ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #10,786 of 12,513
I currently own a pair of Campfire Audio Cascades, which whilst I still enjoy, I am starting to think about upgrading, with the ZMF Closed’s very high on my list of replacement options.

However, I do a large proportion of my headphone listening in conjunction with a DAP (a Hiby R6 Pro to be precise), rather than via my main hi-fi setup.

Would it still be beneficial getting the ZMF Closed’s in this scenario, or would predominant use with the Hiby (or any other DAP for that matter) be underutilising their capability?

Edit: The Hiby R6 Pro has both 3.5mm and 4.4mm Balanced Output options, so were I to end up getting the ZMF Closed’s, which cable termination option would be the best one to select when purchasing them?
Suggest 4.4 balanced

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #10,788 of 12,513
Thanks!

I see from your equipment spec that you have these headphones.

I appreciate you have a different DAP model to me, but do you find you get the most of the ZMF Closed’s when using them with the iBasso?
I find that even when used with other sources such as the M15 dongle on my Galaxy Fold 3 smartphone and the laptop PC's USB-C to Toping D90 DAC and Woo WA7 amp it performs very very well for my tastes in music.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #10,789 of 12,513
I find that even when used with other sources such as the M15 dongle on my Galaxy Fold 3 smartphone and the laptop PC's USB-C to Toping D90 DAC and Woo WA7 amp it performs very very well for my tastes in music.
That’s great to know!

These seem to be just about the best reviewed closed backs out there (perhaps even more so than the Focal Stellia’s?).

I realise opinions vary, but if anyone can recommend any of the earpad options above others, I’d be keen to hear why!

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #10,791 of 12,513
In addition to any comments on which is the best secondary set of ZMF Closed earpads to choose when ordering - it’d be great if anyone can also share their thoughts on which Headband/Strap/Earpad material option they’d recommend.

Thanks!

I'd recommend sticking with Universe lambskin and Auteur lambskin. I personally prefer the Auteur pads for the more expansive soundstage, especially when combined with the decay of a softer wood. It's an incredible accomplishment for a closed back headphone. I do rotate the Universe pads in sometimes for a more direct, energetic, harder-hitting type of sound that emphasizes the midrange a little more.

I always prefer lambskin over suede or hybrid pads. In my experience they have a sharper, more defined sound where suede is more diffuse and smoothes things out.

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #10,792 of 12,513
I'd recommend sticking with Universe lambskin and Auteur lambskin. I personally prefer the Auteur pads for the more expansive soundstage, especially when combined with the decay of a softer wood. It's an incredible accomplishment for a closed back headphone. I do rotate the Universe pads in sometimes for a more direct, energetic, harder-hitting type of sound that emphasizes the midrange a little more.

I always prefer lambskin over suede or hybrid pads. In my experience they have a sharper, more defined sound where suede is more diffuse and smoothes things out.
Thanks for the tips!

For headbands/straps, the site lists:

Leather with Leather Pads
Vegan Suede with Leather Pads
Leather with Suede Pads
Vegan Suede with Suede Pads

Any one of these four options generally considered better than the others?

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #10,793 of 12,513
Thanks for the tips!

For headbands/straps, the site lists:

Leather with Leather Pads
Vegan Suede with Leather Pads
Leather with Suede Pads
Vegan Suede with Suede Pads

Any one of these four options generally considered better than the others?
It sort of depends on your head size and own preferences. The suede strap is a bit thicker than the leather strap.

For my ZMF's I've always ordered leather/leather, and purchased a separate padded suede strap (I find the suede strap more comfortable, and prefer the look of the leather headband over suede). For my Aeolus and Atrium's I have both perforated suede and leather pads. For the Verite Closed I have both non-perforated leather and suede. Most would recommend getting a pair of suede and leather pads.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #10,794 of 12,513
It sort of depends on your head size and own preferences. The suede strap is a bit thicker than the leather strap.

For my ZMF's I've always ordered leather/leather, and purchased a separate padded suede strap (I find the suede strap more comfortable, and prefer the look of the leather headband over suede). For my Aeolus and Atrium's I have both perforated suede and leather pads. For the Verite Closed I have both non-perforated leather and suede. Most would recommend getting a pair of suede and leather pads.
Thanks for this.

I was leaning towards the Leather/Leather option anyway.

Still undecided on my secondary pads selection though, so more research needed for now.

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #10,795 of 12,513
For the VC's, a good option would be the Universe suede pads, assuming your other choice are the stock leather Auteur pads.

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #10,796 of 12,513
For the VC's, a good option would be the Universe suede pads, assuming your other choice are the stock leather Auteur pads.
Yes, it’ll be the stock Auteur Solid Pads, plus one other!

Why the Universe Suede Pads in your opinion?

Btw, if anyone knows of a guide to the differences each pad offers that’s been previously posted, just let me know! 👍

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #10,797 of 12,513
Here's what ZMF has to say regarding the sound signatures of the pads for the VC:

1660587652191.png

There is also a lot more information regarding pads on ZMF's website, you just need to spend some time reading it: https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #10,799 of 12,513
Am going to try an IFI Micro IDSD Signature which is arriving tomorrow. I will be using it with my Verite Closed as a portable rig.

I currently have an AW Forza Noir Hybrid cable with a 6.35 SE jack as well as the stock ZMF cable with 3.5mm jack.

I understand that the Sig is not fully balanced but will there be any advantage to buying a balanced cable in terms of reduced crosstalk from its S Balanced output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back