ZMF Verite Open
Jun 7, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #4,351 of 9,505
Hi.

Getting my VO soon. Will be running them through a solid state amp (THX 888) in the beginning. However, I want to purchase a good budget tube amp in a couple of weeks when I'm more familiar with the headphones. Will the Feliks Audio Echo be a good thing to start with? I really can't afford anything more than that at the moment.

Thanks!

The Verite (all ZMF dynamics) love OTL tube amps.

The Echo is one that really interests me...and you don't have to sell a kidney to get one.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #4,352 of 9,505
I use Feliks-Audio Elise to drive ZMF Auteur. I know it's not VO but man, the 2 just shine together.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, ZMF's just seems to be eatin' up those tubes.

While my VO sounds fantastic with my ADI-2, I don't like how it sounds in the treble and have to EQ to tone it down a bit.

I see a lot of reviews saying that the Echo sweetens out the treble, so perhaps my next move is to look into purchasing one.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #4,353 of 9,505
Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah, the 888 is very similiar in terms of sound. If I get bothered by the mids I'll manage to handle it until I get my tube amp :)
Sorry it is just my impression.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #4,354 of 9,505
I've been running mine with BF2+LYR3 and enjoyed it much better than the BF2+THX789 combo. The BF2+LYR3 combo gives out better sparkle on the treble while the BF2+THX789 combo just sounds dead to me on the high-end.
For reference:
1. LYR3(Psvane Mk.2 CV-181)-all copper cable-Verite(Uni. Perf. Suede)
2. LYR3(RCA Clear top D getter 6CG7)-all silver cable-Verite(Uni. Perf. Suede)

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #4,355 of 9,505
I have VO + Feliks Euforia, a terrific combo.
The Vérité sounds great on my IFI Pro iCan (on Tube+ mode), but the polish OTL is even better, especially in the liquid mids.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #4,356 of 9,505
I have VO + Feliks Euforia, a terrific combo.
The Vérité sounds great on my IFI Pro iCan (on Tube+ mode), but the polish OTL is even better, especially in the liquid mids.

Does the Euforia make the VO warmer?
I find my VO with the Verite pads paired with the Questyle CMA 400i to be a bit too neutral for my liking. I would like it to be warmer :D

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #4,357 of 9,505
I find my VO with the Verite pads paired with the Questyle CMA 400i to be a bit too neutral for my liking. I would like it to be warmer :D

You didn't ask me but yes, it should make it somewhat warmer. However, from what I've heard, the Feliks Elise is warmer than the Euforia. Not 100% sure though.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #4,358 of 9,505
Auteur was the most relaxed ZMF dynamic I have heard. Relaxed as in the music felt far away from you. The VO is a bit relaxed as well, but I find it more engaging than the Auteur, but not as engaging as the VC.
So I guess the VO is more balance and between the two. Auteur gives you the impression if you are seating in the centre of acoustic room and appreciating its natural and smoothness to the sound. Everything feels natural and relax and I would go as far as saying it classical sounding with the slight added of warmth. While VO is more dynamic reference sound that flexes is technical performance and fidelity. VC is VO but more engaging and fun nature.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #4,359 of 9,505

want something definitely sweet and warmer (in good way), go to auris bro haha

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #4,360 of 9,505
While on the amp topic, seems to be good timing to post this write-up I did for another forum.

I will be working from home for the rest of 2020, so ventured into the office to retrieve my Liquid Platinum and some odds and ends today. Decided to put my Liquid Platinum and MJ2 head-to-head specifically for driving my Verite. Here is my findings so far, I generally like to list thoughts on each amp focusing on contrasting the differences as I listen, with then some brief final conclusions. These are my thoughts after about 3 hours of listening to my collection on shuffle. Disclaimer, I am a novice, I did not do super technical volume matching, and this is written as a stream of consciousness.

Chain for testing: MusicBee FLAC Exclusive mode -> Gungnir Multibit A2 via Unison USB -> Freya S Balanced Passive -> MJ2/LP -> Verite with Suede Universe Pads (about 150 hours burned in)

