ZMF Verite Open
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #256 of 9,521
Assuming you drive them from YOUR OTL... which tubes do you use? (I need to prepare... :wink:)

Driver: Mullard ECC31
Power: 4x RCA 6BX7
Rectifier: Cossor 53KU or 45IU w/ adaptor

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #257 of 9,521
Any impressions how Verite compares to Ether 2?

Almost polar opposites in terms of presentation: Verite is super textured, Ether 2 is super smooth and liquid.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #259 of 9,521
A couple quick first impressions... Here are some things that really stand out to me so far as being excellent on Verite:

Versus Blackwood Auteur, Auteur has a more chilled out and laid back sound. A natural ease. Music just kinda flows out of it. Verite is more in your face. Ultra dynamic. Bombastic even. It's like it digs down and just UNLEASHES the notes - everything has so much "pop" to it.

Micro and macro dynamics are absolutely exceptional. Switching from anything else to Verite is like switching to 4K HDR - there is just sharper color and depth to every note. This is because the texture of continuously changing volumes is reproduced so incredibly accurately and clearly. Super tangible and ultra realistic texture. I can see why the name "Verite" was chosen.

One of there really defining elements to the sound for me is the attack. Verite reproduces everything with a very tight, clear edge to it. Transients are A++++. I mean, when you talk about transient snap, this is about as good as it gets - has that electrostatic-like immediacy to it. Every sound that comes out of it, you're like, "I know exactly what the #$%& that sound is and where the $&?# it's coming from." It's just super assertive in it's sound. Love this!

Bass on Verite is beyond first class. Impact is super stiff. Great sense of suddenness to it. Even more power than the blackwood Auteur, which is exceptional in the bass dept. Bass clarity is planar-like - you just get that extra level of detail down low that you usually can't get with dynamics - super clear and detailed. Never congested. Really great differentiation between different notes/sounds/instruments down there.

If I'm boiling down the sound to one word, it would be "Vivid" - there is just so much color and contrast to the sound with gobs and gobs of clarity and dynamics. Very fun, exciting listen. Really loving what I've heard so far!

I like a laid back, punchy sound, (really I’m looking for a HD650 replacement with just more punch and slightly more sub bass) which is why I was going to go in on the Aeolus but these also sounds fantastic.

Captain Kirk scream, “Zaaaaaaach!”

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #260 of 9,521
That’s great, can’t wait to read your full review. As for Elear, I’ve converted mine to an Elex, and prefer the more balanced sound as a result, but the description above is very close to how I’d describe the impact and speed of both the Elear and Elex FWIW.

By the way, will you also be getting an Aeolus for review?

I have Aeolus here too.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #261 of 9,521
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #262 of 9,521
Which has the larger soundstage?

I’m not sure. My best guess is Verite with Universe pads is deeper and they are both similarly wide... within +/-10%

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #263 of 9,521
*Scratches neck* Got some reviews on them Aeolus? *Scratches neck*

I listened to it a bit, but don’t have a ton of impressions yet. It is a very laid back and relaxing listen. My first impression was that people who traditionally like that HD650 type of warm, relaxed sound are going to LOVE it.

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #264 of 9,521
giphy.gif

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #265 of 9,521
Yeah, it’s a little like the Blackwood Auteur had a baby with the Utopia. Universe pads make it a little more Auteurish and Verite pads make it a little more Utopiaish. Auteur is a bit more chilled out, whereas Verite is super vibrant and vivid.
Oh, not sure I need something between my Utopia and Auteur. Especially since I prefer Auter w/ Auteur pads and Utopia with Elex pads, which pushes them closer together in terms of tonality.

Perhaps I should go 2-for-1 and (dare I say it) sell my Auteur & Utopia leaving me with just Verite -- blasphemy :smiling_imp:
Then I could sell my EFO & HEKv2 to get Ether 2 :imp:

Sell my Pontus @ Sonica DAC to get Yggy A2
Sell my V280 & BHA-1 to get ... ???

This way lies madness :laughing: !!!

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #269 of 9,521
I'm so confused now !

So if you had a choice between hd800 auteurs atticus verite which two would you pick ?
Why just two? We must ZMF all the things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back