ZMF Verite Open
Oct 5, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #3,181 of 9,521
Reviews? I don't need no stinking reviews.

(I heard them at RMAF.)

Purchased in anticipation of receiving the Verite closed:

Not trying to brag. Just sharing my excitement.

I wasn't expecting the power tubes to be as big as a soda can, but they are. (Mt Dew for scale.**)

** I was out of bananas.

Nice soda can. How does it sound? Good for bassheads?

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3,183 of 9,521
Nice soda can. How does it sound? Good for bassheads?
Bass is good in a textured and detailed kind of way. There are SS amps I'd take over the ZDS for basshead music though.

So far, my impression of the ZDS is that it presents the widest and deepest staging I've ever heard. It's overall presentation is speedy and clean while being soulful and musical at the same time. It's not a ruler flat "wire with gain" presentation like the Phonitor X or the Aficionado. With that said, it seems closer to those amps overall when I think about other amps like the A&S Mogwei or Felix Elise, both of which I thought was a bit thick, overly warm, or even muddy. The BH Crack has an unapologetically tubey sound, which is charming and not like the ZDS at all. I will still keep my Crack just for this reason.

ZDS is a bit warmer and musical sounding than my ECP Ravenswood 3F, but just as detailed and fast. The two compliment each other very well.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #3,184 of 9,521
I'll bet they really sweeten the sound...
Not as much as I expected, but I'm very ok with that. If I want that sweetness, I have my Crack. :)

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #3,185 of 9,521
Figured with most of the attention on the new VC's maybe we can get some love in the VO thread?

Just got my Zircote Open B Stocks yesterday. They are smoking! Still trying to figure out the difference between the BE2 and the Verite pads. Now, under normal light they are considerably darker, almost a Dark Walnut/ Dark Mahogany color, but I was unable to get a decent pic in normal light, so this is the best I could do with flash. Maybe with some outdoor light I can capture it's true color? Shout out to Zach for being so patient with me picking these out......lots of emails back and forth.

The Silkwood Verite at the bottom were my previous pair......What an upgrade!

20191006_070014.jpg
PSX_20191006_073254.jpg
20190815_165742.jpg

Oct 6, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #3,186 of 9,521
Figured with most of the attention on the new VC's maybe we can get some love in the VO thread?

Just got my Zircote Open B Stocks yesterday. They are smoking! Still trying to figure out the difference between the BE2 and the Verite pads. Now, under normal light they are considerably darker, almost a Dark Walnut/ Dark Mahogany color, but I was unable to get a decent pic in normal light, so this is the best I could do with flash. Maybe with some outdoor light I can capture it's true color? Shout out to Zach for being so patient with me picking these out......lots of emails back and forth.

Killer wood grain...congrats

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #3,187 of 9,521

Ziricote for the win! Great looking set! They will look different in natural light...one of the cool things about ZMF headphones, they look gorgeous in pictures and even more amazing in person!

I’m definitely a big fan of what ZMF does! Great people, beautiful work and amazing sound!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #3,188 of 9,521

Love the look of Zircote. Every pair I’ve seen has been stunning, yours is as well! Congrats :)

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #3,189 of 9,521
Wow congrats on the lovely Ziricote B-stock! I’m enjoying mine just as much as you are. Currently missing mine since I am 7000 miles away from home. I cant wait to listen to them again!

Oh and by the way, the JDS atom is such a very capable amp that drives the Verite with no hesitation! Would not think twice recommending the atom to anyone looking for a no-nonsense affordable amp. Amp it with Topping D50s and you’re set!

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #3,190 of 9,521
Thanks guys. In low and normal light it has an almost chocolatey appearance. Once any light hits it....Bam.....you see all the grain nature gave it.

Not sure how much of a break in is needed but I am doing a small one anyway before I can figure out the true sound difference between the Zircote and what i remember of the Silkwood. The main difference is the weight though, as the Zircote is noticeably heavier. Not an Audeze feel, but heavier. I am in the process of adjusting the metal band to give me the right amount of clamp force and overall comfort.

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3,191 of 9,521
Question what is a good tube amp to go with not only the Verite but planers also? I would think this would have to be a full fledged tube amp with a transformer and not OTL. Let’s say for under $1,500?

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3,192 of 9,521
Gle
Question what is a good tube amp to go with not only the Verite but planers also? I would think this would have to be a full fledged tube amp with a transformer and not OTL. Let’s say for under $1,500?
glenn OTL with 6336 tubes,or he also makes an EL3N amp that is supposedly great for planars,but its about 2k

Oct 7, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #3,193 of 9,521
Gle
glenn OTL with 6336 tubes,or he also makes an EL3N amp that is supposedly great for planars,but its about 2k
Would love one and even love to hear one, but your review, which by the way was great, actually scared me a bit, with the 6 month wait and the fact that Glenn’s health is a little fragile. Since I am not going to do this right now, I would most likely have to hope to find a used one or look at something else like maybe.....a used Woo WA22?

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #3,194 of 9,521
Would love one and even love to hear one, but your review, which by the way was great, actually scared me a bit, with the 6 month wait and the fact that Glenn’s health is a little fragile. Since I am not going to do this right now, I would most likely have to hope to find a used one or look at something else like maybe.....a used Woo WA22?

I can confirm the WA22 works incredibly well with both my HEKse as well as the Verite and Eikon I auditioned on it. Love the amp!

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #3,195 of 9,521
@mixman I like my Cayin Ha-1a mk2 tube amp, it has an impedance selector, which should help with running planners and I found it to have a nice tube sound but closer to “neutral” at least in comparison to the more “tubey” BHC. I’m running all Tung-Sol (Russian new stock) and find it pretty nice, but I’m not a tube aficionado =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back