ZMF Verite Open
May 29, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4,336 of 9,512
What are you guys doing for dacs?
Soekris 1421 and Hugo 2 and both are excellent. I'd get a Qutest if I didn't need something transportable.

May 29, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #4,338 of 9,512
Once upon a time I was into fairly high end speakers, but been years since I've had a proper listening room so I'm making the jump over to headphones.

Ive decided to jump in the deep end and am ordering a VO and a Pendant as the design was specially tuned by Zach to complement the zmf sound - and while I loved all the mix and match of trying various components together in the past - at this point I mostly want to listen to Hella great sound! Which I know is a little different for all of us...

However, I have certainly experienced that some components synergize much better than others - so you can't just take a great can, a great Amp and a great dac and get optimized results...

That said, as I don't have any where to audition most of this stuff, I've been doing a lot of reading to find good reviewers who seem to like the type of sound I prefer and get their take and impressions of equipment - but hard to find good reviews of the pendant... However, I have found torq and resolve to be excellent, articulate reviewers who are big fans of zmf sound...

They have reviews of zmf cans and also the pendant... That you may find helpful... I did :)

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/zmf-pendant-tube-headphone-amplifier-review

Also an interesting group of posters over at superbestaudiofriends that have a good amount of zmf feedback and impressions.

And the soundsanddesign forum here on head fi has some good stuff too.

Also, I will say that the zmf headphone forums here on head-fi have some very articulate and insightful participants - but it does take a long time to read through the full threads! :)

You’re going to be very happy with the VO+Pendant combo. It’s quite a musical, fast, punchy, and clear sounding amp. That’s with new production JJ default tubes. I usually don’t care much for tubes shipped with most amps but they sound great!

Jun 1, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #4,340 of 9,512
Had the Verite for about 8 months ( i think) now, and my impressions havent changed .
Still my go to headphone for general listening, and thus the headphone that clocked the most headtime by far. Needless to say , theyre my favorite headphone out of everything else, being coined as my 'endgame' for the past 8 months
Its sound signature is just so damn fun and alluring. Add that to the forgiving tune that can handle any kinds of recording, whats not to love?

Some impressions with the EC Studio and DNA Stellaris.
Been using them with the Stellaris, which i prefer over the Studio in terms of pairing. The DNA house sound adds a tinge of sweetness to it that is more in line with my preferences for a tube sound. The Studio sounds more like a solid state in terms of tonality, its expansive, clean and resolving but a little 'thin' sounding for a tube. Both are spectacular amps that perform exceeding well, but in the end it comes to tonal preferences when choosing between the two. For reference, i prefer the Aeolus/HD650 with the Studio over the Stellaris. Though i also have friends who have opposite preferences , its kinda mixed between the two.

My configuration for the Stellaris: EML5u4g/u52 , KR2a3/RCA , 6n1p-ev box anode . I like the Verite with the Universe Perf Suede pads.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #4,342 of 9,512
Hi.

Getting my VO soon. Will be running them through a solid state amp (THX 888) in the beginning. However, I want to purchase a good budget tube amp in a couple of weeks when I'm more familiar with the headphones. Will the Feliks Audio Echo be a good thing to start with? I really can't afford anything more than that at the moment.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #4,343 of 9,512
Hi.

Getting my VO soon. Will be running them through a solid state amp (THX 888) in the beginning. However, I want to purchase a good budget tube amp in a couple of weeks when I'm more familiar with the headphones. Will the Feliks Audio Echo be a good thing to start with? I really can't afford anything more than that at the moment.

Thanks!

I am currently running my VO out of ADI-2 Pro and also looking for my first tube amp upgrade.

I have just been researching my first tube amp to pair with the VO and was looking into Echo/Elise/Euforia/Pendant.

A fellow over at Reddit claims, from his email exchange with Zach, Zach recommended the Echo for his Atticus.

I'm not too sure how well the Echo would pair with the VO, and I would also like some opinion on how well Feliks' line-up synergizes with the VO.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,344 of 9,512
I am currently running my VO out of ADI-2 Pro and also looking for my first tube amp upgrade.

I have just been researching my first tube amp to pair with the VO and was looking into Echo/Elise/Euforia/Pendant.

A fellow over at Reddit claims, from his email exchange with Zach, Zach recommended the Echo for his Atticus.

I'm not too sure how well the Echo would pair with the VO, and I would also like some opinion on how well Feliks' line-up synergizes with the VO.

Well, Zach was really fast with liking my post so I guess we got an answer there :) Thanks!

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #4,345 of 9,512
Hi.

Thanks!
Hi, see this post from a few weeks ago; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite.890270/post-15539784
I had a similar question and he recommended the Echo.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #4,346 of 9,512
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #4,347 of 9,512
Hi.

Thanks!
While I have not heard the THX 888 I have a Drop THX 789 and the Verite Open and would not recommend it as I find it a bit shouty on the upper mids. While not a bad amp just not for me with the VO’s. I also just picked up a Monoprice Liquid Platinum that is a different story I really like them thru it not as much as my Kenzie but still very good.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #4,348 of 9,512

I use Feliks-Audio Elise to drive ZMF Auteur. I know it's not VO but man, the 2 just shine together.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #4,349 of 9,512
While I have not heard the THX 888 I have a Drop THX 789 and the Verite Open and would not recommend it as I find it a bit shouty on the upper mids. While not a bad amp just not for me with the VO’s. I also just picked up a Monoprice Liquid Platinum that is a different story I really like them thru it not as much as my Kenzie but still very good.

Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah, the 888 is very similiar in terms of sound. If I get bothered by the mids I'll manage to handle it until I get my tube amp :)

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #4,350 of 9,512
You can use this basic formula in general: TUBES + ZMF = ❤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back