ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #10,756 of 12,488
Yes, I think taking the cables on and off would wear out the headphone female jacks prematurely, wouldn't it? And on the regular ROOMs stand (not Pro) the ZMFs stand nicely with the earpads not touching and allow about 5 centimeters of space for the cable to come down vertically before it turns gently. I don't see a risk of stress on the cable. And I like the non-Pro version because it all fits nicely in my cabinet to protect everything from dust (and to look good :) - although these pictures don't do it justice). Hope this helps on what ROOMs is about.

By the way, notice that the old ZMF headband sits perfectly on the stand. The new headband doesn't do that because of its design, but I still think it gets all the resting support it needs without creating marks.

I have noticed the same on mine, though they sit less comically then yours :smile: I guess it depends on how you bend your headband. I have used the wooden Room's Audio line stands for a while, and have a single black Pro. They used to fit my headphones well previously, but the LCD-5 just doesn't go on right and the VC (with new headband) has a gap also, so I switched to the Woo Audio dual stands, which are just fantastic, though quite expensive these days (especially shipping to EU).

The only quibble I have with the Room's is that my hair product seems to settle on the top of the holder and I can't really get it off without damaging the lacquer. Quite annoying and the main reason I moved away from wood stands to the Woo Audio, and why I decided not to go for the ZMF Salire.

If you have the old headband style, I can certainly recommend the Room's audio line, they are very nice. It seems they increased their prices as well so at this point I would personally go for a ZMF Salire if looking for a wood stand, or the Woo Audio if you want a premium metal stand. No bad products here though.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #10,757 of 12,488
I'll be joining the family with this beauty:

I'm expecting it in the next few days :)
Really nice looking pair! I think the VC's really strut their stuff with the lighter woods, and Monkeypod is as light as it gets so you are in for a treat. The decay and staging are both to die for!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #10,758 of 12,488
Really nice looking pair! I think the VC's really strut their stuff with the lighter woods, and Monkeypod is as light as it gets so you are in for a treat. The decay and staging are both to die for!
I got them in about an hour ago. Yeah these are special. Took me some time to find the right fit though.
Too early to say much except for that I prefer the weight over the Cherry wood Eikon's I have :) Think the difference is about 200 to 300 grams.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #10,759 of 12,488
I got them in about an hour ago. Yeah these are special. Took me some time to find the right fit though.
Too early to say much except for that I prefer the weight over the Cherry wood Eikon's I have :) Think the difference is about 200 to 300 grams.
Nice! That's great you worked on getting a proper fit too, as it can make quite a big difference. I recently adjusted my headband and rotated the pads a bit more, and the staging and overall sound did improve, and I feel it is definitely worth the time and effort.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #10,760 of 12,488
This is one of my first "ok... did not expect this" moments with the VC

(youtube does not do it justice).

I know this song and how the drum effects jump from left to right and the other way around. The distance (phun intended) though between the absolute left and right on these was not what I expected from a closed back! (auteur pads)

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #10,762 of 12,488
Listening on-the-go is not something I am interested in so pocket portability is not a consideration. I want something that will fit on, say, a shelf in my camper so desktop DAC/amp is not viable.
I loved Mojo 2 with VC, it gave a much fuller and more defined sound than my delta sigma DAC with proper low end weight and timbre, great space/depth between instruments, and plenty of power on tap as well. Plus it has lossless EQ shelves and crossfeed. I'd generally raise the 3K-20K shelf up a few notches and be good, didn't try crossfeed with it too much really. If you leave it charged fully till it gets to intelligent desktop mode then it preserves its battery and functions as a desktop dac/amp combo essentially, but that might drain battery in a camper van.(?) Might be better options out there but FWIW one reviewer said its DAC section is better than the Ifi Gryphon.

Crossfeed is something I never thought I'd use ever, but with VO here, it actually adds stage depth by taking the wall of sound left and right away from you, so the stage is perceptibly more evenly spread out in all directions.

