ZMF Verite Open
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,046 of 9,511
How long should I let tubes cook before listening? How do tubes sound in the beginning vs after 40 hours of play?

Depends on the tubes. Some needs a very short warming up time, others like the Tung Sol 6336b needs about 15 mins at least. Almost all NOS new tubes will peak after a burn in period. Some more so than others. It is not uncommon to expect 100 hours of burn in to get optimum SQ but generally I think after 30 hours is where you will hear a difference.

New tubes can sound harsh and sibilant but you will still hear that tube's tone. Gradually it will smooth out and you'll get the beautiful tone inherent to that tube type.

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #3,047 of 9,511
This is the mock up of my forthcoming amp early next year from Glenn. I just know that Verite will sound incredible with the clear sparkling tone of the Telefunken tubes and Lundahl transformers.

B8A413FF-3380-47F4-8FA5-C9FB4CAA1A52_2.jpg

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #3,048 of 9,511
Depends on the tubes. Some needs a very short warming up time, others like the Tung Sol 6336b needs about 15 mins at least. Almost all NOS new tubes will peak after a burn in period. Some more so than others. It is not uncommon to expect 100 hours of burn in to get optimum SQ but generally I think after 30 hours is where you will hear a difference.

New tubes can sound harsh and sibilant but you will still hear that tube's tone. Gradually it will smooth out and you'll get the beautiful tone inherent to that tube type.
Thanks better u

Thanks happy you told me what to expect.

Sep 25, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #3,050 of 9,511
Thanks my pleasure. Was looking at your headphones. Quite a line up there.
Thanks, different flavor every other day, but primarily listening to the Verite.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #3,051 of 9,511
Thanks, different flavor every other day, but primarily listening to the Verite.

Was actually looking seriously at a HE1000SE but Verite just keeps getting better and better. Hard to be tempted by other headphones when Verite is performing so well for me.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #3,052 of 9,511
Was actually looking seriously at a HE1000SE but Verite just keeps getting better and better. Hard to be tempted by other headphones when Verite is performing so well for me.
I tired to get a HE1000se that didn't break. I went through Amazon for the purchase. The first one that came had a none working driver sent it back. The next one again through Amazon worked for five minutes and the right driver died. So I didn't want to go through that so I kept HE1000v2. Been very happy with it's performance just QC issues with Hifiman. You would think a company like Hifiman would be on top of QC. One thing positive about Hifiman good customer service. The second they read my post on headfi they pm to resolve the issue.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #3,053 of 9,511
I tired to get a HE1000se that didn't break. I went through Amazon for the purchase. The first one that came had a none working driver sent it back. The next one again through Amazon worked for five minutes and the right driver died. So I didn't want to go through that so I kept HE1000v2. Been very happy with it's performance just QC issues with Hifiman. You would think a company like Hifiman would be on top of QC. One thing positive about Hifiman good customer service. The second they read my post on headfi they pm to resolve the issue.

Wow I read about QC issues with the HE1000SE too. It cost AUD$5500 here in Australia and you would expect a headphone that is without such dramas. However I also heard that the HE1000SE is a very good sounding HP, according to my friends.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #3,054 of 9,511
Wow I read about QC issues with the HE1000SE too. It cost AUD$5500 here in Australia and you would expect a headphone that is without such dramas. However I also heard that the HE1000SE is a very good sounding HP, according to my friends.
It sounded good for 5 minutes.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #3,056 of 9,511
Sep 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #3,058 of 9,511
It sounded good for 5 minutes.
Their CEO was quoted when asked why his headphones (I think it was in reference to original HE-1000, but I could be wrong) is so expensive: "because is sounds good".
Maybe the new quote for the 1000SE should be: They are expensive because they sounds so good for a few minutes! :wink:

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #3,059 of 9,511
Glad to say, no issues with my SE so far.......Knock on wood.
Careful with the knocking - apparently they do not last very long... :smirk:

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3,060 of 9,511
Their CEO was quoted when asked why his headphones (I think it was in reference to original HE-1000, but I could be wrong) is so expensive: "because is sounds good".
Maybe the new quote for the 1000SE should be: They are expensive because they sounds so good for a few minutes! :wink:

Zachik, you have only 5 minutes of fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back