ZMF Verite Open
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,712 of 9,521
I tried the HEK V2 but the treble was too much for me even with warmer tube. I was planning on trading up to the HEKSes but as much as I enjoyed the rest of the headphones technicalities I wanted something warmer hence the E2s.

I am not sure, but it might be the case that your HEKV2 was a less-than-average unit among others (project86 once said several hekv2s he heard sounded differently). If you like the Ananda, I am pretty much sure that you will like the HEKse because it is better in every way. I never heard this level of clean, airy, and transparent presentation of music, while being much dynamic. Hope you hear it in a meet in the future.

Sorry for digression. Back to the Verite.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,713 of 9,521
A musical recommendation, which sounds incredibly good on the Vérité, for some serious lounge lizard, very laid back Tucson music...

Howe Gelb (formerly Giant Sand), “Gathered”

I get a Lou Reed vibe from this musician. More how his voice sounds than anything else.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,714 of 9,521
I get a Lou Reed vibe from this musician. More how his voice sounds than anything else.
Funny, I pm'd @Wildcatsare1 to say I heard some Jakob Dylan vibe -- more his solo stuff than Wallflowers. Kinda Dust Bowl sounding maybe. Spent the weekend picking through Howe & Giant Sand. Added quite a few tunes to my 'All Favorites' playlist :)

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,715 of 9,521
Funny, I pm'd @Wildcatsare1 to say I heard some Jakob Dylan vibe -- more his solo stuff than Wallflowers. Kinda Dust Bowl sounding maybe. Spent the weekend picking through Howe & Giant Sand. Added quite a few tunes to my 'All Favorites' playlist :)

Kind of surprised to realize I'd never heard Jakob Dylan sing. Just heard 3-4 tunes. Great voice. And yes, some similarity to this singer. Not a lot, just enough.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,716 of 9,521
yWires Platinum
Danacable Lazuli Reference

Curious to get everyone's impressions - I loved the Auteurs smooth mid range but I felt it lacked dynamics because it was too neutral. I loved the treble sparkle and detail the Auteurs had. What I mainly look for in a headphone nowadays is rich mids/detailed mids with good treble micro-detail. It also should have a bit of an engaging feeling while still feeling laid back. Essentially, a combination of warm with excellent detail is what I'm looking for. Does that describe the Verite well? I think the closest thing I've gotten to that coming from my LCD 2's which have awesome dynamics and subbass is my elears.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,717 of 9,521
Essentially, a combination of warm with excellent detail is what I'm looking for. Does that describe the Verite well?

Absolutely. Perfectly.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,718 of 9,521
Curious to get everyone's impressions - I loved the Auteurs smooth mid range but I felt it lacked dynamics because it was too neutral. I loved the treble sparkle and detail the Auteurs had. What I mainly look for in a headphone nowadays is rich mids/detailed mids with good treble micro-detail. It also should have a bit of an engaging feeling while still feeling laid back. Essentially, a combination of warm with excellent detail is what I'm looking for. Does that describe the Verite well? I think the closest thing I've gotten to that coming from my LCD 2's which have awesome dynamics and subbass is my elears.

I was in the same position you are. I found what i was looking for in aeolus..now i am waiting for my verite..i think only zmf can outperform itself

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,719 of 9,521
Beautiful pair.

I'm heading down the same road you are. I've made up my mind on selling the Ether 2 and Ananda for the Aeolus.

What are you waiting for? Had both, felt the exact same way. I dont think it worth to spend 2k for ether2 imho. they can't compare to aeolus except the planar rumble, but it is not enough

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,720 of 9,521
Talking about amplifier...what kind of balanced amp would you recommend for the Verite? I was thinking of the Violectric V280 but I am opened for other suggestions. The V280 sells in Europe (where I live) for 1500 euro. Considering the price of the Verite I would prefer going lower with the budget...

Thanks

Did you consider audio gd nfb1? It has the best value for the money ratio with balanced output. It is powerful enough to drive anything, it has remote and the perfect volume control.. Pair it with a good balanced dac and you have an end game ss. It is neutral. Also if you buy it from the italian seller you can ask the transparent "hood", very cool

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,721 of 9,521
I was in the same position you are. I found what i was looking for in aeolus..now i am waiting for my verite..i think only zmf can outperform itself

My concern with the Aeolus is the crazy midbass that the Atticus had - is that still the case with the Aeolus? It felt it bled too much into the mids which made them fun, but ultimately distracting headphones. Using the Eikon pads helped out but also reduced some of tthe Atticus's blacker background and mid warmth.

Absolutely. Perfectly.
How would you describe the detail in comparison to the HD800s or Utopias? Utopias had a fatiguing amount of detail, which while impressive was excessive even from a modest setup while with HD800 also pushed detail too far in my face. I really enjoyed playing around with different micro-detali with the Auteurs as they were audible but pushed further back. I also loved their transparency with equipment as I could audibly hear differences between cables, source changes, and tube rolls with it.

The speed of the Verities also has me interested ever since I started listening to Focals lineup.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,722 of 9,521
My concern with the Aeolus is the crazy midbass that the Atticus had - is that still the case with the Aeolus? It felt it bled too much into the mids which made them fun, but ultimately distracting headphones. Using the Eikon pads helped out but also reduced some of tthe Atticus's blacker background and mid warmth.

How would you describe the detail in comparison to the HD800s or Utopias? Utopias had a fatiguing amount of detail, which while impressive was excessive even from a modest setup while with HD800 also pushed detail too far in my face. I really enjoyed playing around with different micro-detali with the Auteurs as they were audible but pushed further back. I also loved their transparency with equipment as I could audibly hear differences between cables, source changes, and tube rolls with it.

The speed of the Verities also has me interested ever since I started listening to Focals lineup.

I don't find it distracting but ymmv... I don't know what music you listen to..
But if you settled with elear i don't think you could find aeolus too much mid bass humped. There are also the pads that flat a little the fr... I don't like them

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,723 of 9,521
Apr 15, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,724 of 9,521
How would you describe the detail in comparison to the HD800s or Utopias?

I have never owned either headphone,and what limited experience I do have were in show/CanJam environments,so I dont think anything I say would be worth much.
There is zero fatigue with the Verite,yet theyre very detailed. Perhaps not to the degree of treble blasters like a Beyer T1(which I did previously own)
The imaging and staging of the Verite allows me to focus in on various parts of a song at my leisure,as opposed to it being slammed into my cranium like a T1 does.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,725 of 9,521

The Aeolus doesn't have as extreme midbass hump that the Atticus has. You can even reduce it more with different pad options.

Verite vs Utopia
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite.890270/page-60#post-14641432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back