ZMF Verite Open
May 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,086 of 9,521
6F64A724-0F1F-46ED-85D9-3D43060D2B6A.jpeg BB211BDE-6F0C-4393-860B-96DBDFA9A33B.jpeg

Cross post from the Aeolus Thread, my “sick project,” I was a bit worried about RF issues, none noted. What I need is an elegant three In put, two output solution (would love recommendations, please)!

Attachments

• 1406AF06-6286-49BC-A022-E2E632B1A306.jpeg
    1406AF06-6286-49BC-A022-E2E632B1A306.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,087 of 9,521
What I need is an elegant three In put, two output solution (would love recommendations, please)!
Are you looking for a switch box or preamp with 3-in and 2-out?

May 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,088 of 9,521
I’m thinking a switch box old do the job, any recommendations?

May 24, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,089 of 9,521
I use Vampire RCAs. I do not notice any degradation of SQ.
However my situation is a one out,3 in,so not really sure if that would work.

May 25, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,090 of 9,521
IMG_0467.jpeg

Hey Guys,

So for the last few days I’ve been listening to the ZMF’s I have on loan exclusively. This morning, I decided it was time for some A/B testing with my current headphones, the Diana Phi, and Susvara :)

My overall take away is below

Though the ZMF’s might not match the technical prowess and detail of the Diana Phi and Susvara, they bring such an enjoyable tone and timbre to the table that I *still* feel very strongly about them (in terms of loving them.) The ZMFs, both the Verite and Eikon, have a wonderful harmonically rich sound that leaves one wanting more. I certainly have spent a few nights over the last week listening *way* too late into the night.

The Abyss are still, for me, my favourites. A bit cold and clinical (the exact *opposite* of the ZMF’s) and very exacting. Detailed, fast, and precise, with epic amounts of impact.

The Susvara is as detailed as the Abyss but with a slightly warmer tone, and a less intense treble response. Less impact than the Abyss. Presents a bigger sounding image than any of the headphones.

The Verite is just fun to listen to. Not as detailed as the Abyss, but bringing a smoother more relaxing, thicker listen to the table. It’s not far off in terms of detail, and it punches in a very similar way. Its weird, the Verite is punchier, where the Abyss has more impact. Thats the best way I can describe it, which I know isn’t very helpful. The mids are lovely on the Verite, warmer than the Susvara, and they just fill out the sonic spectrum nicely. They don’t sucked out and hollow.

The Eikon is sort of the odd man out. It’s a closed back headphone, so keep that in mind. It is also the most affordable of the bunch (which isn’t an indicator of quality just something to note.) It’s soundstage isn’t as wide as the others, which makes sense. Detail isn’t at the same level as the other three. HOWEVER, tone and timbre are epic. I love this headphone. Its lower treble can be a bit crunchy and have a tiny bit too much bite, but apart from that, this headphone just presents music in a way that sounds real. Is it the bio-cellulose driver combined with wood housing? I’m really not too sure. It just *works.* Similar to the Verite, the Eikon is punchy.

The Planar Magnetics seem to be "airier" sounding, and the DD's seem to be more focused and full sounding. They compliment each other well. If I had to chose, I would keep my Diana Phi and Susvara. However, what this has shown me is that there is a hole in my set up in terms of sound signatures, and I didn't fully realise that before.

I’m going to be straight up honest. I want to buy these headphones. I’m not sure I’ll be able to figure it out, as I just spent my headphone budget on my new amp, but….I’m definitely going to try. They are that enjoyable to me :)

May 25, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,091 of 9,521

Hey Guys,

So for the last few days I’ve been listening to the ZMF’s I have on loan exclusively. This morning, I decided it was time for some A/B testing with my current headphones, the Diana Phi, and Susvara :)

My overall take away is below

Though the ZMF’s might not match the technical prowess and detail of the Diana Phi and Susvara, they bring such an enjoyable tone and timbre to the table that I *still* feel very strongly about them (in terms of loving them.) The ZMFs, both the Verite and Eikon, have a wonderful harmonically rich sound that leaves one wanting more. I certainly have spent a few nights over the last week listening *way* too late into the night.

The Abyss are still, for me, my favourites. A bit cold and clinical (the exact *opposite* of the ZMF’s) and very exacting. Detailed, fast, and precise, with epic amounts of impact.

The Susvara is as detailed as the Abyss but with a slightly warmer tone, and a less intense treble response. Less impact than the Abyss. Presents a bigger sounding image than any of the headphones.

The Verite is just fun to listen to. Not as detailed as the Abyss, but bringing a smoother more relaxing, thicker listen to the table. It’s not far off in terms of detail, and it punches in a very similar way. Its weird, the Verite is punchier, where the Abyss has more impact. Thats the best way I can describe it, which I know isn’t very helpful. The mids are lovely on the Verite, warmer than the Susvara, and they just fill out the sonic spectrum nicely. They don’t sucked out and hollow.

