ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #11,041 of 12,512
1664837091447.png
Reply to Richardhoos about 1 to 2K tube amp!

LordGwyns Pentode which is a $1.5k diy amp that should compete with the big boys. I have his Airmid OTL! He is currently writing the build manual. Zach had the prototype at CanJam! It should work well with any ZMF! You will find it referred to on the Caldera thread and also on LOrdGwyns head fi thread! Monster Zero will be referencing it in his upcoming Caldera review! I am considering one if I decide to go Caldera!. It should have a very similar performance level to the Airmid! It is a triode strapped pentode with transformer coupled out. High and low impedance taps. Look into it. Should be available in a couple months. It willl no doubt eat a Bottlehead Mainline for lunch. Around same price! The other notable kit headphone amp at that price point. It is designed to compete against expensive boutique amps! The Airmid has become almost legendary, albeit unavailable!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #11,042 of 12,512
Any recommendations for a tube amp to pair with my VO and VC?

Thinking in the $1-2k range.

I’ve used Hugo2/GS-X mini and do love it but just thinking about delving into the “tube” world.

Any recs would be appreciated! Thanks 🙏
I'm loving the Feliks Echo 2 with the VC, good separation, dynamic with punch. For bigger soundstage i'm using the DarkVoice 336SE more lush but less dynamic. I think the Feliks Elise could be a good choice between 1-2k price range.

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #11,043 of 12,512
1664837091447.png Reply to Richardhoos about 1 to 2K tube amp!

LordGwyns Pentode which is a $1.5k diy amp that should compete with the big boys. I have his Airmid OTL! He is currently writing the build manual. Zach had the prototype at CanJam! It should work well with any ZMF! You will find it referred to on the Caldera thread and also on LOrdGwyns head fi thread! Monster Zero will be referencing it in his upcoming Caldera review! I am considering one if I decide to go Caldera!. It should have a very similar performance level to the Airmid! It is a triode strapped pentode with transformer coupled out. High and low impedance taps. Look into it. Should be available in a couple months. It willl no doubt eat a Bottlehead Mainline for lunch. Around same price! The other notable kit headphone amp at that price point. It is designed to compete against expensive boutique amps! The Airmid has become almost legendary, albeit unavailable!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

The $1.5K figure isn't exact it might be closer to $2K. I am working on the BOM document so will have a more accurate estimate by this weekend. Very busy with work lately so moving a little slow.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #11,044 of 12,512
I feel like it still has good bass and the treble is still splashy but not quite to the extent of the auteur lamb. It is a more refined auteur lamb. Details are better, still has 3dness but not quite as much.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #11,045 of 12,512
What is your previous headphone?
Great question, also because you can do some comparison/contrasting upon reflection.
I would say the consensus is Universe Solid and Universe Hybrid pads for sub-bass. I've only tried the Universe Hybrids of the two though.

As for amp, the Jot 2 is warmer, narrower, and not the clearest sounding, but it is dynamic and punchy which should be good for your case. The Jot2 is certainly warmer and more bassy than neutral so you should be hearing more bass.

Cable matters. Your amp is warmer, but regardless, I'd go for a brighter, airier, more spacious cable. This might not have to do with boosting the sub-bass, but you might actually hear how great everything else sounds.
To the point above about your prior headphone- how did the Jot 2 sound to you with your previous set of headphones?

The pads and cable points are spot on too… I know the cable aspect can be controversial, but my experience has been that you can have significantly different “tuning” of the sound, or rather enhancement of some strengths of the headphone in question.

Some smaller cable makers (like Norne Audio, and perhaps Wywires) can help meet your needs through dialog, or a “fast” sounding cable like one of the Nordost models (so I’ve read, to be clear- I’m a Norne/Wireworld/Audiophile Ninja guy) could be options.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #11,046 of 12,512

I’ve used Hugo2/GS-X mini and do love it but just thinking about delving into the “tube” world.

The Woo Audio WA2 or WA22 could both be good options. There are great strings on both within the forum that I would recommend diving into.

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #11,047 of 12,512

As Audioduck suggested the wa22 or wa2 would be a great choice. I own the wa22 and love it.

Oct 4, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #11,048 of 12,512
As Audioduck suggested the wa22 or wa2 would be a great choice. I own the wa22 and love it.
Thanks @9bphillips !

I’ve read that the WA22 is less “gooey and tube-like”, though I’m sure that varies based on what you roll in… (The WA2 can be pretty iron-fisted in a velvet glove with some tubes)

Would you agree with that overall statement in general?

Obviously people’s taste varies- for me the WA2’s tendency towards a smooth, stereotypical tube-oriented sound signature ticks all the right boxes, while others would prefer a more tight/precise “solid state-like” sound…

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #11,049 of 12,512
Grateful to now be part of the VC club! I was waiting to buy a ZMF during a limited run, and I'm glad I grabbed Lexicon. They're the coolest looking headphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I'm glad I went for the upgraded copper cable, too. They look amazing together. Feels like more than a special headphone - it's an experience! From unboxing to listening. Thank you, @zach915m and @BooUrns. You guys (and your team) are great. Appreciate the note, too - my wife was indeed Jourdan! :)

Sound hasn't burned in yet, but I'm really enjoying listening. Already a great compliment to my other headphones in the sound as well as looks.

IMG_8584.jpg
IMG_8588.jpg

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #11,051 of 12,512
Grateful to now be part of the VC club! I was waiting to buy a ZMF during a limited run, and I'm glad I grabbed Lexicon. They're the coolest looking headphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I'm glad I went for the upgraded copper cable, too. They look amazing together. Feels like more than a special headphone - it's an experience! From unboxing to listening. Thank you, @zach915m and @BooUrns. You guys (and your team) are great. Appreciate the note, too - my wife was indeed Jourdan! :)

Sound hasn't burned in yet, but I'm really enjoying listening. Already a great compliment to my other headphones in the sound as well as looks.

IMG_8584.jpgIMG_8588.jpg

Beautiful looking family photos indeed!

Oct 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #11,052 of 12,512

IMG_8584.jpgIMG_8588.jpg

Very nice :)

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #11,053 of 12,512

IMG_8584.jpgIMG_8588.jpg
Wow, those are beautiful! Welcome to the club, and I bet they sound incredible off that Woo Amp.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #11,054 of 12,512

IMG_8584.jpgIMG_8588.jpg
Those look FANTASTIC! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back