Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #31 of 543
@monsterzero how do you like your 540s? I’m interested in picking up a pair one day

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #32 of 543
Mar 11, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #33 of 543
Taking the HD250s out for a spin tonight....its been awhile.These headphones are criminally underrated.
Last night was Atticus night,tonight the HD250s,which provide such a great contrast to the ZMFs.

I love these headphones.

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #34 of 543
Taking the HD250s out for a spin tonight....its been awhile.These headphones are criminally underrated.
Last night was Atticus night,tonight the HD250s,which provide such a great contrast to the ZMFs.

I love these headphones.

I'm hugely ecstatic about these headphones as well. I've brought them to meets and always get some raised eyebrows. Even with their older design, any bias that perhaps some vintage headphone won’t compete with the latest dynamic driver tech quickly goes out the window as soon as people hear their presentation.

What I'm realizing more and more, is the importance of the overall frequency presentation of the headphone. The HD250, has my favourite overall presentation out of my headphones and even over some newer ones that I've heard. I have to stress 'overall' as there are times in which I'll prefer my other sets, but arguably the 250 just sounds the most natural in the mid-range, has enough top-end detail and air, and more than sufficient bass. The mid-range it just nails and that is so important.

Since I've got them, their pads have broken in a bit which have only made them more comfy and seal better. A fellow head-fier gave me a new shorter cable for them so that also helped make them more practical.

I love this hobby, but really the HD250 has really put the brakes on me searching for the 'ultimate' headphone. In a lot of ways, this lowly old HD250 is it for me. It is isn't perfect, few headphones are, but I’m fine with its trade-offs.

I’m also really enjoying my 630VB which has a cleaner more modern sound. The 250 still sounds more natural for all music. The 630VB is very close though, is far more portable, and can hit harder/less on the low-end when required. The 250 bass can get a bit too much depending on recording and volume but that is easily correctable.

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #35 of 543
A fellow head-fier gave me a new shorter cable for them so that also helped make them more practical.

Do these use the same cable as the HD6xx line,or? Wondering if buying a beefier cable will bring out even more goodness...?

I was listening to it last night and the presentation is quite effortless,and even though its not a great term to use,its so "sweet" sounding.Im currently using some Chatham 6AS7G tubes in my 339 and they give the the HD250 a quite neutral sound,not too unlike the HD540s.With the RCA power tubes the HD250s pick up a huge amount of bass response without sounding muddy.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #36 of 543
Do these use the same cable as the HD6xx line,or? Wondering if buying a beefier cable will bring out even more goodness...?

I was listening to it last night and the presentation is quite effortless,and even though its not a great term to use,its so "sweet" sounding.Im currently using some Chatham 6AS7G tubes in my 339 and they give the the HD250 a quite neutral sound, not too unlike the HD540s.With the RCA power tubes the HD250s pick up a huge amount of bass response without sounding muddy.

The cables I have, I've purchased similar before for an HD650 and later used on a HD25. These are eBay from China cables. I can't determine the quality. :wink: I want to say they sound better than the original cables I had but I wouldn't be able to say so reliably. They are definitely not a tangled mess, and don't terminate in a somewhat awkward 1/4in that the originals did. I'm personally not a believer in cable magic, so I can't see a thicker gauge improving on anything. One thing that helped, is that the connectors to the cups are more solid whereas before mine would wiggle and had a bit of a loose connection.

I'm fairly certain that the HD540, HD250, HD25 and HD580 all share the same connector. I may be incorrect and the older models might be minutely larger in diameter.

I've heard these through tube systems and they sound great.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #37 of 543
I'm hugely ecstatic about these headphones as well. I've brought them to meets and always get some raised eyebrows. Even with their older design, any bias that perhaps some vintage headphone won’t compete with the latest dynamic driver tech quickly goes out the window as soon as people hear their presentation.

What I'm realizing more and more, is the importance of the overall frequency presentation of the headphone. The HD250, has my favourite overall presentation out of my headphones and even over some newer ones that I've heard. I have to stress 'overall' as there are times in which I'll prefer my other sets, but arguably the 250 just sounds the most natural in the mid-range, has enough top-end detail and air, and more than sufficient bass. The mid-range it just nails and that is so important.

Since I've got them, their pads have broken in a bit which have only made them more comfy and seal better. A fellow head-fier gave me a new shorter cable for them so that also helped make them more practical.

I love this hobby, but really the HD250 has really put the brakes on me searching for the 'ultimate' headphone. In a lot of ways, this lowly old HD250 is it for me. It is isn't perfect, few headphones are, but I’m fine with its trade-offs.

I’m also really enjoying my 630VB which has a cleaner more modern sound. The 250 still sounds more natural for all music. The 630VB is very close though, is far more portable, and can hit harder/less on the low-end when required. The 250 bass can get a bit too much depending on recording and volume but that is easily correctable.

..." I'm hugely ecstatic about these headphones ..".

