ZMF Verite Open
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #2,237 of 9,521
@tommytakis Welcome to the club! It seems that you ordered DSHA-3F, too. Verite + Ravenswood/3F is a wonderful combination.. I can confirm.

Thank you so much! Glad to join the ZMF fan club. Actually it was after reading the impressions from you and few others from "the site that must not be named" that made me jump on the purchase. I'm still fairly new at this hobby, but I'll do my best to contribute my part in impressions soon!

Oh geez, my hands are still shaking from all the excitement haha

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,238 of 9,521
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #2,239 of 9,521
I peeked my head into the CanJam space, pretty sure I saw Zach and Bevin setting up shop, hopefully they will have the new stand here =) long day at a theme park with the lil, and some friends and their nephews...might grab a cocktail later and call it an early night at the hotel, looking forward to my first CanJam.

Also if any of you get the chance to check out the RAALs ribbon headphones do it! They are a very nice compliment to the Verite....and it is a very awesome experience...to the point of me wanting them yesterday...

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,240 of 9,521
Missing my Eikon and Atticus but here are my opens:

A0EAFEC7-D3E9-42D5-A1B7-6329E182F703.jpeg
1675296F-2570-4395-9D4E-90493BC51BFA.jpeg

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2,241 of 9,521
Wow... just wow...

Thank you @zach915m for all your hard work and allowing us to enjoy such beautiful looking AND sounding headphone. I can't wait for all the cool and unique headphones you will produce in the future!

Thank you @BooUrns for the amazing customer service and kindness you have shown me. (I'm loving the cables btw) You and Zach are both wonderful human beings who deserve all the love and success in the world :)

seriously beautiful!!

Jun 22, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,242 of 9,521
Jun 23, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,243 of 9,521
Can anyone compare these with the focal Elex/Clear ?
I have the Elex and they are perfect except they clip with very loud bass tracks, their bass 10/10 but it clips at loud volumes and I want to upgrade to something that have the same property without of this drawback.

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #2,244 of 9,521
I’ve had the Elex, currently have the Clear, Aeolus and Verite. I personally prefer the Aeolus, and the Verite over the Focals. I will be selling my Clears here in the near future, due to the Aeolus... I have stopped wanting the Utopias due to the Verite. But that is me personally.

As per your specific question, the bass is, for me, better with the ZMF cans. I’ve yet to experience the clipping issue on them, nor have I heard of anyone having that issue. I have experienced it with the Elex though, but not with the Clears.

Hopefully that helps! I personally can recommend the ZMF headphones over the Focals... but we are all on different journeys of audio likes and dislikes.

Focals are a premium built Mercedes/Audi/BMW, ZMF is more akin to a custom built from the ground up sports car. You get consistency in the build with the mass produced Focal, but you get more “fun/flavor” and that nice, your headphones are unique to you with ZMF, along with quality handmade craftsmanship.

Personally I feel like ZMF Headphones verge on heirloom level of quality and uniqueness....but that is me =)

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #2,245 of 9,521
Jun 23, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,247 of 9,521
I’ve had the Elex, currently have the Clear, Aeolus and Verite. I personally prefer the Aeolus, and the Verite over the Focals. I will be selling my Clears here in the near future, due to the Aeolus... I have stopped wanting the Utopias due to the Verite. But that is me personally.

As per your specific question, the bass is, for me, better with the ZMF cans. I’ve yet to experience the clipping issue on them, nor have I heard of anyone having that issue. I have experienced it with the Elex though, but not with the Clears.

Hopefully that helps! I personally can recommend the ZMF headphones over the Focals... but we are all on different journeys of audio likes and dislikes.

Focals are a premium built Mercedes/Audi/BMW, ZMF is more akin to a custom built from the ground up sports car. You get consistency in the build with the mass produced Focal, but you get more “fun/flavor” and that nice, your headphones are unique to you with ZMF, along with quality handmade craftsmanship.

Personally I feel like ZMF Headphones verge on heirloom level of quality and uniqueness....but that is me =)

the thing I don't want to miss from the Elex is the bass impact without being elevated and the "black background", If the verite has those I will consider them as an upgrade from the Elex.
plus they look damn gorgeous!

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #2,248 of 9,521
the thing I don't want to miss from the Elex is the bass impact without being elevated and the "black background", If the verite has those I will consider them as an upgrade from the Elex.

In general, all focal had weakness of very low bass notes because of their smaller drivers (which need higher excursions to sound loud enough = higher not-so-happy distortions). Utopia and Elex chose a little different trade off (Quality vs Quantity) though. By contrast, Verite had MUCH cleaner, clearer, and more textured bass than Elex (I sold my Elex last month, by the way), without giving up quantity like Utopia (thus Utopia sounds a little lean in bass). With a good and authoritative amp, Verite has really great bass experience, only rivaled by a few.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2,250 of 9,521
plus they look damn gorgeous!

I just happen to run measurements of ZMF Verite (mahogany) and the Elex last night and posted on a diff forum. Here's an EARS compensated curve of the different pads with the Elex in gray if you care about such things. The area from 3-5KHz is a blackhole when using EARS and havent really been able to figure out why, but that's consistent with everyone who has used EARS.

HPN Pads.jpg

In terms of actual listening, I think the Elex is a tad punchier, but the Verite's bass is warmer and thicker. It's a close call. The Verite is noticeably darker but the detail retrieval tops the Elex, which I thought was really great before I got the Verite. I still like the Elex a lot and it probably more tonally correct but I still tend to reach for ZMF Verite for longer listening sessions, because it just has a nice warm sound that's resolving and great. The Elex, on the other hand, has that punchiness and dynamic speed that I find harder to concentrate on other things and end up focusing it all on the music. Good thing or bad thing, depending on my needs at the time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back