ZMF Verite Open
Oct 28, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #241 of 9,521
Reviewing that too!
I predict that will be a tough one to review. So many gadgets in there. Not your typical tube compliment either.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #242 of 9,521
A couple quick first impressions... Here are some things that really stand out to me so far as being excellent on Verite:

Versus Blackwood Auteur, Auteur has a more chilled out and laid back sound. A natural ease. Music just kinda flows out of it. Verite is more in your face. Ultra dynamic. Bombastic even. It's like it digs down and just UNLEASHES the notes - everything has so much "pop" to it.

Micro and macro dynamics are absolutely exceptional. Switching from anything else to Verite is like switching to 4K HDR - there is just sharper color and depth to every note. This is because the texture of continuously changing volumes is reproduced so incredibly accurately and clearly. Super tangible and ultra realistic texture. I can see why the name "Verite" was chosen.

One of there really defining elements to the sound for me is the attack. Verite reproduces everything with a very tight, clear edge to it. Transients are A++++. I mean, when you talk about transient snap, this is about as good as it gets - has that electrostatic-like immediacy to it. Every sound that comes out of it, you're like, "I know exactly what the #$%& that sound is and where the $&?# it's coming from." It's just super assertive in it's sound. Love this!

Bass on Verite is beyond first class. Impact is super stiff. Great sense of suddenness to it. Even more power than the blackwood Auteur, which is exceptional in the bass dept. Bass clarity is planar-like - you just get that extra level of detail down low that you usually can't get with dynamics - super clear and detailed. Never congested. Really great differentiation between different notes/sounds/instruments down there.

If I'm boiling down the sound to one word, it would be "Vivid" - there is just so much color and contrast to the sound with gobs and gobs of clarity and dynamics. Very fun, exciting listen. Really loving what I've heard so far!
How would you compare the soundstage to other zmf headphones or any headphone

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #243 of 9,521
Wow, how does it compare to utopia or planars like abyss or lcd3/4?

Yes. Would really like to hear how Verite will compare to LCD4z. Because those are insane. The bar is set way high with 4z. Beautiful as the wood is, at the end of the day, it is all about the sound.

Oct 28, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #244 of 9,521
How would you compare the soundstage to other zmf headphones or any headphone

It depends on which pad you are using. The Universe pads are a bit more spacious (also warmer and punchier). Very deep like the Auteur, but a bit wider overall.

The Verite pads feel a bit closer in, but they are also super clear and a bit brighter overall, so they aren’t congested or anything... it’s more like everything is magnified.

Interesting contrast between the two, they sound very different. Almost like two different headphones. I prefer the Universe pads, but I could definitely see someone seeing things the other way around too.

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #245 of 9,521
A couple quick first impressions... Here are some things that really stand out to me so far as being excellent on Verite:

Versus Blackwood Auteur, Auteur has a more chilled out and laid back sound. A natural ease. Music just kinda flows out of it. Verite is more in your face. Ultra dynamic. Bombastic even. It's like it digs down and just UNLEASHES the notes - everything has so much "pop" to it.

Micro and macro dynamics are absolutely exceptional. Switching from anything else to Verite is like switching to 4K HDR - there is just sharper color and depth to every note. This is because the texture of continuously changing volumes is reproduced so incredibly accurately and clearly. Super tangible and ultra realistic texture. I can see why the name "Verite" was chosen.

One of there really defining elements to the sound for me is the attack. Verite reproduces everything with a very tight, clear edge to it. Transients are A++++. I mean, when you talk about transient snap, this is about as good as it gets - has that electrostatic-like immediacy to it. Every sound that comes out of it, you're like, "I know exactly what the #$%& that sound is and where the $&?# it's coming from." It's just super assertive in it's sound. Love this!

Bass on Verite is beyond first class. Impact is super stiff. Great sense of suddenness to it. Even more power than the blackwood Auteur, which is exceptional in the bass dept. Bass clarity is planar-like - you just get that extra level of detail down low that you usually can't get with dynamics - super clear and detailed. Never congested. Really great differentiation between different notes/sounds/instruments down there.

If I'm boiling down the sound to one word, it would be "Vivid" - there is just so much color and contrast to the sound with gobs and gobs of clarity and dynamics. Very fun, exciting listen. Really loving what I've heard so far!
This is through the glenn otl amp ?

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #248 of 9,521
The Glenn OTL and the Manley Absolute.
Would be great if you get a chance to post your impressions with a solid state amp as well. Not all of us are as enamoured by tube amps as Zach is :p

Super first impressions by the way! Would you say the sound is in-your-face like Elear in-your-face? Not talking about other qualities, just that particular impression.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #249 of 9,521
So you would say they complement the auteurs ?

Yeah, it’s a little like the Blackwood Auteur had a baby with the Utopia. Universe pads make it a little more Auteurish and Verite pads make it a little more Utopiaish. Auteur is a bit more chilled out, whereas Verite is super vibrant and vivid.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #250 of 9,521
Would be great if you get a chance to post your impressions with a solid state amp as well. Not all of us are as enamoured by tube amps as Zach is :p

Super first impressions by the way! Would you say the sound is in-your-face like Elear in-your-face? Not talking about other qualities, just that particular impression.

I will. I’ve got plenty of solid state gear sitting here too!

I don’t really like the Elear, personally, so I can’t really give it much of a comparison. When I say it is in-your-face, I mean there is a ton of dynamic texture, transients are really snappy, and there is a lot of impact.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #251 of 9,521
Yeah, it’s a little like the Blackwood Auteur had a baby with the Utopia. Universe pads make it a little more Auteurish and Verite pads make it a little more Utopiaish. Auteur is a bit more chilled out, whereas Verite is super vibrant and vivid.
I mean what two headphones would you own if one had to be a verite ? Auteurs ? Atticus ? Abyss ?

Also the pair you have are of which wood ?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #252 of 9,521
I will. I’ve got plenty of solid state gear sitting here too!

I don’t really like the Elear, personally, so I can’t really give it much of a comparison. When I say it is in-your-face, I mean there is a ton of dynamic texture, transients are really snappy, and there is a lot of impact.
That’s great, can’t wait to read your full review. As for Elear, I’ve converted mine to an Elex, and prefer the more balanced sound as a result, but the description above is very close to how I’d describe the impact and speed of both the Elear and Elex FWIW.

By the way, will you also be getting an Aeolus for review?

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #254 of 9,521

Cant put them down can you it's 4:00am

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #255 of 9,521
Cant put them down can you it's 4:00am
Assuming you drive them from YOUR OTL... which tubes do you use? (I need to prepare... :wink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back