Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Apr 22, 2017 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 543

Malfunkt

1000+ Head-Fier
The Sennheiser HD250 Impression Thread

Sennheiser HD250 Linear 600ohm (background) with modern day HD700

Well, I’ve only had the Sennheiser HD250 for a short while, but long-enough to realize what an incredible classic I have come across. Even more surprising, there is little fanfare here at head-fi.org and no dedicated appreciation thread.

I'd like to first thank @MrTechAgent who has helped shine some light on these old classics, in particular the HD540. With his videos, I would never have sought this out. I highly recommend checking out his HD540 Reference (1985) video, but also the rest of his channel.

And when I say classic, I’m putting these up there alongside the LCD2 and HD650. I may go as far to say it surpasses them in the aspect of natural, linear tonality. These are smooth, warm, detailed headphones that sound very expansive despite being a closed-headphone. Contrasted against an LCD2 or HD650, they have very extended, clear and natural treble. It is so involving. Beyond this, the rest of the sound is also on point, and the bass is superb, with it almost bordering on too much (and for those that want less there is the open back HD540).

So rather than just a review, I feel these cans truly justify their own Appreciation Thread, as they are not only rare, but under-appreciated given their capabilities to this present day.

I’m going to keep my impressions short for now, as well as the background on these headphones, as I actually only have a limited time with them, and secondly, it is difficult finding information on these. I’m hoping others will contribute some of their own experiences and information.

Remembering a Sennheiser Classic

At some point, the HD250 vanished into history. What remains is rather scant online. Keep in mind, this wasn’t just an ‘80s headphone, it was being produced until the early 2000s. There are two versions, the HD250 Linear and the HD250 Linear II. From my understanding it was brought back in the nineties due to popular demand, and given a new coat of paint. From what I have read, they are pretty much identical, but a number of user will describe one as being bass light, or one better than the other, etc. Further confounding this is that there exists 300ohm and 600ohm versions! Some users have reported that depending on the quality of the pads it can (no surprise) alter the sound signature. One user pointed out that they got their HD250 to sound very close to their HD540 with partially vented pads. Above all, a number of users agree that the HD250 (and perhaps to a larger extent the HD540) are preferred over the HD580,600,650. Or at the very least putting them at or near the same level.

Mine were form Radio-Canada studio headphones. In great condition with new pads and cable.

Can this Really Be Compared to the HD650?

I know controversial right. I love the HD650, and I won’t get into to this too deeply at the moment. I feel that the HD650 is perhaps a bit too relaxed. For instance, on dynamic classical recordings, the high-end was a bit uninvolved. It is an incredible headphone in its own right, and if you are an enthusiast of the HD650/600/580 then you may be surprised that these classic Sennheisers really pull it off. But maybe you shouldn’t be. It’s not as if this company came out of nowhere and dropped the HD580 on us.

What I find is that brass, strings, bell tones, glissando, really anything that hits those top notes is clear as day. This is some of the most accurate and best treble I’ve heard in can, let alone a closed can. The rest of the spectrum is all very present. This isn’t the more mid-centric sound we’ve heard from many flagship cans. Some people may say the mid-range is recessed, but it sounds perfectly balanced with the high-end, and the low range of the HD250 is also very natural, with percussion sounding life-like.

Even soundstage, is quite open, and imaging on this can is superb. You can easily place the depth of the different performers.

Let’s just put it this way, if you could have an HD650 with more sub-bass extension/volume, and more lifted accurate highs, would that interest you? Many people have been pointing those traits as some of the HD650s minor weaknesses. But here we have a Sennheiser can that pretty much nails reference tonality, in a closed back!

True Genre Masters

Since I’ve been here on head-fi, a term that used to be spun around a bit more was the idea of a Genre Master. In this case, it means a headphone that can play all Genres. The HD250 just doesn’t sound just great or good with all genres, it sounds outstanding with any genre providing its production is high-quality and dynamic. They are equally at home play classical music, reggae/dub, detroit techno, classic rock, pop to black metal.

If It’s So Good, Why Haven’t I Heard These?

Sennheiser has kept some of its headphones alive for a long-time. The HD600 and HD650 for good reason. The HD25 (not to be confused with the HD250) would have been relegated to being a broadcaster and ENG headphone if it hadn’t become a mainstay in the underground electronic scene across Europe and then the US.

Not too long ago, there were huge threads on Graham Slee’s old forum on both this headphone and the HD540 - its open back variant. Those are gone, but have been partially cached by Google. Graham Slee had at one point (and it could still be the case to this day) claimed the HD250 as his favourite headphone. From my understanding it was one of the formative headphones used in developing his amps. Great, so it has some industry acknowledgement. But aside from some other audio forums this headphone and the 540 are largely forgotten. But its time that they were re-discovered.

