ZMF Verite Open
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #1,471 of 9,511
Heading to the Bluegrass Meet, really looking forward to hearing the Verite, Aeolus, Eikon and Atticus, while finally meeting Zach!

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,472 of 9,511
Hello everyone,
months ago I was here in this thread and there was a controversy about the Verite being bass light, congested soundstage and dark sounding.
After many units arrived to their owners are these claims any true ?

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,473 of 9,511
Mar 2, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,474 of 9,511
No. Thats laughable.

No. Thats laughable.

Not so laughable. Im in the proce3ss of comparing the pheasantwood to the silk and while I have yet to do a direct a/b,the silk does sound less dark...actually not dark at all.

Will report back.
Oooo waiting on this. I've heard the pheasantwood so would be interested in hearing the comparison.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,475 of 9,511
Those descriptions are so insanely far from the truth that it's hard to imagine what the comparison could be. The large soundspace where layers of activity and positioning of instruments are so precisely distinguished and the exactly-tuned but substantial bass are immediately remarkable, and if this is dark, save me from the light.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,476 of 9,511
Hello everyone,
months ago I was here in this thread and there was a controversy about the Verite being bass light, congested soundstage and dark sounding.

Definitely not bass light. If you come from the Atticus you’ll miss that mid bass hump. Coming from an Auteur the Verite does have a more richer sound.

Is it dark? Well this one is interesting. I have the pheasantwood Verite. My system was tuned for the Auteur , with Audio GD DAC on NOS mode and the Master 9 amp. I had found the Auteur was a touch bright and used my system to compensate a bit. And while initially I thought the same system sounded nice with Verite, after extended listening I had to change things up slightly by taking the DAC off NOS mode as it did sound a touch too warm for me.
The Crimson sounded very pleasing with the Verite as well with a brighter tube installed (although this was when it was attached to NOS Dac, I haven’t tried it with the Dac in OS mode).

Later today I will dig out my old Schiit Jotunheim and see how it fares with the Verite, as I had previously found it too bright for the Auteur.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,477 of 9,511
Hello everyone,

Consensus has been the opposite, but it is hard to really determine objectively whether that's the case. I can tell you that the one guy who said the things you mentioned should never be taken seriously when it comes to headphone impressions. He made similar noises about the LCD4... Which is a bit laughable as well.

I recommend going with impressions from people who take their time with evaluations, and provide more meticulous reports.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,478 of 9,511
Not sure about the Verite and wood types, but if the Auteur is anything to go by the differences will be anything but minor. Going from a Teak to a Wenge Auteur is almost like listening to different headphones - and in a good way. Guess it depends what you’re listening for.
I don't think that is typical at all... @zach915m has said the Auteur is the most responsive to wood changes (although I don't think it's akin to changing headphones, but I'm no expert).

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #1,479 of 9,511
I don't think that is typical at all... @zach915m has said the Auteur is the most responsive to wood changes (although I don't think it's akin to changing headphones, but I'm no expert).
You’re right, it’s not quite akin to changing headphones. But the harder wood ‘fixed’ all the issues I had with the Teak (too bright, too slow), at least on my system, and to the point where I hardly bother with any other headphone now. Many people switch headphones to fix relatively minor niggles, some even paying hundreds of dollars extra to do so, which is where my comment came from. As always, YMMV.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,480 of 9,511
Consensus has been the opposite, but it is hard to really determine objectively whether that's the case. I can tell you that the one guy who said the things you mentioned should never be taken seriously when it comes to headphone impressions. He made similar noises about the LCD4... Which is a bit laughable as well.

I recommend going with impressions from people who take their time with evaluations, and provide more meticulous reports.

I know, he only talked about the soundstage thing other claims from different people.

thank you all for the impressions

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,481 of 9,511
No. Thats laughable.

No. Thats laughable.

Not so laughable. Im in the proce3ss of comparing the pheasantwood to the silk and while I have yet to do a direct a/b,the silk does sound less dark...actually not dark at all.

Will report back.

The Silk seems to be about 5-10% brighter with slightly more fwd mids. The Pheasantwood seems a tad bit smoother.
The difference isnt night and day,but I can hear a difference.
With a silver/copper cable on the Pheasantwood the brightness is nearly indistinguishable vs. silk with 2K cable.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,482 of 9,511
Listened to the Verite and Aeolus, in multiple variations today, first, both are excellent headphones, I continue to be impressed with Zach’s art. Plus, I
won a pair of Michanikós Cables, a big thanks to Bevin and Zach!

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,484 of 9,511
Im in the proce3ss of comparing the pheasantwood to the silk and while I have yet to do a direct a/b,the silk does sound less dark...actually not dark at all.
Dark vs. not dark is one of the audiophile terms I am not sure I understand correctly. I know by now that I prefer sound that is smoother, warm and has some extra bass (vs. neutral)...
How would YOU define dark headphones?

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,485 of 9,511
Which did you prefer and why?

I preferred the Verite because of the larger soundstage and imaging within that stage. Both are highly musical, but the Verite’s technicalities, and how it serves as the perfect foil for my Autuer and Utopias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back