ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #10,801 of 12,488
Gorgeous Blackwood VC! I just love the look of polished Blackwood!!!
Enjoy them!

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #10,802 of 12,488
Am going to try an IFI Micro IDSD Signature which is arriving tomorrow. I will be using it with my Verite Closed as a portable rig.

I currently have an AW Forza Noir Hybrid cable with a 6.35 SE jack as well as the stock ZMF cable with 3.5mm jack.

I understand that the Sig is not fully balanced but will there be any advantage to buying a balanced cable in terms of reduced crosstalk from its S Balanced output?
In my experience no but I still used the balanced cable as I found it more convenient than the larger 6.35mm jack when traveling.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #10,803 of 12,488
So I just received a fantastic 2nd hand VC. Howerever I feel like something is missing.
I paired it with my old setup for my HD650 wich is a Schiit Valhalla 2 and bifrost multibit. What would be the right path to upgrade my system to match the VC's potential?

I've like 1500.- euros to spend on it. Any good recommendations which are available in Europe?

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #10,807 of 12,488
maybe some warmth and impact. Also my amp makes a constant sound on the right ear wich drives me crazy. I need to replace the tube i think :triportsad:
I don't have any personal experience with the Valhalla, but it's not reputed to be the warmest amp, though the Bifrost is a fairly warm leaning DAC. I'd guess a warmer amp, whether tube or solid state would help. The Bottlehead series is supposed to be a fantastic pairing, but there are a lot of choices in the 1.5K range.

Good luck!!

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #10,808 of 12,488
Both the amp and dac should be enough. What pads are you using? Perhaps a bit of eq?
Dont get me wrong I like the VC's much more than my old HD650!
At the moment using the solid universe lambskin. I really like solid be2 lambskin with my favorite punk bands. But overall (other genres) the universe sounds better I think.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #10,810 of 12,488
Need a dislike button.

Side note: I do see quite a few vc's for sale. What is up with that?

Coincidence more than anything I'm sure!

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #10,811 of 12,488
Need a dislike button.

Well there are gear cycler who just go thru the headphones and always want the latest and greatest ones. VC is now close to 3 years since it’s inception so will be seen in used market more frequently now since Atrium is out.
Same goes with all good headphones like Susvara, HD800s. They are always in used market.
Also I feel ZMF headphones are slightly chain dependent. They sound magical out of nice R2R DAC And amp with high OI but can sound mediocre out of wrong pairing

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #10,812 of 12,488
Need a dislike button.

My main hypothesis: These headphones don't exaggerate the high end or the low end, so they may not fully satisfy the "boom and sizzle" crowd of headphone audiophiles. And, because of this lack of "gimmickry" they might sound "ordinary" to some listeners. I think this may be one of the factors that contribute to the frequency of second-hand units.
Another hypothesis: Although the price of these headphones reflects, in my opinion, profound value, they are nevertheless quite expensive (particularly for headphones) in absolute terms. So many of us may have a rather difficult time having this much capital tied up in a luxury item. In short, we may need the cash--now. Hence the sale.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #10,813 of 12,488
I seen a spike in used ZMFs just before the summer sale and I suspect the same is happening here as well as many are trying to sell or “flip“ their ZMFs before the November sale when all the new stabilized, resin, and custom sets come out. I personally am in the ”if it ain’t broke…” group and told my family I’ll probably be buried with mine more than once. :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #10,814 of 12,488
Well I’m enjoying musical Saturday night and I feel for the price below chain perform wonderfully well and is difficult to beat

Mercury Streamer with Sbooster LPS -> Sonnet Morpheus/ Metrum Onyx -> Bottlehead Mainline with Vcap ODAM 10uf caps -> Ironwood VC with Forza cable

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #10,815 of 12,488
Need a dislike button.

Happens after every big sale like the recent Hot Cup Summer and to a lesser extent after new limited versions as people sell off existing ones for new. I've done that myself a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back