ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #12,376 of 12,497
As to Verite Closed, I don't think that OTC vs OTL is a 'catch-all' for h/p/a that partner well. I'm with @Wes S: it is amplifier / tube specific. I will say that, for me, with the right h/p/a, VC sound is divine & certainly does not sound 'closed-back'.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #12,377 of 12,497
Does the VC pair better with output-transformer amps than with OTL amps in your experience?
I had the same question when deciding on my endgame 1101 tube amp build. Here’s the extremely detailed and helpful response I got from @A2029. Basically “it depends” and “either can sound good” :)

“It really comes down to flavor as you mention. A typical SET amp will inherently have higher output distortion, and a specific type of distortion due to the particular magnetic hysteresis properties of the output transformers (aka "transformer tone"). From the perspective of clarity and faithful reproduction of the signal from the DAC, a SET based amp will impart tonal qualities both from the tubes as well as from the transformer, and therefore be a less faithful reproduction of the signal on the output. The good thing is that transformer tone from a good transformer can sound really good (generally 2nd harmonic in nature), so it trades off clarity/reproduction accuracy for a more "organic" tone. OTL amps are generally lower distortion amps that have greater clarity and more faithfully reproduce the incoming signal from the DAC. Because tubes are primarily voltage amplifying devices (they don't do well with amplifying/producing current), there needs to be either an output transformer that takes the high voltage swings and converts it to low voltage, high current swings to drive low impedance headphones/speakers, or the tube can be paired with high impedance headphones (e.g. 300ohm ZMF/Sennheisers) as high impedance headphones ask for much more voltage swing and very little current. In this way, OTL amps have a great synergy with high impedance headphones because those headphones allow the tubes to do what they do best (voltage amplification), and without losing signal quality from the output transformer doing it's magnetic magic dance to transform the big voltage swings into smaller ones. I think BH+ is an excellent choice for pairing with high impedance headphones such as the ZMF's as it has the BH mode where distortion is minimized, and also the BH+ mode where more tube distortion can be added, without losing clarity due to a transformer in the signal path. A SET amp can have a very enjoyable distortion profile though if spec'd correctly, so again comes down to what flavor is desired, and I think both have their place.”

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #12,378 of 12,497
After trying the VC with the Midgard there’s a lot I like about it. I feel like the Midgard really “wakes up” the VC in a way that the Folkvangr doesn’t, with a much more neutral FR presentation, more detail, more impact/slam, and deeper bass.

What I lose with the Midgard vs the Folkvangr is that holographic sense of 3D presentation. Imaging is still there, but the soundstage feels shrunken down and more discrete instead of a large seamless field.

The Folkvangr is still the best pairing I’ve heard with either the Auteur and the Beyerdynamic T90, but I think the richness is just too much with the VC - it’s like hollandaise on A5 wagyu, just too much of a good thing.

I do think either a more neutral tube amp or a tube hybrid would be a great pairing with the VC, something to wake it up while giving it that tube-y holographic stage. I already know I loved it with the Sparkos Gemini.

Has anyone tried theirs with the Schiit Lyr+? If so what did you think of the pairing?

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #12,379 of 12,497
After trying the VC with the Midgard there’s a lot I like about it. I feel like the Midgard really “wakes up” the VC in a way that the Folkvangr doesn’t, with a much more neutral FR presentation, more detail, more impact/slam, and deeper bass.

What I lose with the Midgard vs the Folkvangr is that holographic sense of 3D presentation. Imaging is still there, but the soundstage feels shrunken down and more discrete instead of a large seamless field.

The Folkvangr is still the best pairing I’ve heard with either the Auteur and the Beyerdynamic T90, but I think the richness is just too much with the VC - it’s like hollandaise on A5 wagyu, just too much of a good thing.

I do think either a more neutral tube amp or a tube hybrid would be a great pairing with the VC, something to wake it up while giving it that tube-y holographic stage. I already know I loved it with the Sparkos Gemini.

Has anyone tried theirs with the Schiit Lyr+? If so what did you think of the pairing?

Shows that price isn't everything when it comes to amp pairing. Synergy is key!

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #12,381 of 12,497
I had the same question when deciding on my endgame 1101 tube amp build. Here’s the extremely detailed and helpful response I got from @A2029. Basically “it depends” and “either can sound good” :)
Mischa @A2029 is the man!
I truly love his excellent explanations. @raindownthunda Thanks for posting for the benefit of us all :pray:

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #12,383 of 12,497
I searched the forum up and down for info on the Koa limited run of the VC, but didn't really find anything specific. Can anyone tell me the original run size and when it was released exactly?

