ZMF Verite Open
Dec 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #946 of 9,511
I find Zeos reviews on lower end products are more accurate then higher end ones. Seems he couldn't justify the law of diminishing return.

I used his review on Utopia as common benchmark seems he preferred to save money than getting the last bit of details other cans couldn't give which is similar to Verite imo that he couldn't justify or didn't notice the extra details Utopia and Verite give to listeners whose hobby is chasing singers saliva

Yeah I think that's accurate. I had a good chuckle at this. But it also points to some people just not paying attention to things the way that other people do. To me this demonstrates the often criticized notion that some simply notice (and likely care about) auditory details that others do not. Whether this is innate or learned I have no idea. Moreover, for all the cans he's reviewed, I straight up think he doesn't understands what makes one headphone sound good and another one sound less good. Like he's never once mentioned attack/decay, time-delay, frequency response, resonance, transient speed, resolution or timbre. Yeah these are somewhat nebulous audio terms to the uninitiated but they make perfect sense when describing sound once you take all of 15 minutes to read their definition.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #947 of 9,511
So, he wants TH900 levels of bass from the Verite. A mostly closed bio-driver bass cannon -vs- an open BE driver. He's an idiot.

The most intelligent thing he said during the whole review is "I'm just some a$$h0le on the internet".
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about Z ?! :wink:
Had a good laugh reading the above post. And I am glad you did find something you do agree with... LMAO. Too funny Prof :)

I like Zeos as an entertainer. His videos usually give me a good laugh and I find them interesting. I found several artist that I now enjoy through them. On the other hand, I take everything he says with a grain of salt. I find Metal571, Aornic, and Currawong are better at conveying what a headphone sounds like.
100% agree - watch his videos for entertainment. Period.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #948 of 9,511
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #949 of 9,511
I find Zeos reviews on lower end products are more accurate then higher end ones. Seems he couldn't justify the law of diminishing return.

I used his review on Utopia as common benchmark seems he preferred to save money than getting the last bit of details other cans couldn't give which is similar to Verite imo that he couldn't justify or didn't notice the extra details Utopia and Verite give to listeners whose hobby is chasing singers saliva

I think the majority of audiophiles don't care that much about detail retrieval. For me it's not even in the top 5 factors for selecting a headphone/speaker.

my top 5 factors are
1-Comfort
2-Tonal balance
3-Clarity
4-Imaging
5-Soundstage

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #950 of 9,511
I think the majority of audiophiles don't care that much about detail retrieval. For me it's not even in the top 5 factors for selecting a headphone/speaker.

my top 5 factors are
1-Comfort
2-Tonal balance
3-Clarity
4-Imaging
5-Soundstage

It's easily up there for me.

1. Comfort
2. Resolution and detail
3. Speed/transients
4. Tonal balance
5. Staging

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #951 of 9,511
1.PRaT/Musicality
2.bass/mids
3.speed
4.staging/imaging
5.tone

Comfort,meh...I'd wear a a pair of 5 pound dumbbells on my head if they sounded good :wink:

Fortunately the Verite checks each and every box on all three lists

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #952 of 9,511
Yeah I think that's accurate. I had a good chuckle at this. But it also points to some people just not paying attention to things the way that other people do. To me this demonstrates the often criticized notion that some simply notice (and likely care about) auditory details that others do not. Whether this is innate or learned I have no idea. Moreover, for all the cans he's reviewed, I straight up think he doesn't understands what makes one headphone sound good and another one sound less good. Like he's never once mentioned attack/decay, time-delay, frequency response, resonance, transient speed, resolution or timbre. Yeah these are somewhat nebulous audio terms to the uninitiated but they make perfect sense when describing sound once you take all of 15 minutes to read their definition.

I bought a MassDrop 58X jubilee to see what the fuss was all about. Before ppl say it's good for it's price, I think the MD-Hifiman HE4xx sounds better for a few bucks more. It is the most boring, flat pair of headphones that I have bought. Thanks Z Reviews.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #953 of 9,511

my top 5 factors are
1-Comfort
2-Tonal balance
3-Clarity
4-Imaging
5-Soundstage

This hobby is very personal as your list of 5 already has different variations and i'm sure there'll be 100s more who choose differently.... that's why I tried to be as objective commenting on Zeos based on his words.....

my preference on highend cans:

1. Information/resolution
2. Dynamics
3. Musicality
4. Tonal balance
5. Imaging

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #954 of 9,511
Interesting take on Verite from Z Reviews youtube

A few thoughts on Z and his reviews.

