ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #10,771 of 12,524
Seem to have narrowed it down, purely from web research, to these three:
Woo Audio WA8, WA11 or Ifi Diablo.

Whilst I may be able to find someone willing to demo a Diablo, being in the UK rules out listening to either of the Woo Audio prior to purchase.
Also, importing the WA units is an unknown from the point of view of import taxes and charges.
So, for easy availability, Diablo wins.
Diablo may also play better with more headphones than, say WA8?
On the other hand, folks have recommended the WA8 as having great synergy with the Verite Closed and, I understand that Zach actually used this unit to demo the VCs.
Also, in reality, it would be only the VCs that would require a portable set up for me. So these are likely to be the only HPs used with the chosen portable amp/DAC as I am happy with my Elites/C3XR for home use.

Has anyone heard the VC with either WA11 or Diablo for comments on the pairing?
If not, could you Zach comment on potential partnerships, or lack of, from specs?

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #10,772 of 12,524
Can anyone give me their comparison between the Autuer Lambskin and Universe Lambskin pads? They seem to be very similar. I've used the Autuer for a while and just swapped to the Universe and I really like them too. Just curious on everyone's thoughts about these 2 pads.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #10,773 of 12,524
Happy to report on a killer amp pairing with the VC's. The amp is the Cayin HA300mk2, and with those 300B's it takes my VC's to levels I did not know were possible. Talk about holographic staging/imaging, impact for days with a very explosive and weighty sound, and the deepest and widest stage I have heard so far. The detail and nuances are coming through as if I was there, and the size of the images are huge, of which really adds to the lifelike experience. I feel like I have finally arrived, and it's been some seriously late nights and early mornings of pure listening bliss since getting this amp, and I just can't get enough.

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.
Very very nice! I am waiting on their cheaper upcoming alternative, the HA-3A. Hoping for some good listening notes once Zach gets them in. The 300mk2 is a dream though.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #10,774 of 12,524
Happy to report on a killer amp pairing with the VC's. The amp is the Cayin HA300mk2, and with those 300B's it takes my VC's to levels I did not know were possible. Talk about holographic staging/imaging, impact for days with a very explosive and weighty sound, and the deepest and widest stage I have heard so far. The detail and nuances are coming through as if I was there, and the size of the images are huge, of which really adds to the lifelike experience. I feel like I have finally arrived, and it's been some seriously late nights and early mornings of pure listening bliss since getting this amp, and I just can't get enough.

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.
That is a fantastic amp! I got to hear it in Chicago along with the HA-6A. I ended up getting the exact HA-6A that was in Chicago I loved it so much! I'm using KT88 Tesla Vrsovice along with Tesla ECC802S in the 12AU7 slots. GE rectifiers (22DE4) don't cost much and make a bit of difference. I'm shocked at the clarity and quality of sound I'm getting. Of course Purple fuses (Thanks to Wes's suggestion) and a Viking Weave Isa bring a ton of transparency to the table as well (Justin's cable is an insane level of beauty and performance). The Cayin has continued to be more and more impressive with the tube changes though which has shown me just how great of an amp it is.

I've recently switched to the Dangerous Music Convert-2 for a DAC and I've ben BLOWN AWAY with it. I need to get some pictures on here at some point. The 300B in silver there looks so cool! Have you tried setting it to high impedance?

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #10,775 of 12,524
Can anyone give me their comparison between the Autuer Lambskin and Universe Lambskin pads? They seem to be very similar. I've used the Autuer for a while and just swapped to the Universe and I really like them too. Just curious on everyone's thoughts about these 2 pads.
For me the Universe gives more clarity, but the Auteur will give a bit more "oomph" to the sound. I always go for transparency though so I use the Universe Suede. Everyone has different ears though - go with what sounds best to you!

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #10,776 of 12,524
For me the Universe gives more clarity, but the Auteur will give a bit more "oomph" to the sound. I always go for transparency though so I use the Universe Suede. Everyone has different ears though - go with what sounds best to you!
After listening for a while I came to the exact same conclusion. The Universe has a thinner sound than the auteur. Not saying the auteur is thin sounding, just more so than the auteur. I've been using the auteur for months but I bought the universe a while back and used them once until the other day. I have been pad rolling on my Atrium and decided to do the same on the VC but at first it was hard to tell the auteur and universe apart but after listening some more it was pretty obvious. It's the same result on the Atrium just not quite as much.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #10,777 of 12,524
I am having a problem with the left pad being to far forward towards my face compared to the right. The gap from the lip that connects the pad is bigger on the left back of the cup and bigger on the front of the right cup. The 1st pic is the back of the left cup and the 2nd is the back of the right. It's definitely different and it causes the pads to sit uneven. I can tell that the right cup is the way it should be. I noticed that the screws can be taken out. I wonder if you can rotate it and screw it back down. I'm not touching it until I know more though. It's not anything thay effects the sound I don't think but I do find myself adjusting them to get the right fit way to much. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20220811_191343.jpg
    20220811_191343.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220811_191400.jpg
    20220811_191400.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #10,778 of 12,524

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.
Continuing the 300B theme, the VCs also sound expansive in staging and manifest great dynamics, etc. on the Eddie Current Studio B w/Elrog ER300B tubes.