Did I understand correctly, that the case that goes with the VC is the "Seahorse" case? Or is that a general case that goes with any ZMF HP?

@zach915m I saw the "Wood" page on your site but is there a place where you have specifics available on the individual runs (not the individual one-offs) like weight, pads, or accessory differences and what a particular type of wood does to the sonics of this particular headphone (VC in this case)? It's not only the looks, is it?

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #12,384 of 12,497
I searched the forum up and down for info on the Koa limited run of the VC, but didn't really find anything specific. Can anyone tell me the original run size and when it was released exactly?

Did I understand correctly, that the case that goes with the VC is the "Seahorse" case? Or is that a general case that goes with any ZMF HP?

@zach915m I saw the "Wood" page on your site but is there a place where you have specifics available on the individual runs (not the individual one-offs) like weight, pads, or accessory differences and what a particular type of wood does to the sonics of this particular headphone (VC in this case)? It's not only the looks, is it?
The Seahorse case is the stock case for all but the Bokeh and at times wood cases have been an option. I'm pretty sure it was early 2022 since that's when I ordered mine, but it might have started in late 2021.

With harder woods they tend to seem faster since they have faster decay, the mid-bass can be a bit tighter too. I had a stabilized before the Koa, which I slightly preferred so plan to also get a Blackwood one eventually. In both the Open and Closed the hard woods come across as a more exciting experience. Weight can vary a lot even within the same type of wood. My stabilized with stainless rods were 571g, and Koa with brass rods (heaviest option) are 518, both with Magnesium chassis. Black rods are the lightest. I think the lambskin Auteur has been the stock pad all along, with Universe being the secondary recommended pad.

I haven't generally seen run sizes mentioned except in rare cases like when the Bubinga Atrium was introduced or maybe some others where he's disclosed they only have 30 or 50 or whatever.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #12,385 of 12,497
Thanks @robo24 for the insight!

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #12,386 of 12,497
Happy to join the VC family. Coming here after Focal Elegias, I hope I will have a chance to compare these to Focal Stellias one day. But for now - I am more than happy. I loved the sound of Elegia, but VCs have spoiled them for me. :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #12,387 of 12,497
Happy to join the VC family. Coming here after Focal Elegias, I hope I will have a chance to compare these to Focal Stellias one day. But for now - I am more than happy. I loved the sound of Elegia, but VCs have spoiled them for me. :)
Congratulations on your purchase. What dac amp did you use with elegia? Will you upgrade as well?

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #12,388 of 12,497
Woo WA3 with Western Electric 396A / 2C51 tubes is another otherworldly driver of Verite Closed !!
IMG_7594.jpeg

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #12,389 of 12,497
With harder woods they tend to seem faster since they have faster decay, the mid-bass can be a bit tighter too. I had a stabilized before the Koa, which I slightly preferred so plan to also get a Blackwood one eventually. In both the Open and Closed the hard woods come across as a more exciting experience. Weight can vary a lot even within the same type of wood. My stabilized with stainless rods were 571g, and Koa with brass rods (heaviest option) are 518, both with Magnesium chassis. Black rods are the lightest. I think the lambskin Auteur has been the stock pad all along, with Universe being the secondary recommended pad.
My Desert Ironwood is 630 :darthsmile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #12,390 of 12,497
More AMAZING music for my fellow ZMF "Veriteans"...

JIM- "Love Makes Magic" - The Remixes​

Grab a cocktail and a comfortable seat and sink DEEEP into this one.
It's is PURE MAGIC on VCs (and AO's as well) If you dig this release, go back and check out his previous releases...they are ALL fantastic! The sound of JIM's music is best described as a Laurel Canyon singer-songwriter acoustics, 60’s psychedelic folk-rock, a dash of Balearic, discoid funk and a healthy dose of yacht-rock. Listening to his latest efforts on the VC's, with the 3-D holographics is next level business!! Ease back Veriteans and enjoy this one at the end of the day/into the evening and everything will all make sense...

I listened to this last night on my VCs and then my AO. I have been around a minute and I had not heard of this group until reading this thread. It is an awesome album and a great recommendation. I added them to my Tidal faves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back