I’ll be posting in the coming weeks more detailed impressions, and how they compare to some other headphones such as the Denon D2000, Sennheiser’s own HD700, Sony MDR-7520 and Audeze LCD2 (early revision). Not to spoil anything, but they just sound right.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 543
Based upon your thoughts in this thread i picked up a 300 ohm Linear 1 today.
I havent had much time yet to listen to it but initial impressions of it are...

balanced sound
well extended on both ends
good slam,but not over-whelming.

Using a vintage Sansui 5000a as amp and Chord Mojo as DAC.

Will do some more listening tonite and add anything that comes to mind,but so far,so good.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 543
Right on monsterzero, those impressions seem to match my experience. I'm actually testing a Chord Hugo 2 at the moment, which easily powers the 600ohm HD250.

Interesting that there are 600ohm and 300ohm versions. 300ohm probably is more convenient.

I should post more impressions of these headphones against other I have. They do have quite good slam, not as much as say my D2000, but they are actually 'fuller' sounding in total. The D2000 is more v-shaped. The HD250 is more organic sounding and natural.

Listening to classical, jazz, soul, and some downtempo the HD250 are comfortable and emotionally engaging - they are faithful.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 543
I have these. But I had difficulty getting a consistent pad seal. Any head or face movement and the sound would wobble.

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 543
I have these. But I had difficulty getting a consistent pad seal. Any head or face movement and the sound would wobble.

I could see this. They don't much of a clamp, and depending on the type of pads could drastically change the sound or ability to seal. Maybe order an aftermarket set of cheaper pads?

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 543
A few random thoughts...

Quite comfortable and light..

Unlike some other Sennheiser HPs I have heard these bring good texture to the mids.Metal sounds good through these,not as aggressive as I prefer,like my sextetts or AD2000s,but they certainly do not fall on their face either.

Good slam for psybient and trance...all-arounders?

Very nice width for closed backs...

Imaging is good too,not as precise as AKG K240 sextetts,but very good.

Non fatiguing highs,but quite good detail...Very easy to listen to,without being dull.

Damn...For 75.00 bucks shipped,these are a steal...Heck ive heard headphones that cost ten times that much that I dont like as much as these.

Vintage cans are quite hit and miss.For every mind blowing discovery like the sextetts,Ive had several really awful sounding HPs,like the Pioneer Monitor 10s(incredibly dull)AKG K340s,which are a painfully bright incoherent mess,and an old pair of Sansuis,forget the model,but truly atrocious.These fall into the former category.

These Sennheiser HD 250s are really a sleeper on this forum,next to zero info and nearly no reviews,which is a shame cuz these deserve more attention than theyre getting.

Thanks Malfunkt for starting this thread,these are keepers for sure!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 543
@monsterzero I'm glad they suit you. Btw, here are a few random psybient recommendations for you to enjoy with your new HD250s.

Dub Trees - Celtic Vedic In Dub
Ajja - Spira Mirabilis
Entheogenic - Dreamtime Physics

btw - $75! that is a score!

Also, these are really easy to fix and mod. You can easily change out the Sennheiser cables and pads. Though the mods would cost you more than the headphone. My pads aren't the most comfortable, but they work, so I've just lived with them.

I think the HD250 is really just before many peoples time on this forum. I mentioned in another thread that head-fi is really circa HD580 and after. Many probably don't realize that a lot of transducer technology has been around for a long-time, and that the driver technology on these old headphones aren't much different than some new HD-6xx :)

It makes me wonder about the HD540,. and I've passed up some good deals on those. I reasoned I have enough headphones as is. :/

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 543
@monsterzero I'm glad they suit you. Btw, here are a few random psybient recommendations for you to enjoy with your new HD250s.

Dub Trees - Celtic Vedic In Dub
Ajja - Spira Mirabilis
Entheogenic - Dreamtime Physics

Actually took Ajja and Cosmosis "Alien Jams" for a spin on them earlier,thanks for the tip will check em out!

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 543
I could see this. They don't much of a clamp, and depending on the type of pads could drastically change the sound or ability to seal. Maybe order an aftermarket set of cheaper pads?
Probably a good solution. The stock ones are quite stiff. Perhaps a softer leather or velour might work.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 543
I'm using the HD 560 velour pads on my hd 250 linear 1 600ohm , (i also use those pads on my hd 540), they are not cheap but they work really well , they are also super comfy (use the original plastic disc of the 250) . You can buy the pads , cables on the site of thomann.de, only took 4 days to arrive from germany to belgium for me.

i received my 250's with pleather pads that are really really bad and don't fit well (i think they are some pleather pads for the hd 250 mk2 model), the 560 velour pads are so much better !

