ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #9,541 of 12,553
Just FWIW, the VCs LOOOOOVE OTL tube amps. Jot2 with the multibit DAC module is nice, but you might want to consider an OTL with a separate DAC. The Pendant is a super nice amp - all Ampsandsound products are, I think - but it's transformer-coupled for maximum versatility. I use a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball quite a bit with my ZMFs - it was fun to build and it sounds fantastic. But if you don't want to DIY from a kit, any of the Feliks Audio amps would be a great match (Euforia is roughly the same price as a Pendant). There's more options of course, but my own experience is limited.

Tie it in with a standalone DAC - I love my Schiit Bifrost 2 - and you'll be in a really nice spot.
Looked at the Feliks my concern would be low power output at 300ohms

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #9,542 of 12,553
I assure you they will put out more than enough power. OTL amps and high-ohm headphones pair beautifully. Someone better versed in the physics of sound can explain it much better than I could.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #9,543 of 12,553
Any of the Feliks amps would have more than enough output for any of the (non-planar) ZMF's, and will probably sound pretty great.

I love my BH Crackatwoa with the VC. I'm probably only using a tiny fraction of its max output (which is probably around 350mW).

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #9,545 of 12,553
Hi Guys, it's been a bit. I hope everyone's had a great holiday season and belated Happy New Year to all. I will preface this by saying that I'm a proud owner of a ZMF Verite closed in Leopardwood. I own and love my pair of ZMF VC's. I recently felt the need to have a back up to my favourite headphone of all-time . I asked this community for a recommendation to complimemnt to my godlike ZMF's VC's headphone and of course this community didn't disappoint and responded with a Strong Island, @Monsterzero's recommendation. He gave a killer recommendation of a Sennheiser HD 250 600 OHM made in Germany which is a very rare treasure indeed. I'm happy to report that I tracked 1 down in mint condition Hd250 . Another question is a 10th of the cost of a leopardwood VC worth doing ? . The short answer is Yes. Although I have limited listening pleasure, according to various sources, I will say for certain agee that the initial impressions of the Hd 250's have a narrower soundstage, VC also has a slighter enriched mids , however the sheer killer is high considering the bang for the buck ratio

Attachments

• Hd250 1.jpg
    Hd250 1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hd250 12.jpg
    Hd250 12.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #9,546 of 12,553
Hi Guys, it's been a bit. I hope everyone's had a great holiday season and belated Happy New Year to all. I will preface this by saying that I'm a proud owner of a ZMF Verite closed in Leopardwood. I own and love my pair of ZMF VC's. I recently felt the need to have a back up to my favourite headphone of all-time . I asked this community for a recommendation to complimemnt to my godlike ZMF's VC's headphone and of course this community didn't disappoint and responded with a Strong Island, @Monsterzero's recommendation. He gave a killer recommendation of a Sennheiser HD 250 600 OHM made in Germany which is a very rare treasure indeed. I'm happy to report that I tracked 1 down in mint condition Hd250 . Another question is a 10th of the cost of a leopardwood VC worth doing ? . The short answer is Yes. Although I have limited listening pleasure, according to various sources, I will say for certain agee that the initial impressions of the Hd 250's have a narrower soundstage, VC also has a slighter enriched mids , however the sheer killer is high considering the bang for the buck ratio
Def not as pretty as a ZMF, but the HD250 is a killer headphone....if you can find one. Glad you're digging it!

Here's the HD250 thread.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #9,547 of 12,553

I find my FA Echo Mk 2 provides sufficient power to my VC. I barely need to go past 9 o'clock to get to my desired listening level, and 9:30 for softer tracks. I've also tried my LCD-4s on it and I hover around 9:30 to 10 o'clock. So plenty of headroom there.

The sound is amazing too. I can't believe that the Echo is their entry level OTL, I literally have no desire to upgrade because of how perfectly it fits my preferences. The fact that Feliks Audio creates visually stunning amps is a huge plus too.

Would definitely recommend to not sleep on FA amps.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #9,548 of 12,553

Headphone's don't need all the power, that you hear many talk about.

That amp will power them fine, not sure if it is the sound you will be looking for, only you will know by trying.

Different amps will present different imaging and staging ect. That has more to do with the topology of the amp and less to do with power.

Planars for instance, like more current than voltage.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #9,549 of 12,553
I am waiting for my VC, the giant snow storm last week caused a shipping delay, they are in my home state, so not too much longer :cry: tomorrow maybe? I am designing a new amp to pair with them, that will take another month or so, can't wait to have a listen!

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #9,550 of 12,553
I am waiting for my VC, the giant snow storm last week caused a shipping delay, they are in my home state, so not too much longer :cry: tomorrow maybe? I am designing a new amp to pair with them, that will take another month or so, can't wait to have a listen!
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #9,551 of 12,553
Okay so I've installed both of my crescent straps onto my VC and Auteur and I really love how it feels on the Auteur! However, I feel like I've lost a bit of clamp with the VC (probably due to me using universe pads which have less padding on the back than the Auteur pads), is it safe to bend the crescent band to increase clamp?

I noticed Zach mentioned that the only adjustment I'd really have to do would be the slight bending on either side to correct any inconsistencies in the left/right side of the band.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #9,552 of 12,553
Okay so I've installed both of my crescent straps onto my VC and Auteur and I really love how it feels on the Auteur! However, I feel like I've lost a bit of clamp with the VC (probably due to me using universe pads which have less padding on the back than the Auteur pads), is it safe to bend the crescent band to increase clamp?

I noticed Zach mentioned that the only adjustment I'd really have to do would be the slight bending on either side to correct any inconsistencies in the left/right side of the band.
In retrospect, I think I may have overthought this, I just bent it tighter anyway and it's more comfy :sweat_smile:

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #9,553 of 12,553
The Eagle has landed!

After 10 minutes of listening my initial thought is no, this is not my Persona/Krell combo, not even close. They sounded ok but nowhere what I am used to, in my ears very tinny. HOWEVER, I had to run a couple hour errand so decided to just leave them on with Tupacs "California Love" at a semi-aggressive volume and guess what, everything sounds so much better with 5 hours of break in. If there is this much improvement or more coming over the next 100 hours or so of break in I am going to be very happy. Soundstage, imaging, "outside the head", detail and overall SQ went way up in just five hours, amazing.

On a bad note, sadly my Bryston BDP-2 does not offer USB out for digital so I am going to have to wait to see what these things can do after a DAC upgrade and 100 plus hours of break in. For my next move I am leaning towards a Schiit Gungnir for DA conversion, after that I am going to add a ZMF Pendant then see how things are from there.

20220208_124155.jpg

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #9,554 of 12,553
The Eagle has landed!

After 10 minutes of listening my initial thought is no, this is not my Persona/Krell combo, not even close. They sounded ok but nowhere what I am used to, in my ears very tinny. HOWEVER, I had to run a couple hour errand so decided to just leave them on with Tupacs "California Love" at a semi-aggressive volume and guess what, everything sounds so much better with 5 hours of break in. If there is this much improvement or more coming over the next 100 hours or so of break in I am going to be very happy. Soundstage, imaging, "outside the head", detail and overall SQ went way up in just five hours, amazing.

On a bad note, sadly my Bryston BDP-2 does not offer USB out for digital so I am going to have to wait to see what these things can do after a DAC upgrade and 100 plus hours of break in. For my next move I am leaning towards a Schiit Gungnir for DA conversion, after that I am going to add a ZMF Pendant then see how things are from there.

20220208_124155.jpg
Yeah, the break-in on ZMF's beryllium drivers is quite real. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back