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #10,779 of 12,524
I am having a problem with the left pad being to far forward towards my face compared to the right. The gap from the lip that connects the pad is bigger on the left back of the cup and bigger on the front of the right cup. The 1st pic is the back of the left cup and the 2nd is the back of the right. It's definitely different and it causes the pads to sit uneven. I can tell that the right cup is the way it should be. I noticed that the screws can be taken out. I wonder if you can rotate it and screw it back down. I'm not touching it until I know more though. It's not anything thay effects the sound I don't think but I do find myself adjusting them to get the right fit way to much. Any help would be appreciated
Yea, I'm pretty sure the inner mounting lip should be equal (or very close) to the cup's size. Best to contact @zach915m and his team before doing anything.

Aug 12, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #10,780 of 12,524
Yea, I'm pretty sure the inner mounting lip should be equal (or very close) to the cup's size. Best to contact @zach915m and his team before doing anything.
I think we have an email and our support team is on it! {meaning me and Kevin}

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #10,781 of 12,524
That is a fantastic amp! I got to hear it in Chicago along with the HA-6A. I ended up getting the exact HA-6A that was in Chicago I loved it so much! I'm using KT88 Tesla Vrsovice along with Tesla ECC802S in the 12AU7 slots. GE rectifiers (22DE4) don't cost much and make a bit of difference. I'm shocked at the clarity and quality of sound I'm getting. Of course Purple fuses (Thanks to Wes's suggestion) and a Viking Weave Isa bring a ton of transparency to the table as well (Justin's cable is an insane level of beauty and performance). The Cayin has continued to be more and more impressive with the tube changes though which has shown me just how great of an amp it is.

I've recently switched to the Dangerous Music Convert-2 for a DAC and I've ben BLOWN AWAY with it. I need to get some pictures on here at some point. The 300B in silver there looks so cool! Have you tried setting it to high impedance?
It sure is man! :grin: I have never heard music sound so huge and lifelike, it's insane. Good call on the rectifier rolling, and I actually have 5 different brands on deck (the GE included) and plan to start rolling those this weekend. I have been switching back and forth between the 3 impedance settings, and I am still getting a feel for how each one effects the sound, so not sure which one I prefer yet. I will say it does sound a bit different on each setting, and then it also changes it presentation when you go single ended out vs. balanced, and it's really like owning multiple amps in one.

Congrats on the new DAC and amp! I have heard great things about both of them.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #10,782 of 12,524
for me (so far)
Auteur: Very open, wide, open-back like presentation, sub par comfort with glasses.
Universe: Slightly more closed-in, more focus, better comfort.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #10,783 of 12,524
for me (so far)
Auteur: Very open, wide, open-back like presentation, sub par comfort with glasses.
Universe: Slightly more closed-in, more focus, better comfort.
I agree with everything except I think the auteur is more comfy. Different heads and ears though! Lol.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #10,784 of 12,524
It's a great weekend for music listening!

Came across a nice deal on the ZDT Jr., so diving back into tubes after briefly owning a Feliks Echo. I love how small this amp is, perfectly fitting my desk setup (don't mind the cable management, I just moved!), and not a lot of heat generated either. Also, this is the revised version of the amp with no hum.

As for the sound? The stage is wider, bass is more enveloping, and the cup reverb is more satisfying. Subtle, but very nice.

I was listening to the Meze Elite all weekend, thanks to a loaner program happening here on Head-Fi, but quite suddenly the VCs are back again to rule.

Attachments

• PXL_20220813_222705965.jpg
    PXL_20220813_222705965.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220813_222712005.jpg
    PXL_20220813_222712005.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #10,785 of 12,524
I currently own a pair of Campfire Audio Cascades, which whilst I still enjoy, I am starting to think about upgrading, with the ZMF Closed’s very high on my list of replacement options.

However, I do a large proportion of my headphone listening in conjunction with a DAP (a Hiby R6 Pro to be precise), rather than via my main hi-fi setup.

Would it still be beneficial getting the ZMF Closed’s in this scenario, or would predominant use with the Hiby (or any other DAP for that matter) be underutilising their capability?

Edit: The Hiby R6 Pro has both 3.5mm and 4.4mm Balanced Output options, so were I to end up getting the ZMF Closed’s, which cable termination option would be the best one to select when purchasing them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back