ZMF Verite Open
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #4,486 of 9,518
I am just guessing but I'd think to minimize confusion, streamline some processes, and also to make sure he has enough for a certain model. If one buys a certain amount of wood for headphone X and makes that the default, which most will buy, if that's suddenly available for all headphones, the amount for headphone X may run out, and assume that for default woods for each model I'd think that becomes more complex to manage supply. My Verite Open is the stock silk and it is amazingly light. I don't think one can go wrong with it, and you've got some ability to customize with different stain, lacquer or not, grill & chassis color.
And the stock silk wood still looks very nice. However, I wonder whether you can change the grill and rod together while remaining stock ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #4,487 of 9,518
Why do you get the VC if you prefer the VO ? Is it for isolation at home ?
Well, the VO came out first. I bought the VC because I love the VO and I wanted the set of Verites in the first LTD wood release. Don't get me wrong, I also LOVE the VC. But if I had to choose just one, it would be the VO. The VC does great with isolation, so for working from home thanks to COVID-19, it is great.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #4,488 of 9,518
I have been unable to decide, if I should go open or closed Verite, and I think i finally decided it will be a Verite open. But a question came to my mind...

I was browsing Zach's site, and looked at the stock Auteur made of Ambrosia Maple, and I caught myself wishing it was the stock wood for Verite Open. They would look really good with black grills.

Is there a particular reason, why stock woodtypes aren't available across the headphone models?

Aeolus is Sapele wood
Verite closed is MonkeyPod
Eikon and Atticus is Camphor
ect.

I assume that since all those wood types are stock for a headphone model, that Zach keeps a storage of them all the time. So wouldn't it be easy to make all those woods available for all models? He could probably charge extra, if that was needed. It would give people more options, like the 5 different grills you can choose, and all the different earpads.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm sure there is a reason Zach made the choice he did. I'm just wondering...

I'm probably gonna wait to buy one, until there is a LTD version I really want. Sadly i missed the Ziricote and Cocobolo versions.
Very simple. VO is more natural openess sounding meaning where there certain tracks that able to show its qualities and detailed, the VO will sound more realistic in timbre. VC the same but more intimate meaning warmer and viseral with bass impact and intense but smooth treble. Both are one over the other but more emphasis of the traits I mentioned as an open and closed back.
Well, the VO came out first. I bought the VC because I love the VO and I wanted the set of Verites in the first LTD wood release. Don't get me wrong, I also LOVE the VC. But if I had to choose just one, it would be the VO. The VC does great with isolation, so for working from home thanks to COVID-19, it is great.
So the VC was a blind buy it seems ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4,489 of 9,518
Very simple. VO is more natural openess sounding meaning where there certain tracks that able to show its qualities and detailed, the VO will sound more realistic in timbre. VC the same but more intimate meaning warmer and viseral with bass impact and intense but smooth treble. Both are one over the other but more emphasis of the traits I mentioned as an open and closed back.

Nick have you heard the VO or V Closed or are you just speaking from generalities of open and closed? A lot of this stuff really depends on what pads are being used.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4,491 of 9,518

So the VC was a blind buy it seems ?
The VO was a blind buy, based on @Monsterzero's review and a few other sources, all of which ticked off what I wanted: high level detail, natural sounding FR, great bass, and great staging. I would say the VC was an informed buy. I went to CanJam SoCal 2019, met Zach and Bevin in person, and spent a looong time listening to the the Eikon, Atticus, Aeolus, and Auteur. Having listened to all of the ZMF dynamic lineup, even in show conditions, I realized that more likely than not, I would love anything ZMF releases. And I was right.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,492 of 9,518
Jun 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #4,493 of 9,518
So wouldn't it be easy to make all those woods available for all models? He could probably charge extra, if that was needed. It would give people more options, like the 5 different grills you can choose, and all the different earpads.

It would, and he does. He can make your VO with any of the woods he has available. You just have to email him and ask for it. He'll have to tell you if it costs more.

FWIW, I intend to request my VO in Ambrosia Maple as well, when I order it. I like it much more than any of the other light woods being offered, except maybe camphor (non-burl).

I don't believe you can have a choice of grill design, though, as each model has a different size grill.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #4,494 of 9,518
I am just guessing but I'd think to minimize confusion, streamline some processes, and also to make sure he has enough for a certain model. If one buys a certain amount of wood for headphone X and makes that the default, which most will buy, if that's suddenly available for all headphones, the amount for headphone X may run out, and assume that for default woods for each model I'd think that becomes more complex to manage supply. My Verite Open is the stock silk and it is amazingly light. I don't think one can go wrong with it, and you've got some ability to customize with different stain, lacquer or not, grill & chassis color.

I guess that kinda makes sense.

It would, and he does. He can make your VO with any of the woods he has available. You just have to email him and ask for it. He'll have to tell you if it costs more.

FWIW, I intend to request my VO in Ambrosia Maple as well, when I order it. I like it much more than any of the other light woods being offered, except maybe camphor (non-burl).

I don't believe you can have a choice of grill design, though, as each model has a different size grill.

By grill design, I didn't mean using the Auteur grill on the Verite, but the grill color.....black, brass, brushed stainless steel ect.

Yeah the Ambrosia Maple, i think would look really good on the Verite open. I'll try and write to Zach tomorrow, and hear if he can help with that request.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #4,495 of 9,518

Currently we only sell each of the stock woods in the stock woods listed. So you wouldn't be able to get an ambrosia maple verite or a silk auteur etc etc. We have a few machine shops with different capabilities as the verite cups are a lot tougher to make than the auteur cups from a machining aspect, so we have a stockpile of silk wood at that shop and our maple at the shop that does the auteur.

I also just like working with different woods, although at some point we might have to consolidate the woods we use for different stock models into fewer species.

You cna get custom color rod and grille on all stock and Ltd editions models except for the aeolus stock Sapele, which only comes with black grille and Rods. We do this just to keep headphones going out the door as fast as we can.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #4,496 of 9,518
Hope I get my package soon too :sob::sweat::cry:

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #4,498 of 9,518
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #4,499 of 9,518
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #4,500 of 9,518
Hey music lovers! :)

I have been using the Verite Open (Silkwood) with the Questyle CMA 400i for the past 6 months. Everything was fine until two months.. everything sounded plain and I had a feeling that this is not how the VO should sound. I took the jump 2 weeks ago by upgrading to the CMA Twelve Master, and I never knew that an amp could make such a huge difference. It was like listening to a completely different headphone... the mids, the bass, soundstage, imaging.. it's surreal!

I have been thinking of getting my very first tube amp for some time now... and I kept on reading how Feliks tube amps pairs really well with ZMF headphones. I have narrowed it down to 3 amps (Auris HA2 SE, Feliks Elise, Feliks Euforia). Even though I can't demo these units.. I feel that the Elise will suit the sound I'm going for at this moment in time.. which is smooth, warm, tubey sound (really curious about what this sound like).

Which one do guys think will pair well with the Verite Open?
The only other headphones I see myself getting in the near future are the Aeolus, Verite Closed, and Auteur.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back