ZMF Verite Open
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,131 of 9,521
Nice Pendant review here by @grizzlybeast: http://earphiles.org/2019/04/zmf-pendant-review/

Also - as far as tubes, I've found I like the 12au7's the best with ZMF's for more play on the volume knob as the gain is lower. I've been using a NOS Bugle boy and Telefunken diamond 12au7 for a while and like them a lot.

There's tons of EL84's that work great, I recently got a batch of Russian EL84's that sound really nice and clean.

Zach, which set of tubes do you find impacts the sound more? The input 12AXX or the driver EL84s? I believe the 84s are primarily Russian anyway so not surprising that you found some good Russian tubes you liked.

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,132 of 9,521
How is the 3 dimensionality with the Telefunken in place? On the GOTL Ive noticed that the brighter the tubes,the less depth I get.

Yeah the Telefunken is brighter - but it works well with the Verite with my preferred Universe Lamb pads as the sound is pretty 3d already and it gives the Verite a nice "edge." The Bugle Boy's are my all around favorite.

Zach, which set of tubes do you find impacts the sound more? The input 12AXX or the driver EL84s? I believe the 84s are primarily Russian anyway so not surprising that you found some good Russian tubes you liked.

I think the 12a input tubes change the character the most from what I've found with the output El84's being the second most affecting of the timbre. Just having a really good matching set of EL84's is always key. The Mullard/Hammonds are nice, but sometimes a little warm for me. I have some Philips ones I found that are really nice. Justin likes the black plate Baldwin's which are excellent.

Edit: Also I will have the monoblock version of the Pendant at CanJam SoCal - which will be called "LeeLoo Monos" which goes back to the OG name of this ampsandsound amp. The Monoblock is not a circuit board design like the Pendant and is all point to point and has a total redesign of components. It also uses auricaps to the wima caps we decided on in the Pendant. So slightly smoother tone.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2,133 of 9,521
but it works well with the Verite with my preferred Universe Lamb pads as the sound is pretty 3d already and it gives the Verite a nice "edge."

Yup,the EL8s w/ adapters in the C3G slots also give the Verite a nice healthy dose of pop on snares and great edge too. I just lose a lot of the holographic staging unfortunately.

Jun 8, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #2,134 of 9,521
Joined the club. :)

P1030268.JPG

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,136 of 9,521
Jun 8, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2,138 of 9,521
Never thought of watching a movie with these headphones as I have a sound system for the TV.

Watching “I am Mother” on Netflix and I’m really enjoying how the Verite reproduces small ambient noises and the great sound track. I may just watch more movies on PC.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,141 of 9,521
For US buyers; there isn’t a way to audition these headphones in the states, is there?

I’d imagine my options are:

1. Go to a show
2. Go to a meet if a Verite is there
3. Find a local friend with one

Is there any other way to audition one?

Jun 8, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,142 of 9,521
Gorgeous headphones! What does it say in the middle of the grille?!? Thought they were plain in the middle besides the prototypes.

Hi, yea there is "something" in the center of the grill. Looks like the ZMF logo but not cut perfectly. This was a limited mahogany unit that was considered a prototype that @zach915m refurbished with updated driver and what not. Since it was a unique wood type, I took a chance on it and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #2,143 of 9,521
Hi, yea there is "something" in the center of the grill. Looks like the ZMF logo but not cut perfectly. This was a limited mahogany unit that was considered a prototype that @zach915m refurbished with updated driver and what not. Since it was a unique wood type, I took a chance on it and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Yea, they had issues getting the ZMF logo getting cut correctly, so it ended up getting dropped. Only the early/prototype unit's had them.

Mahogany looks fantastic though!!!

Jun 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,144 of 9,521
Plus now you have a very extremely rare Headphone collector's item :wink: Congrats again! talk about limited edition =)

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,145 of 9,521
For US buyers; there isn’t a way to audition these headphones in the states, is there?

I’d imagine my options are:

1. Go to a show
2. Go to a meet if a Verite is there
3. Find a local friend with one

Is there any other way to audition one?

Where in NC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back