As you should be ! Those, and other Senn models circa late 90's, early 2K's (HD-580 'Precision' being one) were/are some wonderful product.
To see where it would stand today with one some of the finest can's today, compare to Hifiman 400i.

pj

pj

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #38 of 543
..." I'm hugely ecstatic about these headphones ..".

As you should be ! Those, and other Senn models circa late 90's, early 2K's (HD-580 'Precision' being one) were/are some wonderful product.
To see where it would stand today with one some of the finest can's today, compare to Hifiman 400i.

pj

pj

Cool! Do you have a pair - HD250 OR HD540?

I always get the 400 series mixed up. I've listened to both 400, 400i, and 400s. One of them, I can't remember which, I was quite impressed with. I do prefer the more extended bass signature of my LCD2 (early rev) and for that matter the HD250s. I also like the HE560 more, but for the money the 400 is still great. The HE400s are a good choice for a planar headphone to compete with the dynamic HD580/600 series depending on preference.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #39 of 543
Cool! Do you have a pair - HD250 OR HD540?

I always get the 400 series mixed up. I've listened to both 400, 400i, and 400s. One of them, I can't remember which, I was quite impressed with. I do prefer the more extended bass signature of my LCD2 (early rev) and for that matter the HD250s. I also like the HE560 more, but for the money the 400 is still great. The HE400s are a good choice for a planar headphone to compete with the dynamic HD580/600 series depending on preference.

My HFM 400i's replaced AKG K-501, and HD-540's. 400i's are superb can's -better than current Senn 800; HD-800S (Im guessing) would be comparable to 400i's.
Today's Sennheiser is a far cry from Sennheiser of the past (90's early 2000's). There must have been a change of ownership (certainly direction/quality) in recent years.

In the past, Sennheiser could be counted on for consistently nice headphones.
Not any more; you gotta be very selective with current Senn models -660S, 800S approaching/equalling? models such as your decades old HD-250's, or HD-580/580 Precision.

From headband to ear-cup, today's Senn's have been on a downward spiral somewhere along the 21st century. Do some nice models exist today? Yes.
Can Senn's be "beaten" by competitors ? Absolutely -and will save hundreds of dollars in the process.
(I'm speaking of the most open, transparent, enaging sound with superior LF resolution/articulation/detail. On order is the Emotiva A-100 (BasX) amplifier. I suspect the 400i's will open up even further. This main/headphone amplifier is rather unique in that you can supply the headphone jack with the full 50 watts (8-ohms) available fom its speaker output terminals; 12.5 W/C (32-OHMS) -12,500 mW with jumper on/off option.

pj

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #40 of 543
Today's Sennheiser is a far cry from Sennheiser of the past (90's early 2000's).
pj
Yes! this is something i've noticed too.
I think 20 to 30 years ago, they really did care about sound quality..and now it's more about making money.
I've owned a few Sennheiser headphones and to me, the older models sounded better and where of better quality.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #41 of 543
Hmm, well guess I enjoy both new and old Sennheiser.

I appreciate the spatial qualities of the HD800/700. My 630VB is a complete portable sound system - and has brought me a ton of joy.

In the past, I’ve enjoyed my HD25, HD650 and Amperior. Less so the HD280.

I enjoy a number of signatures - which is how I like to approach music depending on mood, environment and musical style. Right now relaxing and listening to ambient on my HD700 - it’s sublime.

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #42 of 543
Yeah,I dunno why theyre so different sounding,but theyre quite opposite really.The HD540 is quite neutral,dry-ish and transparent sounding.

I might be persuaded to sell my HD540s.PM me if youre interested.

Theyre quite neutral sounding,but too bass lite for me.

Mine are for sale

Well, I probably should have picked yours up when I had the chance earlier. Fortunately, I purchased a pair of mint condition HD540 Reference 1s and they are exactly as you describe. But this is perfect!

That dry-ish tonality comes from their reference tuning. Classical music sounds correct and wonderful on these headphones. The mid-range is very similar to the 250, but the 250 doesn't transition as continuously into its high-end and bass. The high-end of the 540 is more refined and not as spiked, but of course, the 540 rolls off on the lowest registers.This is fine for a wide-range of instrumental music and reference recordings - but the 540 does not hit anywhere near as hard as the 250 does in the low-end. The 250 is great then when privacy is required, but also for more modern genres including electronic. It still is great for all-types of music, and is more 'engaging' than the 540. The 540 may come off as strident without the finest recordings but has a more realistic tone (lack of bass aside). To memory, the 540 is even more linear than the HD600.

These are both classics, and glad to own both.

It you could combine the mid-to-highs of the 540 and bass of the 250 - you'd have an end-game set IMO. Such cans do exist, such as the Focal Utopia. LCD2 gets close, but without EQ, doesn't have the same air as the 540. With EQ the LCD2 (early rev) is exceptional.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #43 of 543
This is the perfect combo. Kind of end-game in a way with these two - and for not much investment.

T9tUZ4uh.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 543
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #45 of 543

Users who are viewing this thread

Back