ZMF Verite Open
Apr 15, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #1,741 of 9,521
Apr 16, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,742 of 9,521
A marriage made in Heaven, The Grateful Dead and the Vérité, greatly enjoying live Dead! I’m an admitted tonal accuracy, natural intonation freak, Zach’s Art is what I’ve been looking for since I got into HeadFi. It checks that box, big time.

After my knee surgeries forced an early retirement from football (AZ Wildcats, hence the name), I made the natural transition to bouncer :muscle:, so I worked the Tucson bar scene in the early 80’s. Watched great local bands like the Giant Sandworms (Howe Gelb, Giant Sand), Sidewinders, and touring bands like Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and of course, the Dead when they played at Compton Terrace and Red Rocks (Colorado). A frustrated guitar player (football=broken fingers), I love acoustic music. The Vérité, Aeolus, Autuer are the embodiment of all of the above. Zach’s a young pup, but somehow he managed to capture all of the above and put it into his creations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqrOnhiNXhAhXKzlkKHSNUAYEQjhx6BAgBEAI&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_the_Grateful_Dead_Live&psig=AOvVaw1gRgxxfN1FrR40CpTEGk_u&ust=1555519735764063

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,743 of 9,521
A marriage made in Heaven, The Grateful Dead and the Vérité, greatly enjoying live Dead! I’m an admitted tonal accuracy, natural intonation freak, Zach’s Art is what I’ve been looking for since I got into HeadFi. It checks that box, big time.

After my knee surgeries forced an early retirement from football (AZ Wildcats, hence the name), I made the natural transition to bouncer :muscle:, so I worked the Tucson bar scene in the early 80’s. Watched great local bands like the Giant Sandworms (Howe Gelb, Giant Sand), Sidewinders, and touring bands like Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and of course, the Dead when they played at Compton Terrace and Red Rocks (Colorado). A frustrated guitar player (football=broken fingers), I love acoustic music. The Vérité, Aeolus, Autuer are the embodiment of all of the above. Zach’s a young pup, but somehow he managed to capture all of the above and put it into his creations.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjqrOnhiNXhAhXKzlkKHSNUAYEQjhx6BAgBEAI&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_the_Grateful_Dead_Live&psig=AOvVaw1gRgxxfN1FrR40CpTEGk_u&ust=1555519735764063

There seems to be some sort of magic synergy between ZMF cans and acoustic music. Might have something to do with the fact that Zach built acoustic guitars and took a lot of inspiration from builders like Vega and Fairbanks/Cole. I have a 1920 Vega Cylinderback Mandolin with Burl Maple back and sides. It reminds me very much of Zach’s work.

This is also why I am counting the hours until I can start using my Atticus as studio monitors for recording the folksy, slightly progressive bluegrass and old time music that I write and perform!

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #1,744 of 9,521
A marriage made in Heaven, The Grateful Dead and the Vérité, greatly enjoying live Dead!...
Wait, are you telling me Verite is challenging Auteur as 'Greatest Deadphones' title holder?
Looks like an interesting compilation. As the write-up mentions, missing Pigpen. Need 'Good Morning, Litttle Schoolgirl' from 'Two from the Vault'. Of course that wasn't in the catalog they could draw from.

Could have added 'Turn on Your Love Light' from Live/Dead, but alas (Brautigan reference).

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,745 of 9,521
There seems to be some sort of magic synergy between ZMF cans and acoustic music. Might have something to do with the fact that Zach built acoustic guitars and took a lot of inspiration from builders like Vega and Fairbanks/Cole. I have a 1920 Vega Cylinderback Mandolin with Burl Maple back and sides. It reminds me very much of Zach’s work.

This is also why I am counting the hours until I can start using my Atticus as studio monitors for recording the folksy, slightly progressive bluegrass and old time music that I write and perform!

Please keep me up to date with your recordings, I’d love to hear them!

