ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 21, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #11,071 of 12,527
Just bought wa2 as I've been wanting to try an otl. Question for you all, I eventually do plan to upgrade the stock tubes (once I sell my current ZDT Jr.), but, how important is it do so? Keep in mind, I'm coming from ZDT Jr. I mean: "even with stock it's an improvement, upgrading tubes will just get you closer to heaven" is one thing but "with stock tubes WA2 is complete garbage, may even be a downgrade from current setup" is quite another.

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #11,072 of 12,527
Well, the WA2 is known for not being garbage with stock tubes. I've it with upgraded tubes tho :) It's a nice bang for the bucks OTL, mine is the older pre amp version. It does add nice tube magic to my Verite Closed Monkeypod, plus HD800 and others.

Said that, I find the VC to be one of those polarizing headphones, sound signature wise, it's not a jack of all trades, so to speak. That can be addressed with PEQ tho.

Enjoy!

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #11,073 of 12,527
Realised I hadn't shared any photos of my gorgeous VC (Named Fika) from the most recent Summer drop. Haven't had much time lately so all spare time has naturally gone purely to listening.

Going from all Audeze (LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-3), these were quite something different and required some brain tuning (or driver burning?). Think I might be around 100 hours in. They are definitely enjoyable and in many ways a step up from the before mentioned, though that planar sub bass is still something to die for. I even think the LCD-3 might reveal more details up top (might just be their frequency response?), though the VC seems to blend everything better. Both in term of soundstage and frequencies. An example: the LCD-3 seems the widest of them all, left to right, but leaves more gaps in the soundstage compared to VC (still much wider than something like hd6xx), which fills out all of these gaps while still allowing for pin pointing/isolating each sound. The same goes for my perception of their frequency response.

I've still much to explore with these and am especially looking forward to trying them with a tube amp (only have THX-789 as of now). WA7 looks so good, but as I live in Europe Feliks Audio seems like a much better choice at a far lower price. Maybe Echo 2 or Elise 2?

Hope you'll enjoy the images. They look quite different in different lighting

Attachments

• Fika1.png
    Fika1.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Fika2.png
    Fika2.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Fika3.png
    Fika3.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #11,074 of 12,527
Realised I hadn't shared any photos of my gorgeous VC (Named Fika) from the most recent Summer drop. Haven't had much time lately so all spare time has naturally gone purely to listening.

Going from all Audeze (LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-3), these were quite something different and required some brain tuning (or driver burning?). Think I might be around 100 hours in. They are definitely enjoyable and in many ways a step up from the before mentioned, though that planar sub bass is still something to die for. I even think the LCD-3 might reveal more details up top (might just be their frequency response?), though the VC seems to blend everything better. Both in term of soundstage and frequencies. An example: the LCD-3 seems the widest of them all, left to right, but leaves more gaps in the soundstage compared to VC (still much wider than something like hd6xx), which fills out all of these gaps while still allowing for pin pointing/isolating each sound. The same goes for my perception of their frequency response.

I've still much to explore with these and am especially looking forward to trying them with a tube amp (only have THX-789 as of now). WA7 looks so good, but as I live in Europe Feliks Audio seems like a much better choice at a far lower price. Maybe Echo 2 or Elise 2?

Those are one of the most beautiful sets I've seen. So unique.

As far as amping goes you absolutely have to try them on OTL. Feliks amps really bring them to life.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11,075 of 12,527
@yarlermanden - I have to add my admiration, beautiful grain and finish on these VCs! One good thing about closed ZMFs, more area to see that gorgeous grain!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #11,076 of 12,527

Stunning set! Are they camphor burl or a stabilized burl?

Definitely get away from the 789. I didn't find it a good match with any ZMF. Having heard the Echo 2 for the first time recently, I was blown away by how good it is for the price. Being higher impedence the LCD-3 can actually be great with an OTL, or is with mine at least.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #11,077 of 12,527
I demoed ZMF VO at CanJam SoCal and immediately fell in love with it. After some research, I regret that I haven't demoed VC. Hopefully I will get one either during the black friday ZMF sales or a second hand from head fi.

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #11,078 of 12,527
I demoed ZMF VO at CanJam SoCal and immediately fell in love with it. After some research, I regret that I haven't demoed VC. Hopefully I will get one either during the black friday ZMF sales or a second hand from head fi.
Some serious deals on the classified, but ZMF November is always fun to see what @zach915m and the team has up their sleeve.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #11,079 of 12,527

Definitely get away from the 789. I didn't find it a good match with any ZMF. Having heard the Echo 2 for the first time recently, I was blown away by how good it is for the price. Being higher impedence the LCD-3 can actually be great with an OTL, or is with mine at least.
Yes Feliks Echo 2 is top with the VC! My favorite amp ! Very dynamic with tubes feel , good tight bass !

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #11,080 of 12,527
The most striking aspect of the VC, to me, is the airy sound and soundstage. It’s truly remarkable for a closed-back. It also convinced me that as lovely as the VO is, I can use my Auteur for times when I need more spacious sound (and won’t disturb anyone), but the VC will work brilliantly otherwise.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #11,081 of 12,527
Thanks all of you! I really think I lucked out on this set.
It seems I should get me some Feliks Audio and give OTL a chance then.

It was part of the stabilized drop but I'm not entirely sure what kind of wood it is. It definitely have a lot of burls among other beautiful traits

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #11,082 of 12,527
Thanks all of you! I really think I lucked out on this set.
It seems I should get me some Feliks Audio and give OTL a chance then.

It was part of the stabilized drop but I'm not entirely sure what kind of wood it is. It definitely have a lot of burls among other beautiful traits
I can wholeheartedly recommend an OTL amp for your VCs. And they are stunning, thanks for sharing.

(You may already know this, but “fika” is a Swedish word for a social break during the day to have coffee or tea with some baked goods- a lovely tradition!)

In the long run if your budget stretches to it, the Woo Audio WA2 is a phenomenal amp with the VCs- I just spent about 2 1/2 hours listening to mine together. It is a truly magical combination.

If you have the budget for an Elise, there is a pre-owned WA2 for sale in Europe in the classifieds here- it might be worth a look. You wouldn’t need to spend an arm and a leg for great tubes- the seller has some good ones and feel free to PM me for ideas too. Taking the shortest route to some excellent (yet not overly expensive) tubes takes the WA2 a couple of notches up!

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #11,083 of 12,527
The most striking aspect of the VC, to me, is the airy sound and soundstage. It’s truly remarkable for a closed-back. It also convinced me that as lovely as the VO is, I can use my Auteur for times when I need more spacious sound (and won’t disturb anyone), but the VC will work brilliantly otherwise.
Yeah, for a closed back it is really special to have this open sound ,then throw on that timbre and I can listen as loud as I want and never bother anybody, these isolate nicely.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #11,084 of 12,527

Users who are viewing this thread

Back