and Verite Closed, this review from The Headphone Show for the Ampsandsound Kenzie is pretty darn intriguing.

I just LOVE seeing someone converted to the dark side of tubes (cue the Darth Vader music). It's great how he basically says he can't put his finger on it, but this amp sounds good and isn't just turning everything into a tubey gooey mess. I think that's pretty much the case with most good tube amps, but it's nice to see a SS guy confirm it.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,925 of 9,535
While we are talking about amps for the Verite and Verite Closed, this review from The Headphone Show for the Ampsandsound Kenzie is pretty darn intriguing.

He said the Pendant is better with Verite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back