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,746 of 9,521
Can you guys describe the warmth of the Verities in comparison to the LCD2, 3s, 650s or Nighthawks? How dark is it really? Is it a slight bit brighter than the Aeolus in comparison? Just trying to get an idea if I'd like the sonic signature. Right now I do like the air I get from the Elears and I loved the air the Auteurs had but that can also lead to some dryness.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,747 of 9,521
I have the LCD2C & Nightowl, also used to have the HD6xx. The Verite is like a warmer, smoother Focal Utopia to me. It has warmth from the bass presence in my opinion, but it's not dark. Far more revealing than the 3 i mentioned for comparison. Treble is really smooth, and detail is there if you care for it, especially if you run the flatter Verite pads.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,748 of 9,521
Can you guys describe the warmth of the Verities in comparison to the LCD2, 3s, 650s or Nighthawks? How dark is it really? Is it a slight bit brighter than the Aeolus in comparison? Just trying to get an idea if I'd like the sonic signature. Right now I do like the air I get from the Elears and I loved the air the Auteurs had but that can also lead to some dryness.
Zach posted this on Reddit a while back on an aeolus review.

For those interested in a quick flow chart of our headphones from most neutral to warmest: auteur>Verite>Eikon>Aeolus>Atticus - This is with stock pads FYI.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,749 of 9,521
I have the LCD2C & Nightowl, also used to have the HD6xx. The Verite is like a warmer, smoother Focal Utopia to me. It has warmth from the bass presence in my opinion, but it's not dark. Far more revealing than the 3 i mentioned for comparison. Treble is really smooth, and detail is there if you care for it, especially if you run the flatter Verite pads.

Are the mids more forward than the Auteurs? The relatively neutral Auteurs mids were nice but didn't feel as engaging. I feel like my Elears mids are a bit more forward or balanced than the Auteurs. Obviously that can be tweaked with tubes but I might want to go SS this time around.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,750 of 9,521

Exactly, in my opinion as well, the Vérité is a far more musical (timbre, intonation, lack of metal sheen in the high treble, and much bigger soundstage) version of the Utopia.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,751 of 9,521
Anyone using a Chord Qutest as their DAC with the Verite and using a solid state amp? If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I think most use a tube amp.

I ask because I think the Qutest and Verite share some similar qualities in how they produce sound... both have great resolution, timbre, fluid presentation, depth of notes, detailed without and treble peak, great soundstage. The exception is that the Verite is a touch warm IMO (not a bad thing) and the Qutest is very neutral. I demoed them together briefly and enjoyed the pairing, but I’m curious if any owners have more significant time with them.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,752 of 9,521
Anyone using a Chord Qutest as their DAC with the Verite and using a solid state amp? If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I think most use a tube amp.

I ask because I think the Qutest and Verite share some similar qualities in how they produce sound... both have great resolution, timbre, fluid presentation, depth of notes, detailed without and treble peak, great soundstage. The exception is that the Verite is a touch warm IMO (not a bad thing) and the Qutest is very neutral. I demoed them together briefly and enjoyed the pairing, but I’m curious if any owners have more significant time with them.

I use the Hugo2, used directly, they sound great, but nowhere close to adding the WA5 to the chain.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,753 of 9,521
I use the Hugo2, used directly, they sound great, but nowhere close to adding the WA5 to the chain.

That sucks that they're really only meant for tubes as I was thinking of getting a Auralic Taurus to use with the Verite if I ended up with it because I've gotten tired of constantly spending big $$ on NOS tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,754 of 9,521
That sucks that they're really only meant for tubes as I was thinking of getting a Auralic Taurus to use with the Verite if I ended up with it because I've gotten tired of constantly spending big $$ on NOS tubes.

I dont think its necessary to use tubes to enjoy the Verite. Yes I love it from my GOTL,and yes they sound the best (to me) with GEC tubes(thus far),which arent cheap,but they sound hella good from my old Sansui 881 too.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,755 of 9,521
I dont think its necessary to use tubes to enjoy the Verite. Yes I love it from my GOTL,and yes they sound the best (to me) with GEC tubes,which arent cheap,but they sound hella good from my old Sansui 881 too.

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of vintage SS have fairly high output impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back