Liquid Platinum (original version) with NOS 60's Telefunkens (these tubes really take the LP to another level, significantly more dynamic and technical):
  • Smoother and MUCH slower...liquid/syrupy/lush for lack of a better way to put it.
  • Soundstage feels more natural and significantly larger. MJ2 soundstage feels decently large put still confined in a way that makes you acutely aware of the fact that you are wearing headphones. LP is creating more of that spooky large soundstage that takes you out of your headphones and removes the edges of the stage.
  • Bass is boomy and much less precise. Plenty of bass quantity though, just doesn't have that ultra precise slam that seems unique to the MJ2.
  • Mids a bit more recessed but a lot more natural. Reminds me more of the Auteur/Eikon timbre to vocals, something I have been sorely missing being new to the Verite.
  • I prefer the detail presentation on the LP. For example on the track "Get it Wrong Get it Right" by Feist, there is a bunch of jingly auxiliary percussion in the background, and they are present but kind of just background noise with the MJ2 and hard to place, with the LP it is like someone is shaking that percussion in my ear and it really isolates it in space. Significantly improved separation.
  • Side note on that Feist track, it has some lo-fi haze that is really evident with the MJ2, and is almost completely gone with the LP. Probably means overall the MJ2 is more resolving/accurate and the LP is smoothing that over, worth noting either way
  • Blacker background
  • Better plankton
Mjolnir 2 with GE JAN 5670:
  • Soundstage wise it may be less expansive, but it does do a better job of putting you in a very specific space in relation to the music. With the Liquid Platinum you get more of that sense of listening to a recording as things are all around you/all encompassing. MJ2 puts you in a seat in the audience and music feels more forward.
  • I have tried a handful of different tubes with the MJ2, and while neither amp completely changes its character based on what tube you are using, the MJ2 seems less susceptible to tube rolling changes. WE 396A tubes were the closest I got to a lush presentation from the MJ2, but at the cost of a lot of the technical prowess IMO.
  • Vocals get a really interesting holographic treatment from the MJ2, but sometimes that can come across as a bit of an echo effect from the Verite. Vocals slower but a lot tighter/more natural from the LP. Vocals sound airy from the MJ2 and breathy from the LP if that makes sense.
  • No contest, this baby slams. Bass quality is so satisfying, and somehow still not fatiguing. Clean, technical, accurate, not boomy...love it. Better microdyamics to the bass as well. For example, around 2 minutes in "Vincent" by Car Seat Headrest there is a driving bass line in the background that feels really recessed in the mix. On the LP this bass line is flubby and not dynamic at all, makes it an afterthought. With the MJ2 that bass line comes alive in the mix, is tight, present and satisfying. Also in that track, starting at 4:27 there are some drum fills that just come out of space and smack you across the face like you are watching live with the MJ2. Just a quality that gets you going and hyped. From the LP they certainly are presented accurate, but polite and without nearly the same energy and drive.

For me personally, the Liquid Platinum is the clear winner in this matchup. With the LP I just can't pull myself away from listening, and that is really what it is all about right? Like, it makes me love my whole collection, I never want to skip a track on shuffle, it all sounds so dang enjoyable. Does that mean maybe the LP is just glossing things over with some seductive Cavalli house sound and the MJ2 is more accurate and resolving? Probably, but I know which one I want to be listening to regularly with my Verite.

Despite these sweeping generalizations I made above, these amps are really more alike than they are different, and people would be really well served with either of them driving the Verite. You want a drier and more accurate/resolved presentation with a truly unique and satisfying bass slam? Snag the MJ2. You want a more lush presentation with an expansive/deep stage and great detail separation? Grab the LP.

I really did not expect this result, as members warned of poor synergy between the LP and the Verite, so I really think it comes down to the tube selection for the LP. When I owned my Auteur I went through about half a dozen different tubes in the LP before I get my hands on the telefunkens and had that "Ah ha!" moment. It was like it brought the Auteurs to life compared to all other tubes I tried with that amp. Speaks to that particular tube being a good match for enhancing the ZMF house sound, but also a testament to the value of tube rolling in the LP.

Happy to answer any questions. (Although I have now sold the MJ2 so will have to respond from memory). Thought this might help other Verite owners looking for a reliable under $1k amp option.

Jun 8, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #4,361 of 9,505
Seeing that Eikon Purple Heart on the classifieds reminds me that I shouldve picked up a Purple Heart Verite!

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #4,363 of 9,505
This is my try to steer this thread to it's "regular state". I'm getting my VO in Wednesday and I'm so looking forward to it :) . Bought a Feliks Echo too. It will be here in a month ish.

I ordered my Echo yesterday too! I'm so excited to try it out with my VO.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #4,365 of 9,505
Awesome man! You have a lot of other cans which will benefit from that amp too :)

I'm really excited to try it out with my HD800S. :gs1000smile:

I also hope the Echo will be able to breathe life back into my HD820. I'm probably going to consider selling it if it doesn't work out :triportsad:

Not too sure how it'll handle my LCD-X with low impedance though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back