The hd 250 and 540 are really really good, one day i will have to compare my collection (hd 250 mk1 600 ohm, hd 540 mk 1 300 and 600 ohm and hd 560 ovation 1 300ohm) to newer senns (600 , 650 , ...) to hear wich are best but i'm pretty sure i made good investments for buying them over the newer senns...

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 543
@Ophidian would be good to hear how your 540s are similar and different than the 250.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 543
The Sennheiser HD250 Impression Thread

Sennheiser HD250 Linear 600ohm (background) with modern day HD700

Well, I’ve only had the Sennheiser HD250 for a short while, but long-enough to realize what an incredible classic I have come across. Even more surprising, there is little fanfare here at head-fi.org and no dedicated appreciation thread.

I'd like to first thank @MrTechAgent who has helped shine some light on these old classics, in particular the HD540. With his videos, I would never have sought this out. I highly recommend checking out his HD540 Reference (1985) video, but also the rest of his channel.

And when I say classic, I’m putting these up there alongside the LCD2 and HD650. I may go as far to say it surpasses them in the aspect of natural, linear tonality. These are smooth, warm, detailed headphones that sound very expansive despite being a closed-headphone. Contrasted against an LCD2 or HD650, they have very extended, clear and natural treble. It is so involving. Beyond this, the rest of the sound is also on point, and the bass is superb, with it almost bordering on too much (and for those that want less there is the open back HD540).

So rather than just a review, I feel these cans truly justify their own Appreciation Thread, as they are not only rare, but under-appreciated given their capabilities to this present day.

I’m going to keep my impressions short for now, as well as the background on these headphones, as I actually only have a limited time with them, and secondly, it is difficult finding information on these. I’m hoping others will contribute some of their own experiences and information.

Remembering a Sennheiser Classic

At some point, the HD250 vanished into history. What remains is rather scant online. Keep in mind, this wasn’t just an ‘80s headphone, it was being produced until the early 2000s. There are two versions, the HD250 Linear and the HD250 Linear II. From my understanding it was brought back in the nineties due to popular demand, and given a new coat of paint. From what I have read, they are pretty much identical, but a number of user will describe one as being bass light, or one better than the other, etc. Further confounding this is that there exists 300ohm and 600ohm versions! Some users have reported that depending on the quality of the pads it can (no surprise) alter the sound signature. One user pointed out that they got their HD250 to sound very close to their HD540 with partially vented pads. Above all, a number of users agree that the HD250 (and perhaps to a larger extent the HD540) are preferred over the HD580,600,650. Or at the very least putting them at or near the same level.

Mine were form Radio-Canada studio headphones. In great condition with new pads and cable.

Can this Really Be Compared to the HD650?

I know controversial right. I love the HD650, and I won’t get into to this too deeply at the moment. I feel that the HD650 is perhaps a bit too relaxed. For instance, on dynamic classical recordings, the high-end was a bit uninvolved. It is an incredible headphone in its own right, and if you are an enthusiast of the HD650/600/580 then you may be surprised that these classic Sennheisers really pull it off. But maybe you shouldn’t be. It’s not as if this company came out of nowhere and dropped the HD580 on us.

What I find is that brass, strings, bell tones, glissando, really anything that hits those top notes is clear as day. This is some of the most accurate and best treble I’ve heard in can, let alone a closed can. The rest of the spectrum is all very present. This isn’t the more mid-centric sound we’ve heard from many flagship cans. Some people may say the mid-range is recessed, but it sounds perfectly balanced with the high-end, and the low range of the HD250 is also very natural, with percussion sounding life-like.

Even soundstage, is quite open, and imaging on this can is superb. You can easily place the depth of the different performers.

Let’s just put it this way, if you could have an HD650 with more sub-bass extension/volume, and more lifted accurate highs, would that interest you? Many people have been pointing those traits as some of the HD650s minor weaknesses. But here we have a Sennheiser can that pretty much nails reference tonality, in a closed back!

True Genre Masters

Since I’ve been here on head-fi, a term that used to be spun around a bit more was the idea of a Genre Master. In this case, it means a headphone that can play all Genres. The HD250 just doesn’t sound just great or good with all genres, it sounds outstanding with any genre providing its production is high-quality and dynamic. They are equally at home play classical music, reggae/dub, detroit techno, classic rock, pop to black metal.

