ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 28, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #10,832 of 12,524
If anyone has or knows where i can find a bloodwood or purple heart Salire, i would be greatly appreciated. my Blackwood VC needs a ZMF complimentary stand :)
We are going to be making a bunch of slaire's for ZMF November, we also will have some b-stock for sale over Labor Day coming up.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #10,833 of 12,524
I have to say pad rolling is quite a fun and unpredictable experience! I have had the Autuer Hybrid pads since I got my VC and I have barely used them until now. When listening with them in the past I didn't enjoy them. I put them on 2 days ago and they sound completely different than I remembered! I'm wondering if such a drastic change in enjoyment could be attributed to burn in of tubes or VC or maybe since I have been listening to the Atrium for a while and just came back to the VC. All I know is before they weren't very enjoyable to me. They seemed like the lacked impact and 3d staging compared to the Autuer Lambskin but not now. The mids aren't as recessed as the Autuer Lambskin which is something i really like. It's like the Autuer Hybrid has the characteristics of the Autuer Lambskin and Universe Lambskin combined. I learned a while back to never give up completely on a pad. I think the Autuer Hybrid might stay on my VC for a good while. Pad rolling is one of the many great things about ZMF cans. It brings a different aspect to listening compared to other headphones. Just one more reason why I really dig ZMF.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #10,834 of 12,524
@9bphillips The Auteur hybrid pads are also my favorite pads. The auteur lamb pads are a really well beginner pads. At least it was for me when i first got it. But after a few weeks of burn-in, I started to appreciated the sonic differences of the hybrid pads and now its the only pad i ll ever use for my VC.

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #10,835 of 12,524
@9bphillips The Auteur hybrid pads are also my favorite pads. The auteur lamb pads are a really well beginner pads. At least it was for me when i first got it. But after a few weeks of burn-in, I started to appreciated the sonic differences of the hybrid pads and now its the only pad i ll ever use for my VC.
Mine as well. At least according to my pad review back from Nov '19. I've got to update that soon with all the pad options...

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #10,836 of 12,524
Mine as well. At least according to my pad review back from Nov '19. I've got to update that soon with all the pad options...
Yupp I think I tried the hybrids after reading your review. You were/are correct good sir. I might also add that I also enjoy universe suede pads as an alternative to the auteur hybrids

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #10,839 of 12,524
I still like the Autuer Lambskin for its 3d imaging. That is a quality other pads can't produce to the extent the Autuer lamb does, or at least the pads I have tried. I like how the Autuer Hybrid sounds more energetic and snappy. It's a more firm and substantial sound with good details and it seems like the mids aren't as recessed and vocals are more forward or present. I do understand what you mean when you say the Autuer Lambskin is more of a beginner pad. It is a warmer sounding pad that has more of a rounded type of sound which is easy to listen to. I just find the hybrid to be more engaging and snappy. I had a few times today where I was startled with snare drum strikes! Lol. It is an outstanding pad and it really baffles me how I tried it in my early days with the VC and didn't get this sound. Like I said before it could be because I have had the Atrium on my head for a while, or tube or headphone changes from extensive burn in. Who knows and who cares because I sure do enjoy the Autuer Hybrid!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #10,840 of 12,524
i have a pair of Auteur Lamb solid on the way and now you all are making me curious on the Hybrid solids...
I plan on trying a few more pads myself because I have found that I may not like a pad initially but further down the road my preference may change. I didn't like the Autuer Hybrid at all when I first got the VC several months back. Fast forward months later and I fell in love with them within minutes of having them on my head!

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #10,841 of 12,524
i have a pair of Auteur Lamb solid on the way and now you all are making me curious on the Hybrid solids...
The Lambskin solid are my favs, and I say are worth a try. We all have our preferences and different gear so there is not one correct pad for all. There does seem to be team this or that from time to time, but honestly you could build a system around any of the pad options and be happy. A good tube amp in the mix and tube rolling makes that a bit more possible as well, and I have my system dialed in to perfection with the Auteur Lambskin Solid, so I know it can be done. For instance, I often hear people mention a dip in the upper mids with the Auteur Lambskin, and with the right tubes there actually is no dip at all and the tuning is flat out magical. It's as if ZMF headphones were made for tube amps. . .

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #10,842 of 12,524
I love the depth of the bass and the holographic nature of the lambskin Auteurs. Also, to my ear it has the most clarity, though the treble peak at 5k can be a little much. On solid state I'd have to EQ that down, but now that I'm on tubes, I'm really enjoying the Auteur Hybrids more than I did on solid state (they were a bit too laid back before). Curious to see how I'd feel switching back to the lambs.

I wish I could combine the bass and clarity of the lambskin with the less recessed midrange and *especially* the comfort of the hybrid Auteurs. It'd be the perfect pad for me.

Also finding myself less on the Universe pads these days...the lambskin version to me have never really stood out, and the hybrids, while much better, I find to be a little too in-your-face with the mids and vocals.

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #10,844 of 12,524
Should I go with the VC's to pair with the Atrium or wait to the Atrium Closed? I am thinking to order it this night.
Considering the Atrium closed isnt out yet, and nobody outside of ZMF themselves have heard it yet, that's an impossible question to answer at this point.

However based upon the VO/VC similarities, I will guess the VC will offer a bigger departure from the Atrium than the Atrium closed will.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #10,845 of 12,524
Should I go with the VC's to pair with the Atrium or wait to the Atrium Closed? I am thinking to order it this night.
I own the VC and the Atrium and they compliment each other very well. They both do things completely different and are both awesome headphones! I like that myself. I bought the VC and held off on the VO because I didn't want 2 headphones that had similarities. For me I like to have different options. That's just me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back