ZMF Verite Open
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #4,471 of 9,517
I am not convinced VC is better. VO with Verite pads has similar soundstage to VC and FR is more neutral.
I find it's hard to ascribe superlatives like "better" to matters of opinion...different strokes and all that. Some do say that they're better, and some say the Focal Utopia is the king of headphones. I have nothing against the Focal, but it's not my cuppa is all, to each their own. Personally I lean towards the VO, but I have never heard a closed back headphone that I like as much as the VC. They are tonally very similar IMO, it really is a matter of preference...there's no "right" answer!

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #4,472 of 9,517
I find it's hard to ascribe superlatives like "better" to matters of opinion...different strokes and all that. Some do say that they're better, and some say the Focal Utopia is the king of headphones. I have nothing against the Focal, but it's not my cuppa is all, to each their own. Personally I lean towards the VO, but I have never heard a closed back headphone that I like as much as the VC. They are tonally very similar IMO, it really is a matter of preference...there's no "right" answer!
There is better. But whats the point if its not to your preference.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,473 of 9,517
There is better. But whats the point if its not to your preference.

The point is that he has ears & knows how to use them--whether the headphone is "his reference" (why would that be limited to just one?) or some other headphone he's hearing in his system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #4,475 of 9,517
I am not convinced VC is better. VO with Verite pads has similar soundstage to VC and FR is more neutral.

I have both and I prefer the VO 90% of the time. It's only when my environment gets a bit noisy that I go for the VC.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #4,478 of 9,517
Thats nice to hear from you because am interested in the VO as well. Why do you prefer the VO 90% of the time ?

I'm not great at describing the technical aspects of sound - it just sounds "better" to my ears. VC is very, very good and I am very happy to have it, but the VO is just that little bit better for me. YMMV.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #4,480 of 9,517
Have you considered since to get a pair of Verite Closed? Some say they're even better!
They are definitely too close to generalize and each individual would have to listen to both to decide. I have both: Pheasantwood VO and Ironwood VC. I LOVE the VC. But the VO is my favorite headphone. The VO’s incredible sense of spacing, the natural sound, and as many have mentioned, the detailed yet fun signature is tough to beat. VC is the best sounding closed back I’ve heard tho.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #4,481 of 9,517
They are definitely too close to generalize and each individual would have to listen to both to decide. I have both: Pheasantwood VO and Ironwood VC. I LOVE the VC. But the VO is my favorite headphone. The VO’s incredible sense of spacing, the natural sound, and as many have mentioned, the detailed yet fun signature is tough to beat. VC is the best sounding closed back I’ve heard tho.
Why do you get the VC if you prefer the VO ? Is it for isolation at home ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #4,482 of 9,517
There is something in ZMF tuning (both verite and aeolus), that make them become best headphone for laptop based set up person like me. Don't know why I never felt any problem to listened song and keep reading 20++ pages article here when used ZMF.

Tried that with Utopia or Abyss Phi, could got "headache" afterwards, they demand too much attention. Not a weakness of them of course, but still, it just feel so comfortable to listening music and reading with these two ZMFs.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #4,483 of 9,517
I have been unable to decide, if I should go open or closed Verite, and I think i finally decided it will be a Verite open. But a question came to my mind...

I was browsing Zach's site, and looked at the stock Auteur made of Ambrosia Maple, and I caught myself wishing it was the stock wood for Verite Open. They would look really good with black grills.

Is there a particular reason, why stock woodtypes aren't available across the headphone models?

Aeolus is Sapele wood
Verite closed is MonkeyPod
Eikon and Atticus is Camphor
ect.

I assume that since all those wood types are stock for a headphone model, that Zach keeps a storage of them all the time. So wouldn't it be easy to make all those woods available for all models? He could probably charge extra, if that was needed. It would give people more options, like the 5 different grills you can choose, and all the different earpads.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm sure there is a reason Zach made the choice he did. I'm just wondering...

I'm probably gonna wait to buy one, until there is a LTD version I really want. Sadly i missed the Ziricote and Cocobolo versions.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4,484 of 9,517
I have been unable to decide, if I should go open or closed Verite, and I think i finally decided it will be a Verite open. But a question came to my mind...

I was browsing Zach's site, and looked at the stock Auteur made of Ambrosia Maple, and I caught myself wishing it was the stock wood for Verite Open. They would look really good with black grills.

Is there a particular reason, why stock woodtypes aren't available across the headphone models?

Aeolus is Sapele wood
Verite closed is MonkeyPod
Eikon and Atticus is Camphor
ect.

I assume that since all those wood types are stock for a headphone model, that Zach keeps a storage of them all the time. So wouldn't it be easy to make all those woods available for all models? He could probably charge extra, if that was needed. It would give people more options, like the 5 different grills you can choose, and all the different earpads.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm sure there is a reason Zach made the choice he did. I'm just wondering...

I'm probably gonna wait to buy one, until there is a LTD version I really want. Sadly i missed the Ziricote and Cocobolo versions.
Zach is very flexible, within reason, when possible.
What I mean by that is: PM Zach and ask if he still got material (wood) that would allow to build a Verite with Ambrosia Maple for you.
If he got it - I am pretty sure he would agree to build it for you.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #4,485 of 9,517
I am just guessing but I'd think to minimize confusion, streamline some processes, and also to make sure he has enough for a certain model. If one buys a certain amount of wood for headphone X and makes that the default, which most will buy, if that's suddenly available for all headphones, the amount for headphone X may run out, and assume that for default woods for each model I'd think that becomes more complex to manage supply. My Verite Open is the stock silk and it is amazingly light. I don't think one can go wrong with it, and you've got some ability to customize with different stain, lacquer or not, grill & chassis color.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back