ZMF Verite Open
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #3,211 of 9,518
Unfortunately the wait is more than likely correct ....but I can tell you that this amp will kill it with both dynamic and planar headphones.
The GOTL will also work and the basic version can be had much cheaper then the GEL3N amp....IMHO the GEL3N is better with my LCD-3 and my ZMF Ori.

With adapters you can also roll tubes....here the amp is with EL34 power tubes as well as EL3N power tubes.

Not sure how this amp stacks up with the price of the Pendant though...you would have to check with Glenn.
Understandable if you do not like the wait time though.
Looks great. I do have to say it looks a little more solid than the Pendant and the balanced connection is a plus too. It would be great if Glenn licensed the design to a full time builder as I am sure the wait time is scaring people off. 2-3 months is acceptable. 6 months, maybe more, nah. Ha, there are plenty here, probably me included, that have overhauled their entire headphone collections in that time.

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,213 of 9,518
Donald North has a new amp called Starlett that should play well with the Verite. Price is around $2k.

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Starlett-headphone-amplifier.html

I actually wrote an impression on Starlett + Verite after meeting with Donald couple months ago. it's buried somewhere on this thread lol It was a prototype back then but can confirm it's a great match with the Verite. Plus Donald significantly reduced the wait time compared to Stratus and Stellaris. (I think around 1-3 months?)

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #3,214 of 9,518
I actually wrote an impression on Starlett + Verite after meeting with Donald couple months ago. it's buried somewhere on this thread lol It was a prototype back then but can confirm it's a great match with the Verite. Plus Donald significantly reduced the wait time compared to Stratus and Stellaris. (I think around 1-3 months?)
Ah that's good to know. I've always fancied one of Donald's blue beauties and tubes wouldn't be too expensive on this.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #3,215 of 9,518
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #3,216 of 9,518
Most of us here in these threads already have competent amps to listen to. While a six month wait is a long time,its worth the wait IMO. Order it,and forget it and enjoy your current gear during the wait.
A year ago when I bought my Glenn the wait was two months. Now six. Who knows what it will be in a years time.

My .02

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #3,218 of 9,518
Most of us here in these threads already have competent amps to listen to. While a six month wait is a long time,its worth the wait IMO. Order it,and forget it and enjoy your current gear during the wait.
A year ago when I bought my Glenn the wait was two months. Now six. Who knows what it will be in a years time.

My .02

While my THX is a great little amp especially for it's price, I just cannot see myself with it for another six months. I think with the Verite and other cans I am starting to/have outgrown it. If I wasn't so busty still trying to get more cans, I would have probably purchased a better amp by now. For now, I just may get an interim amp like a Cayin HA1, WA6 SE or a iCan Pro, most likely used, until I can go for a better, almost endgame amp.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #3,219 of 9,518
Guess what shipped yesterday and is arriving tomorrow...

chrisprattexcited.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #3,220 of 9,518
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #3,221 of 9,518
Oct 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #3,224 of 9,518
Verite showed up yesterday. I'm very pleased with the tone of the Cocobolo wood of my pair, a truly beautiful headphone. I got a few hours of early listening in and it's already noticeable how good these are with detail, speed, and resolution. I listened mostly to the Universe pads yesterday but a briefly checked out the Verite pads as well.
I left them on burning to pink noise overnight and then for another 8 hours while I was at work this morning.
Listening to Infected Mushroom - B.P. Empire album right now via the ZDT Jr with the Verite pads, it's amazing how detailed they are while maintaining a completely enjoyable presentation.
I am noticing the weight of them a bit more than I expected, but probably because I haven't had any over-ear headphones for the past month.
:)

IMG_6985.JPG
Album with some more pics.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,225 of 9,518
Question what is a good tube amp to go with not only the Verite but planers also? I would think this would have to be a full fledged tube amp with a transformer and not OTL. Let’s say for under $1,500?

I found--to my surprise--that what people said about planars reacting very differently to OTLs than dynamics is totally true. On my Woo WA3 (lovely little OTL), I've now tried 4 planar headphones, and all sound quite excellent on it despite having low impedance:
  • Meze Empyrean (since sold)
  • HEX v2
  • LCD-2.1 pre-fazor
  • Ori
In particular, there is none of the bass/mid-bass bloat that one hears w/a low impedance dynamic HP on an OTL. The sound overall is fully competitive w/what I get out of various SS amps on the same headphones.

And of course, my high impedance headphones sound awesome on the WA3, as one would expect.

So IMO no need to worry about pairing a planar w/an OTL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back