ZMF Verite Open
Jun 4, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,116 of 9,521
Personally, I prefer the Universal Lambskin, though the Suede is pretty close.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,117 of 9,521
My Verite should be shipping out later this week. What pad and material would you recommend if I wanted a more warm, lush mid, and not so bright sound signature?

The pads that ship attached,Universe pads.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,118 of 9,521
Jun 4, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #2,119 of 9,521
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #2,120 of 9,521
Then they remain my favorite, closely followed by the Suede Universal, with the BE2 as a distant third.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,121 of 9,521
So I’ve decided I’m going to get a Verite but in the meantime while I’m in the queue I’d like to upgrade my frontend. I’m thinking of either getting a GSX Mini or Zachs own Pendant amp as the tubes arent too expensive and its a fast amp. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations for tube amps around $2K that don’t sound soft? I want something that slams like a SS and also preserves some air, has detail, etc. I feel like a lot of tube amps around that price sound too bloomy or too soft sounding which takes away from the great speed of the Verite.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,122 of 9,521
So I’ve decided I’m going to get a Verite but in the meantime while I’m in the queue I’d like to upgrade my frontend. I’m thinking of either getting a GSX Mini or Zachs own Pendant amp as the tubes arent too expensive and its a fast amp. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations for tube amps around $2K that don’t sound soft? I want something that slams like a SS and also preserves some air, has detail, etc. I feel like a lot of tube amps around that price sound too bloomy or too soft sounding which takes away from the great speed of the Verite.

I’ve only heard both the amps you mention at Meets, so grain of salt, but if the Vérité is going to be your main headphone I’d go with the Pendent. It’s a powerful tube amp, and you can change the flavor with different tubes!

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2,123 of 9,521
I’ve only heard both the amps you mention at Meets, so grain of salt, but if the Vérité is going to be your main headphone I’d go with the Pendent. It’s a powerful tube amp, and you can change the flavor with different tubes!

What did you like about the Pendant? Zach gives like a $400 discount if theyre purchased together. I’ve gone off the tube rolling thing for a while but good sounding 12AU tubes dont cost much then it makes it easier to swallow.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,124 of 9,521

Hey! I have a pendant at home, that I used a lot with the auteur (and soon I will have the verite!). I can telly you it's an incredibly fast and resolving amp, with the most "liquid" sound I ever heard...dynamics are amazing, and the overall tone is pretty neutral-I would say a little bit v shaped for being a tube amp? Bass is very clean and powerful and treble is not laid back at all. It's a wonderful pairing with the zmf cans mids!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,125 of 9,521
The cost of the tubes is a huge plus, I have a 300b amp (that I love) so tube pain is a very familiar feeling! I liked the Pendent’s versatility, it plays well with both high ohm dynamics or low z planers.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,126 of 9,521
Hey! I have a pendant at home, that I used a lot with the auteur (and soon I will have the verite!). I can telly you it's an incredibly fast and resolving amp, with the most "liquid" sound I ever heard...dynamics are amazing, and the overall tone is pretty neutral-I would say a little bit v shaped for being a tube amp? Bass is very powerful and treble is not laid back at all. It's a wonderful pairing with the zmf cans mids!

Thanks for your insight! Glad to see youre enjoying yours and that its a fast amp. Any really good tubes you recommend? Is it worth swapping input and rectifier or all tubes? Do some affect the sound more than others? From other tube amps I’ve owned in the past the rectifier usually was the one that changed the sound the most while you could fine tune with the input tubes.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #2,127 of 9,521
The cost of the tubes is a huge plus, I have a 300b amp (that I love) so tube pain is a very familiar feeling! I liked the Pendent’s versatility, it plays well with both high ohm dynamics or low z planers.

Yeah those 300Bs are super expensive but there are some nice modern ones like Sophia that are relatively cheap. I think thats why the DNA and some Glenn amps are TOTL albeit way out of my price range!

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,128 of 9,521
Thanks for your insight! Glad to see youre enjoying yours and that its a fast amp. Any really good tubes you recommend? Is it worth swapping input and rectifier or all tubes? Do some affect the sound more than others? From other tube amps I’ve owned in the past the rectifier usually was the one that changed the sound the most while you could fine tune with the input tubes.

I didn't tube roll a lot! I think it sounds great with the stock tubes...you could try asking Justin of ampsandsound if he has any recommendations!

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,129 of 9,521
Nice Pendant review here by @grizzlybeast: http://earphiles.org/2019/04/zmf-pendant-review/

Also - as far as tubes, I've found I like the 12au7's the best with ZMF's for more play on the volume knob as the gain is lower. I've been using a NOS Bugle boy and Telefunken diamond 12au7 for a while and like them a lot.

There's tons of EL84's that work great, I recently got a batch of Russian EL84's that sound really nice and clean.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,130 of 9,521
Also - as far as tubes, I've found I like the 12au7's the best with ZMF's for more play on the volume knob as the gain is lower. I've been using a NOS Bugle boy and Telefunken diamond 12au7
How is the 3 dimensionality with the Telefunken in place? On the GOTL Ive noticed that the brighter the tubes,the less depth I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back