If It’s So Good, Why Haven’t I Heard These?

Sennheiser has kept some of its headphones alive for a long-time. The HD600 and HD650 for good reason. The HD25 (not to be confused with the HD250) would have been relegated to being a broadcaster and ENG headphone if it hadn’t become a mainstay in the underground electronic scene across Europe and then the US.

Not too long ago, there were huge threads on Graham Slee’s old forum on both this headphone and the HD540 - its open back variant. Those are gone, but have been partially cached by Google. Graham Slee had at one point (and it could still be the case to this day) claimed the HD250 as his favourite headphone. From my understanding it was one of the formative headphones used in developing his amps. Great, so it has some industry acknowledgement. But aside from some other audio forums this headphone and the 540 are largely forgotten. But its time that they were re-discovered.

I’ll be posting in the coming weeks more detailed impressions, and how they compare to some other headphones such as the Denon D2000, Sennheiser’s own HD700, Sony MDR-7520 and Audeze LCD2 (early revision). Not to spoil anything, but they just sound right.

Fantastic: Passionate. Insightful.

The concern I have (everybody should) would be; " Are these serviceable/replaceable (driver/pads etc.)?" If not, it's wasted effort -and $$.

Ohh "HD-540" where are you hiding -here I come ! (lol)

pj

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 543
Fantastic: Passionate. Insightful

The concern I have (everybody should) would be; " Are these serviceable/replaceable (driver/pads etc.)?" If not, it's wasted effort -and $$.

Ohh "HD-540" where are you hiding -here I come ! (lol)

pj

Pads are easy to find and the cable is similar to many common Sennheiser models.

Driver will be more rare and even if Sennheiser carries them, would probably be cheaper to find another HD250.

But yes, good headphones that according to some is very similar to the 540 but with more bass but less soundstage

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 543
I'm using the HD 560 velour pads on my hd 250 linear 1 600ohm , (i also use those pads on my hd 540), they are not cheap but they work really well , they are also super comfy (use the original plastic disc of the 250) . You can buy the pads , cables on the site of thomann.de, only took 4 days to arrive from germany to belgium for me.

i received my 250's with pleather pads that are really really bad and don't fit well (i think they are some pleather pads for the hd 250 mk2 model), the 560 velour pads are so much better !

The hd 250 and 540 are really really good, one day i will have to compare my collection (hd 250 mk1 600 ohm, hd 540 mk 1 300 and 600 ohm and hd 560 ovation 1 300ohm) to newer senns (600 , 650 , ...) to hear wich are best but i'm pretty sure i made good investments for buying them over the newer senns...

Wonderfully insightful; The "560 Ovation" If I recall correctly, were highly touted. I owned a pair of, I think, HD-580's? (circa 1990's?) that were replaced by AKG 701's. The "701's" had this absolutely crappy head-band adjustment system that NEVER held its position -making it useless, and the recipient of some nasty words to boot.

A perfect segue to this friendly reminder; precision "locking" fit (like, umm Hifiman 400i's for example ) and comfort is the essential, critical component one should expect/demand from any headphone-particularly models in the elevated price category. For if absent, any other criteria in defining quality/performance would be moot.

pj
Pads are easy to find and the cable is similar to many common Sennheiser models.

Driver will be more rare and even if Sennheiser carries them, would probably be cheaper to find another HD250.

But yes, good headphones that according to some is very similar to the 540 but with more bass but less soundstage

Appreciate that. Good to know. Without replaceable/stocked parts, it simply makes no sense to me -unless it's truly exceptional. In which case replacement parts would be readily available. If one is certain of a used headphones age and usage, perhaps a sweet deal can be found.

But taking a chance on one's that sat on multiple heads, thrown on the sofa (or thrown around), abused by those (I can't even forgive this; 'cranking the "bass" control -assuming one has such a tone control) and other possible scenarios would count me out (mercifully) of the used headphone market.

pj

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 543
So, I've been looking for a set of high-impedance HP to pair with an OTL amp, I also have a need for a high-quality closed set. Been lurking around here and some other forums, the HD 250 linear seem like a great choice for me!

Just pulled the trigger on one of these NOS sets from Ebay (here is the link) and there are two left! Pads are disintegrating, so bought two pairs of after market ear pads:

Velour: link
Pleather: link

Anybody tried these with an OTL? Going to be using mine with my new Bottlehead Crack. Was looking at getting a pair of vintage HD580 to pair with the Crack instead, but this thread and curiosity won me over :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back