Aug 7, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #10,763 of 12,488
I loved Mojo 2 with VC, it gave a much fuller and more defined sound than my delta sigma DAC with proper low end weight and timbre, great space/depth between instruments, and plenty of power on tap as well. Plus it has lossless EQ shelves and crossfeed. I'd generally raise the 3K-20K shelf up a few notches and be good, didn't try crossfeed with it too much really. If you leave it charged fully till it gets to intelligent desktop mode then it preserves its battery and functions as a desktop dac/amp combo essentially, but that might drain battery in a camper van.(?) Might be better options out there but FWIW one reviewer said its DAC section is better than the Ifi Gryphon.

Crossfeed is something I never thought I'd use ever, but with VO here, it actually adds stage depth by taking the wall of sound left and right away from you, so the stage is perceptibly more evenly spread out in all directions.
Thanks for that. I always thought Mojo would be more of a sideways step compared to my xDSD and that I would need to go much higher.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #10,764 of 12,488

This is one of my first "ok... did not expect this" moments with the VC

(youtube does not do it justice).

I know this song and how the drum effects jump from left to right and the other way around. The distance (phun intended) though between the absolute left and right on these was not what I expected from a closed back! (auteur pads)

2nd moment was actually briefly after

(again YouTube is for reference, find the lossless version plz; timestamp at 194s (= 3m, 14s))

Never heard the layering of the voice(s) as clearly as right now.

Isn't it WONDERFUL when something that's been raved about actually lives up to the hype(rbole) and you realize that it actually wasn't hyperbole, but just accurate descriptions???? I know it was for me with the Verite Closed. As far as I'm concerned, Zach Mehrbach is a genius, and a genius with principles, ethics, vision, pragmatism, and drive. His product line is the beautiful result of all those traits that he has.*

*It almost certainly also doesn't hurt to have the magnificent Bevin at his side (and probably sometimes in front of him, calling the shots [I say this as a man who's been happily--and gratefully--married for 34 years], just like [I'm guessing] he wants her to do [I could be wrong, but I doubt it]).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #10,765 of 12,488
Long live the OG Monkeypod VC.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #10,766 of 12,488
Happy to report on a killer amp pairing with the VC's. The amp is the Cayin HA300mk2, and with those 300B's it takes my VC's to levels I did not know were possible. Talk about holographic staging/imaging, impact for days with a very explosive and weighty sound, and the deepest and widest stage I have heard so far. The detail and nuances are coming through as if I was there, and the size of the images are huge, of which really adds to the lifelike experience. I feel like I have finally arrived, and it's been some seriously late nights and early mornings of pure listening bliss since getting this amp, and I just can't get enough.

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #10,767 of 12,488
Happy to report on a killer amp pairing with the VC's. The amp is the Cayin HA300mk2, and with those 300B's it takes my VC's to levels I did not know were possible. Talk about holographic staging/imaging, impact for days with a very explosive and weighty sound, with the deepest and widest stage I have heard so far. The detail and nuances are coming through as if I was there, and the size of the images are huge, of which really adds to the lifelike experience. I feel like I have finally arrived, and it's been some seriously late nights and early mornings of pure listening bliss since getting this amp, and I just can't get enough.

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.
Glad you found a cabinet that matches the colour of your VC :wink:

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #10,768 of 12,488
Happy to report on a killer amp pairing with the VC's. The amp is the Cayin HA300mk2, and with those 300B's it takes my VC's to levels I did not know were possible. Talk about holographic staging/imaging, impact for days with a very explosive and weighty sound, with the deepest and widest stage I have heard so far. The detail and nuances are coming through as if I was there, and the size of the images are huge, of which really adds to the lifelike experience. I feel like I have finally arrived, and it's been some seriously late nights and early mornings of pure listening bliss since getting this amp, and I just can't get enough.

20220807_115703.jpg

Happy Listening.
I'm gonna convince myself I don't need this cuz it's not otl... Cuz now I want it and omg the price so high

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #10,769 of 12,488
I'm gonna convince myself I don't need this cuz it's not otl... Cuz now I want it and omg the price so high
LOL! I know OTL's are magical with ZMF's, but I can also confirm that a quality SET is just as magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back