ZMF Verite Open
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #916 of 9,511
Thanks for the review.... the Verite is similar to how I imagine it sounds compared to your review, an Utopia mixing with Auteur and Verite is somewhere in between

Also can I ask has the Verite got the same/similar dynamics and attack compared to Utopia?

My pleasure.

They do indeed share the same great dynamics and attack, which along with the speed is most likely from the use of Be in both drivers. The Utopia's do sound a bit more aggressive, but I think that's because of their in-your-face staging.

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #917 of 9,511
how dark is the verite ? elear ,LCD2C, editionX or HD650 dark ?

a dark sounding flagship is weird and interesting at the same time.

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #918 of 9,511

I have owned all of those you mentioned and the Vertie is nowhere near as dark as any of those.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #919 of 9,511
My pleasure.

They do indeed share the same great dynamics and attack, which along with the speed is most likely from the use of Be in both drivers. The Utopia's do sound a bit more aggressive, but I think that's because of their in-your-face staging.

Thanks. That's really useful as buying ZMF in Australia is purely blind faith as there's no showroom or events here... Kind of thinking Verite will be bit more "polite" in aggression department ..

From my own experience, wood cups always give kinda warm tilt to the sounds.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #923 of 9,511

I would say dark would mean the treble quantity is lower than other flagships at that price point, but they do extends more than any of the above, more than focal clear even, they have high quality treble but with less quantity...the reason you can hear it, is because of combination of stax/utopia level speed and very very dark background with big soundstage...one treble tone had so much 3D texture into them, almost as if the note is coming from 2 spaces in the z-axis (depth) but they were connected. It was like as exploding star in dark space not sun shiny but have all details,
Supernova-remnant-1E-0102.2-7219-E0102-is-an-oxygen-rich-supernova-with-a-hotter-outer-ring-surrounding-a-cooler-denser-inner-ring-190000-ly-away-in-Tucana-in-the-Small-Megallanic-Cloud.jpg

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #924 of 9,511
I would say dark would mean the treble quantity is lower than other flagships at that price point, but they do extends more than any of the above, more than focal clear even, they have high quality treble but with less quantity...the reason you can hear it, is because of combination of stax/utopia level speed and very very dark background with big soundstage...one treble tone had so much 3D texture into them, almost as if the note is coming from 2 spaces in the z-axis (depth) but they were connected. It was like as exploding star in dark space not sun shiny but have all details,
Supernova-remnant-1E-0102.2-7219-E0102-is-an-oxygen-rich-supernova-with-a-hotter-outer-ring-surrounding-a-cooler-denser-inner-ring-190000-ly-away-in-Tucana-in-the-Small-Megallanic-Cloud.jpg

Usually, perceived darkness does not come from the lower quantity of treble, 6k-20k.
It rather comes from the lower quantity in the presence region, 0.4k-5k.

Think about sennheiser ie800. It is perceived as very dark, because its extreme V-shaped SQ. But its treble is elevated in fact.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #925 of 9,511
Usually, perceived darkness does not come from the lower quantity of treble, 6k-20k.
It rather comes from the lower quantity in the presence region, 0.4k-5k.

Think about sennheiser ie800. It is perceived as very dark, because its extreme V-shaped SQ. But its treble is elevated in fact.

for me any reduction in quantity above 2k is considered dark

as usual we all have different meaning of the audio terms.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #927 of 9,511
Interesting take on Verite from Z Reviews youtube

As much as I enjoy his reviews, I really don't think they're worth taking seriously for actual information about headphones. Also, it's highly unlikely that he let them burn in properly considering he has all the ZMF cans at the moment to try. His impressions also completely contradict what everyone else has been saying about soundstage, so it makes me think he's doing something wrong.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #928 of 9,511
Who knows. I don't agree with much of what he says about other gear. I think contrasting reviews/impressions can be helpful...and plus much of us are waiting for our pre-orders to ship so this gives us something else to look at in the meantime.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #929 of 9,511
Who knows. I don't agree with much of what he says about other gear. I think contrasting reviews/impressions can be helpful...and plus much of us are waiting for our pre-orders to ship so this gives us something else to look at in the meantime.

Absolutely. It just doesn't seem like he took the proper care to evaluate them, and this resulted in skewed impressions. The downside to this of course is that he has a large platform/audience, who won't realize that his view on the Verite (and likely other gear) is the exception, not the consensus, because he did something wrong.

To be clear, I haven't heard it yet, so I'm no authority on the matter. It just seems weird that he'd complain about a narrow soundstage when literally everyone else has been saying it's massive.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #930 of 9,511
Absolutely. It just doesn't seem like he took the proper care to evaluate them, and this resulted in skewed impressions. The downside to this of course is that he has a large platform/audience, who won't realize that his view on the Verite (and likely other gear) is the exception, not the consensus, because he did something wrong.

To be clear, I haven't heard it yet, so I'm no authority on the matter. It just seems weird that he'd complain about a narrow soundstage when literally everyone else has been saying it's massive.
Keep in mind it seems he only really tested them with solid states, not the TOTL tube amps most early reviewers had access to. That makes a BIG difference with ZMF cans, especially for the 'regular' reviewers that default to high-end tubes over anything SS. Not that I take him at his word, but I kinda like that he'll be reviewing the ZMFs through the solid state prism; makes it more relevant to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back