ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #12,362 of 12,524
Wait un
I love both. The VO is a bit more laid back compared to the VC.

I have weird ears, but I actually found that when it came to the similarities in frequency response between the open and closed in the lineup, it was actually swapped:
  • Verite Open ~ Atrium Closed
    • Mids take a step back, more airiness in the treble, sub-bass focused.
  • Atrium Open ~ Verite Closed
    • Overall, a bit more linear. Mids are the star of the show. Mid-bass focused.
This is overly generalized, and just how my ears hear it. When it comes to timbre, texture, and transients, that’s where the similarities are strongest between the VO to VC and AO to AC.

I’m not at all saying that the above are identical in their tuning… because they’re not.

Coming from the VC, it’s obvious that the VO shares its DNA. But, you should expect it to be a tad more laid back in its tuning. However, Zach did some voodoo which allows the VO to be smooth, laidback, yet exciting and engaging all at the same time. I get this same vibe with the AC.

The VO is one of the GOATs, IMO. 🐐
Wait until you hear the Caldera Closed. I listened to them and the AC, but the Calderas are simply amazing!

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #12,364 of 12,524
More AMAZING music for my fellow ZMF "Veriteans"...

JIM- "Love Makes Magic" - The Remixes​

Grab a cocktail and a comfortable seat and sink DEEEP into this one.
It's is PURE MAGIC on VCs (and AO's as well) If you dig this release, go back and check out his previous releases...they are ALL fantastic! The sound of JIM's music is best described as a Laurel Canyon singer-songwriter acoustics, 60’s psychedelic folk-rock, a dash of Balearic, discoid funk and a healthy dose of yacht-rock. Listening to his latest efforts on the VC's, with the 3-D holographics is next level business!! Ease back Veriteans and enjoy this one at the end of the day/into the evening and everything will all make sense...

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #12,365 of 12,524
More AMAZING music for my fellow ZMF "Veriteans"...

JIM- "Love Makes Magic" - The Remixes​

Grab a cocktail and a comfortable seat and sink DEEEP into this one.
It's is PURE MAGIC on VCs (and AO's as well) If you dig this release, go back and check out his previous releases...they are ALL fantastic! The sound of JIM's music is best described as a Laurel Canyon singer-songwriter acoustics, 60’s psychedelic folk-rock, a dash of Balearic, discoid funk and a healthy dose of yacht-rock. Listening to his latest efforts on the VC's, with the 3-D holographics is next level business!! Ease back Veriteans and enjoy this one at the end of the day/into the evening and everything will all make sense...

A very impressive recording! Thanks!🙏 👍

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #12,366 of 12,524
I recently picked up a very pretty pair of VCs in stabilized green so St. Patrick’s Day seems like a good time to show them off.

IMG_9389.jpeg

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #12,368 of 12,524
VC with Icon Audio HP8 is the ticket for
IMG_7557.jpeg
deeeep bass, sculpted midrange, ethereal treble, impact & tactile soundstage! Ken-Rad VT-231 pair and Telefunken ECC801S certainly help 🙂.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #12,369 of 12,524
Especially with the harder woods on the verite, there's still plenty of punch with Be2 pads.
Went back to try the Be2 solids again tonight. I think I’m actually picking up on more punch with the Be2 than the Auteur or Universe. I’ll have to double-check that, but is this a function of HRTF?

For whatever reason, Be2 pads seem to be the ones with the most variance in how people report their sonic profile. I might be misremembering, but I recall several stating that Be2 are brighter than Auteur or Uni. However, my ears find them to be more linear and less bright compared to those.

if that is the case, I’d be curious if it’s a HRTF thing.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #12,370 of 12,524
I am listening to some well recorded Electronica this morning with my VC's hooked up to my HA300MK2, and it's such a wild ride.

I love this headphone!

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #12,371 of 12,524
This song is just flat out gorgeous, and the entire album is fantastic with the VC's. I hear angels singing. . . :grin:

1000004909.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #12,372 of 12,524
VC with Icon Audio HP8 is the ticket for deeeep bass, sculpted midrange, ethereal treble, impact & tactile soundstage! Ken-Rad VT-231 pair and Telefunken ECC801S certainly help 🙂.
Such a great way to describe the sound of a well driven VC.

I am rocking with the impedance switch on high with my HA300MK2, and I am in awe.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #12,373 of 12,524
Such a great way to describe the sound of a well driven VC.

I am rocking with the impedance switch on high with my HA300MK2, and I am in awe.
Does the VC pair better with output-transformer amps than with OTL amps in your experience?

I’m still not sure if I love it paired with my Folkvangr. The Folkvangr + Auteur is magical, the best I’ve ever heard the Auteur. The Folkvangr + VC seems to be way too thick in the lower mids and lacking the deep bass and slam I’m craving.

I’ll try it out with my Midgard tonight or tomorrow and see if a more neutral amp is the ticket. I also have some suede pads coming in that may help.

The first time I heard the VC was with suede pads (though I don’t know if they were Auteur, Universe, Eikon, or something or else) on the Sparkos Gemini and that’s what made me want to buy a pair - they were just so slammy, dynamic, detailed, and fun. I’m chasing getting that sound from my pair.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #12,374 of 12,524
Does the VC pair better with output-transformer amps than with OTL amps in your experience?

I’m still not sure if I love it paired with my Folkvangr. The Folkvangr + Auteur is magical, the best I’ve ever heard the Auteur. The Folkvangr + VC seems to be way too thick in the lower mids and lacking the deep bass and slam I’m craving.

I’ll try it out with my Midgard tonight or tomorrow and see if a more neutral amp is the ticket. I also have some suede pads coming in that may help.

The first time I heard the VC was with suede pads (though I don’t know if they were Auteur, Universe, Eikon, or something or else) on the Sparkos Gemini and that’s what made me want to buy a pair - they were just so slammy, dynamic, detailed, and fun. I’m chasing getting that sound from my pair.
Pairs wonderfully with my WA22, which is not an OTL, but does have a HI/LO impedance toggle, and gives me MUCH more flexibility for owning additional headphones in the future that are not high impedance.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #12,375 of 12,524

I have heard great sound from both, and I think it just comes down to preferences, amp synergy and the type/brand of tubes used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back