1. The guy reviews a lot of gear and is always talking about how busy he is. I don't think he has ever talked about his review methods, standards, or even the overall ethos of his channel. This review seemed rushed or hurried. Like others have speculated, I'm not confident he gave them a fair shake. Or, at least, put them through the same protocol he puts other gear through. I watch his reviews and always try to see the bigger picture and place his reviews in the proper context. Other, but not all, reviews of his are very in depth and he does a great job explaining what he likes about them etc. (The review feeling rushed could also be because he didn't like the headphone and didn't feel like putting effort into something he didn't enjoy. Again, something I consider when watching his reviews)

2. At the end of the video, he admits the video posted was his second take. The second take was due to him feeling that, in the original, he was try to sugar coat the flaws of the headphones too much. I think this mindset may have prompted the review to come off overly negative (ditch to ditch approach).

3. Overall, his reviews would carry more weight if his testing methods were more structured and transparent. His one-take, rambling, and profanity laden review style is actually quite entertaining sometimes.

Looking forward to his review of the Aeolus tomorrow.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #955 of 9,511
A few thoughts on Z and his reviews.

1. The guy reviews a lot of gear and is always talking about how busy he is. I don't think he has ever talked about his review methods, standards, or even the overall ethos of his channel. This review seemed rushed or hurried. Like others have speculated, I'm not confident he gave them a fair shake. Or, at least, put them through the same protocol he puts other gear through. I watch his reviews and always try to see the bigger picture and place his reviews in the proper context. Other, but not all, reviews of his are very in depth and he does a great job explaining what he likes about them etc. (The review feeling rushed could also be because he didn't like the headphone and didn't feel like putting effort into something he didn't enjoy. Again, something I consider when watching his reviews)

2. At the end of the video, he admits the video posted was his second take. The second take was due to him feeling that, in the original, he was try to sugar coat the flaws of the headphones too much. I think this mindset may have prompted the review to come off overly negative (ditch to ditch approach).

3. Overall, his reviews would carry more weight if his testing methods were more structured and transparent. His one-take, rambling, and profanity laden review style is actually quite entertaining sometimes.

Looking forward to his review of the Aeolus tomorrow.
Well ofc you know his review on the Aeolus will be better, its cheaper which appeals to him and his followers. He's hard to pin point. He loves the ad2000 and it's bright ass treble but is bitching about the verite not having enough bass? What?....

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #956 of 9,511
Which pads did Zeos use to review them? Does she know there are two and the sound changes? I don't recall if that was mentioned.

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #958 of 9,511
Well ofc you know his review on the verite will be better, its cheaper which appeals to him and his followers. He's hard to pin point. He loves the ad2000 and it's bright ass treble but is bitching about the verite not having enough bass? What?....

Maybe because he came to the Verite straight from the Fostex 909s?

You are definitely right about his and his followers' price point preferences. Perhaps he expected too much of the Verite due to the high price?

It's ironic though as ZMF, I believe, claims that each particular headphone in their line isn't necessarily "better" just suited for different tastes (or something like that). This seems to be true for Zeos.

Either way, now I'm even more curious how the Verite sounds to me. I already know it looks amazing....

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #959 of 9,511
Oh Zeos, maybe you should just stick to unboxing videos and talking to your adorable cat... I like Z and find him entertaining, but he is all over the place in his reviews. Especially on better quality gear. I just don't think he cares, has the time or has the ears to really deliver consistent and accurate reviews.

I can't take zeos seriously. After he said the HD660S had a big soundstage. I lost all hope. Coming from everyone who reviewed on both SS and tube says the verite has the biggest soundstage in the zmf lineup. Literally everyone. Most people prefer the verite on SS.

I think the Auteur's actually have a slightly wider soundstage, but the Verite's have more depth and sense of space (at least with the Verite pads on).

I'm kind of curious why many people prefer Verite w/ SS when the rest of ZMF's 300ohm cans seem to be unanimously preferred w/ tubes.

II preferred my top end SS amps to my OTL because it really brought out the speed and dynamic precision of the Verite's. The LP however was a fantastic pairing and provided benefits from both amp types.

What do you think about his take on the soundstage

Utter rubbish. I remember one video he was trying to refer to several different LCD models and he had no idea which one's he was referencing.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #960 of 9,511
Which pads did Zeos use to review them? Does she know there are two and the sound changes? I don't recall if that was mentioned.

I wonder if he had a pre production

All the recent review sets including Zeos were made and sent at the same time, tuned to production standards the same as the measured sets at the other site as well as all other reviewers have gotten. I did notice he did some pad rolling with some of the sets, not sure what ended up on Verite.

I for one appreciate his review style and that he is fun to watch - I knew going in that it would fun and surprising and it certainly has been so far, I appreciate his effort in reviewing all 5 of our dynamic headphones in such a short time period, that is quite an undertaking!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back