ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #12,406 of 12,524
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #12,407 of 12,524
In post #12,376 I said that with the right headphone amplifier, Verite Closed sounds divine and hardly like a closed-back. Here is one of those headphone amplifiers: IMG_7671.jpeg Donald North Audio Sonett2 - tubes are NOS Mullard GZ34 (seven ridge plates), pair EH 6H30p. The left toggle switch settings are IEC and low. Output impedance at IEC is 120 ohms: perfect for 300-ohm dynamic-driver ZMFs 🤪☺️ !!

I like how you think!

VC headphones sound magical with DNA Starlett, Yggy GS, and Bluesound Node. And the smurf blue and tubes get a reaction from everyone who looks at the system. Then they hear it and stunned into silence.

Attachments

• ZMF Starlett Yggy.png
    ZMF Starlett Yggy.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #12,408 of 12,524
Jonathan, I’m still not used to seeing your stack with the Taurus where the Mojo used to be!
I know 🤷🏻‍♂️ ..... but it is to the better 🙂

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #12,409 of 12,524
I am in bit of a "crisis" in the moment í got a IFI Zen Can from a friend because i was searching for a small compact amp that fita IEM´s an my Low Impedance Aune AR 5000 better than my Valhalla OTL and i liked it VERY much with my AR 5000 Smooth Galore... Yesterday i thought "Lets Look how my VC Sounds just for the fun of it" and woah ... as a litte pre information i had a Burson Soloist and a Beyer A20 a While back an didnt liked the VC on both on the Burson there was no Bass ... and on the A 20 it was wierd (to my ears) sooo anyway i connected the VC to the 4.4 mm Output Switched on the XBass feature and was like wow pretty much almost pefect Sound Wise Details ,Bass ,Dynamic ... only thing that bothered me was my wisch for a bit more smotthness ... and then i remeered that i did buy the Autuer Suede a while back so i put them on and Bääääm erverthing went in place Warmth, Detail ,Punch,Punch, Rumble with perfect comfort from the pads without Fatigue and all without the inconvieneance of a tube amp ..... i am just in Heaven ... How Can this be ... its a 180 $ Amp that to my ears sounds better than a 1000 $ Amp (Burson) i think i will buy one for myself and sell my OTL.
Sry for the Storytime just wanted to share because i am confused and need to cope ...

PXL_20240404_100655860.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #12,410 of 12,524
Non of your other amps have the x-bass feature of the ifi. This is a huge bass boost you get with the x-bass. Compare the ifi without x-bass to the other amps and report back. :wink:
Valhalla 2 is an OTL, but pretty linear tuned, not very "tuby". The other amps I have no expirience with.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #12,411 of 12,524
I am in bit of a "crisis" in the moment í got a IFI Zen Can from a friend because i was searching for a small compact amp that fita IEM´s an my Low Impedance Aune AR 5000 better than my Valhalla OTL and i liked it VERY much with my AR 5000 Smooth Galore... Yesterday i thought "Lets Look how my VC Sounds just for the fun of it" and woah ... as a litte pre information i had a Burson Soloist and a Beyer A20 a While back an didnt liked the VC on both on the Burson there was no Bass ... and on the A 20 it was wierd (to my ears) sooo anyway i connected the VC to the 4.4 mm Output Switched on the XBass feature and was like wow pretty much almost pefect Sound Wise Details ,Bass ,Dynamic ... only thing that bothered me was my wisch for a bit more smotthness ... and then i remeered that i did buy the Autuer Suede a while back so i put them on and Bääääm erverthing went in place Warmth, Detail ,Punch,Punch, Rumble with perfect comfort from the pads without Fatigue and all without the inconvieneance of a tube amp ..... i am just in Heaven ... How Can this be ... its a 180 $ Amp that to my ears sounds better than a 1000 $ Amp (Burson) i think i will buy one for myself and sell my OTL.
Sry for the Storytime just wanted to share because i am confused and need to cope ...

If it sounds good to you that's all that matters. I say go with it, and enjoy the music.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #12,412 of 12,524
Non of your other amps have the x-bass feature of the ifi. This is a huge bass boost you get with the x-bass. Compare the ifi without x-bass to the other amps and report back. :wink:
Valhalla 2 is an OTL, but pretty linear tuned, not very "tuby". The other amps I have no expirience with.
Yeah without the Xbass IT IS still smooth and Sounds good but there is Not enough Low End on the vc but when switched on it is the perfect amount for me. Dont get me Wrong i dont say the 180 € amp has the Same Technical chops as a 1000 € amp but IT seems Like IT hast enough for me because i am missing nothing and enjoy my VC more than ever... Even when i have to Cheat with the Xbass 😂 x Space IS crap by the way...

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #12,413 of 12,524
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #12,414 of 12,524

I have a Zen Can and I also find it to be very, very good at driving headphones. When I had the Abyss Diana V2's I found the pairing to be excellent. The Zen Can is a very underrated compact amp with great features.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #12,415 of 12,524
I finally got a VC again and will be revisiting/redoing my pad write up.

The Auteur Hybrid's are still really good. We'll see if they remain my favorite...
Looking forward to this!

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #12,416 of 12,524
I just wanted to comment that I find the bass in the VC to be exceptionally good. It is transparent and has fine detail and is fast and is never bloated or has overhang. It's just right and I never feel anything useful is missing or is artificially pumped up.

It's perfectly integrated into to the rest of the spectrum.
I'm just using the stock pads (from when I got it a few years ago).

[Mainly used with a Chord DAVE/MScaler + SPL Phonitor XE amp.]

(edited for spelling/grammar only)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #12,417 of 12,524
Just one more thing, I recently got the co-pilot headband pad for my VC and it worked out well; the bit of extra cushioning feels really good to me and also improves the fit height-wise for my head.
The pad fits like a glove on the VC. (It just wraps on so there is no complicated installation needed.)
Again, my VC was one of the earlier models so I don't know how the headband has changed over the years.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #12,418 of 12,524
Anyone know what hybrid pad this is. Looking to get this pad, but can't quite figure out what pad it is. I remember when I was pad rolling, I settled on this pad as my preferred sound with the VC.

20240120_182216.jpg
Old Pic of my sold VC
20240120_182243.jpg

I appreciate the help.

EDIT: I was thinking these were the Eikon Hybrid. Looks like they are the Hybrid Universal pads.
Didn't want to order the wrong pads for my return to the VC. This was my preferred pad before I sold my VC.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #12,419 of 12,524
Anyone know what hybrid pad this is. Looking to get this pad, but can't quite figure out what pad it is. I remember when I was pad rolling, I settled on this pad as my preferred sound with the VC.

20240120_182216.jpg

20240120_182243.jpg

I appreciate the help.
Looks to me based on thickness to be the Be2 hybrid, but if it’s full thickness, it’ll be the universe hybrid.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #12,420 of 12,524
Looks to me based on thickness to be the Be2 hybrid, but if it’s full thickness, it’ll be the universe hybrid.
Yea, it's either one of those pads. You'd have to measure or compare with another known Uni/BE 2 pad to confirm what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back