The Eikon is sort of the odd man out. It’s a closed back headphone, so keep that in mind. It is also the most affordable of the bunch (which isn’t an indicator of quality just something to note.) It’s soundstage isn’t as wide as the others, which makes sense. Detail isn’t at the same level as the other three. HOWEVER, tone and timbre are epic. I love this headphone. Its lower treble can be a bit crunchy and have a tiny bit too much bite, but apart from that, this headphone just presents music in a way that sounds real. Is it the bio-cellulose driver combined with wood housing? I’m really not too sure. It just *works.* Similar to the Verite, the Eikon is punchy.

The Planar Magnetics seem to be "airier" sounding, and the DD's seem to be more focused and full sounding. They compliment each other well. If I had to chose, I would keep my Diana Phi and Susvara. However, what this has shown me is that there is a hole in my set up in terms of sound signatures, and I didn't fully realise that before.

I’m going to be straight up honest. I want to buy these headphones. I’m not sure I’ll be able to figure it out, as I just spent my headphone budget on my new amp, but….I’m definitely going to try. They are that enjoyable to me :)

Very nice write up, especially your comparison of the Vérité and Abyss!

May 25, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2,092 of 9,521
Verite with BE2 pads & SS amplification have pretty much taken over my listening time. The combination of speed, grip, bass extension/impact/control, and an expansive soundstage is just so addicting for tracks like Extrawelt's Dark Side of My Room. But the other reason they are getting so much head time I think is because how comfortable they are. The comfort factor is super high; I've never had to put them down because of fatigue.

IMG_8772.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,093 of 9,521
Verite with BE2 pads & SS amplification have pretty much taken over my listening time. The combination of speed, grip, bass extension/impact/control, and an expansive soundstage is just so addicting for tracks like Extrawelt's Dark Side of My Room. But the other reason they are getting so much head time I think is because how comfortable they are. The comfort factor is super high; I've never had to put them down because of fatigue.

Nice pics!
Nice tune too.

May 27, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,094 of 9,521
There are also pink noise generators online that can be used for burn-in.

I have 1 pink noise mp3 & 1 gaussian noise mp3. I just put them both on repeat on JRiver for 150 hrs. These files sound different & have very different frequency spectra (gaussian noise tilts toward bass).

I can't be sure these are better than just looping music, but they may be...

May 27, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,095 of 9,521
Listening to the Moody Blues, high rez on Qobuz, once again being reminded of how great the Vérité truly is! Yes the music is dated, and recorded in an obscenely close miked, but via the Hugo2, WA5 and Vérité (+ Michanikós), you are sitting in the orchestra pit! Though the big deal for me is lack of distortion in vocals, I truly thought it was an unavoidable issue, every other Can I have or have listened to this recording breaks up on several different passages, the Vérité is the exception.

I have an Atticus incoming, once I get a chance to acclimate to it, I’m coming out of my reviewing hiatus, I find the ZMFs inspiring (yes, count me as a Fan Boi)!

May 28, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,097 of 9,521
Count me as a Fan Boi too lol... I am now eyeballing headphones to sell... :thinking:

I sold my beloved one of a kind Atticus to help fund the Auteur/Verite. I felt horrible selling it. Even had to ask Zach for his blessing,lol.

As much as i liked the Atticus,the Auteur/Verite combo is much more to my liking. Different enough from one another that they dont sound redundant.

TL;DR Sell away. no regrets will be had.

May 28, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #2,098 of 9,521
Yeah, I have a very bad Collectors mentality sometimes... I actually have a bunch of action figures still in the boxes on display...(why my wife puts up with me...I have no idea lol). I luckily only have a couple of amps, and headphones to move, that I picked up on my journey of experience and learning in this hobby. Notables I would let go of are HD700, Focal Elex, Focal Elegia(eventually this will help purchase the Focal Stellia potentially...still can't get over the color scheme...but I do like the sound of the Stellia). Only two lower end amps/DACs too.

May 28, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #2,099 of 9,521
Yeah, I have a very bad Collectors mentality sometimes... I actually have a bunch of action figures still in the boxes on display..

Yeah,I have over 2000 un-opened Hot Wheels from the late 80s and 90s. Seemed like a great investment at the time. Too bad about a gazillion other people had the same idea. Would flip them to finance other interests,but they dont command much return on investment these days,outside of a few rare ones.

I luckily only have a couple of amps, and headphones to move, that I picked up on my journey of experience and learning in this hobby. Notables I would let go of are HD700, Focal Elex, Focal Elegia(eventually this will help purchase the Focal Stellia potentially...still can't get over the color scheme...but I do like the sound of the Stellia). Only two lower end amps/DACs too.

Although I have quite a few headphones,almost all of them get used,some more than others,but since getting the Verite im no longer feeling the upgrade itch. Ive had the chance to listen to other TOTL headphones and compared them head to head to my Verite,and I've pretty much reached end game as far as headphones go.

These days I spend my time saving up for pricey tubes,and eventually,a Denafrips Terminator. I will then be completely finished..........Until Zach releases a planar.

May 28, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #2,100 of 9,521
I recently, in the last year, sold a large collection of Star Wars memorabilia I had assembled since my childhood. After a recent move I just had nowhere to keep it. My wife always shook her head when I said it was an investment. It went for almost $22,000. Funded a pair of Abyss, LCD-4, Utopia, and a Z1R. A fine return if I do say so myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back