ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #5,281 of 12,488
I absolutely love the TT2 with the M-scaler...
In the last couple of years I have been on a quest to build the most “live music” sounding headphone system I could. That has led me down many paths ultimately ending with Chord audio gear and the ZMF Vérité closed. Rob Watts post on how to listen to audio gear changed everything for me.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/#post-12457933

I believe Rob is leading the industry in reproducing realistic “live music” audio sound from a digital source. I have owned or tested 26 headphones in the last few years. I’ve had some great experiences but it wasn’t until the ZMF Vérité, Chord dacs and an OTL tube amp that I have come to understand that a headphone system can sound like a live musical event. My current system is nothing short of astounding in accomplishing that. About 40% to 50% of the time I can honestly say that it sounds like I am in a room with live musicians.

The TT2 has an exceptional headphone amp but it is solid-state with very low output Impedance. I don't like it with the VC. I find it to be overdamped with a reduced soundstage. As a matter of fact every headphone I have sounds better out of my Eddy Current but your Susvara will not be driven out of a tube amp. A lot of the people find that using an XLR adapter from the XLR outputs of the TT2 sound great driving headphones and at 18 watts will certainly drive your Susvara. I suspect what is happening, aside from the power increase, is that the XLR outputs have a higher output impedance then the headphone amp and that’s one of the reasons some people prefer the sound.

In my system the benefit of the tube amp is huge in the area of soundstage, realism, holographic imaging and separation. If I were to go with something other than the Eddy Current it would be the new ZMF Pendant SE, that combined with the outputs on the TT2 would give you everything you need for the future. As far as future proofing, everything I’ve read from Rob states pretty clearly that he has maxed out what he can do with the M-scaler and the Dave. His current focus seems to be more on digital amps and the recording side of the industry so there may not be much else coming down the line regarding DACs.

A lot of my equipment is now battery powered to eliminate RFI. A lot of people confuse RFI with high frequency extension and air around instruments both of which are inaccurate representations of musical instruments. In switching to battery power everything smoothed out, warmed up and became substantially more realistic.

My entire system started with the vérité closed and everything has been built around that headphone. As I have upgraded my system the ZMF Vérité have scaled magnificently.

As far as driving my Martin Logan ethos speakers, I have just re-purchased the Red Dragon S-500 amp. That amp is one of the few unicorns I’ve ever found in this hobby and it is the only piece of audio gear that I have ever sold, regretted selling and re-purchased. I run the RCA out of the TT2 to the Eddy Current and the Vérité and the Balanced out to the Red Dragon and the Martin Logan‘s.

I don’t want to get too far off topic so if you do end up purchasing the M-scaler and the TT2 or if you have any other questions please feel free to DM me as I have learned quite a bit and can help you get the most out of them.

Arlan
@Audioraider, thanks for the link, that is an interesting read by Mr. Watts.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #5,282 of 12,488
I think you will really enjoy them! The combination of the HMS, TT2 and tube amp is creating a sound like nothing I’ve ever heard before. It’s difficult to describe, like real instruments coming out of the black vacuum of space and from all directions. One of the most amazing things I have heard is Muddy Waters Folk singer. I am literally sitting in a room with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Clifton James and Willie Dixon. It is an extraordinary experience...
BTW, do you have the Pendant or something else? I've barely started scratching the surface when it comes to tube amps. I'd want something on the compact side. Along with the ZMF VC, I'm willing to spend to get the Pendant SE but nothing more expensive than that or bigger in size.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #5,283 of 12,488
BTW, do you have the Pendant or something else? I've barely started scratching the surface when it comes to tube amps. I'd want something on the compact side. Along with the ZMF VC, I'm willing to spend to get the Pendant SE but nothing more expensive than that or bigger in size.
I am using the Eddy Current ZDS OTL. He has retired and no longer makes them but I was able to spend some time with the Pendant OG and it was fantastic. I can only imagine the Pendant SE is even better. On top of that Zach at ZMF a pleasure to deal with, a true professional.

F7FB0A4F-2E03-4100-A080-F195FAB7C33F.jpeg

ED075CA6-14AD-47F4-A05F-90C7DA1F2D44.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #5,284 of 12,488
deleted post. Too late to be relevant

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #5,285 of 12,488

An alternative to consider: Donald North Audio (dnaudio.com).

I was about to purchase a Feliks Elise, and stumbled on the DNA Starlett. Several very positive write-ups in various forums. And just look at it... (inside is wired cleanly too!) Donald has been super responsive to questions too. I placed my order for the Starlett a couple of weeks ago to pair with my VC.

Only downside - eta is November. He's got a huge backlog. It'll be a nice holiday this year :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #5,286 of 12,488
I am using the Eddy Current ZDS OTL. He has retired and no longer makes them but I was able to spend some time with the Pendant OG and it was fantastic. I can only imagine the Pendant SE is even better. On top of that Zach at ZMF a pleasure to deal with, a true professional.

F7FB0A4F-2E03-4100-A080-F195FAB7C33F.jpeg
ED075CA6-14AD-47F4-A05F-90C7DA1F2D44.jpeg
Wow, that just looks ear-watering delicious! I just browsed through Eddie Current's site. It's obvious their amps are very high in demand. The VC looks beautiful too. A lot to look forward to. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #5,287 of 12,488

I was about to purchase a Feliks Elise, and stumbled on the DNA Starlett. Several very positive write-ups in various forums. And just look at it... (inside is wired cleanly too!) Donald has been super responsive to questions too. I placed my order for the Starlett a couple of weeks ago to pair with my VC.

Only downside - eta is November. He's got a huge backlog. It'll be a nice holiday this year :)
Hey, thanks for the info. I have definitely seen photos of DNA amps around and I see they have a very fervent dedicated following. I'll certainly be considering all of these amps very carefully over the remainder of the year. And when the bonus comes, I'll be ready!

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #5,288 of 12,488

As a happy Elise owner, curious what you preferred about the Starlett.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #5,289 of 12,488
As a happy Elise owner, curious what you preferred about the Starlett.

I was really attracted to the Elise and Euforia amps; and read a lot of good things about both. Given where I live, got concerned about how hot the tubes and amp would get. I know, tubes and all; but the 4 of them on the Feliks amps = lots of heat. From other comments and reviews, the sound / build quality, and support from Feliks seem excellent; and I almost bought anyway. But this hot (irrational) concern made me pause.

Looked at Decware, Eddie Current, Manley, Ampsandsound (zmf), etc. Then stumbled on to DNA. As Orlok said, quite a following of happy owners over many years. Their info and feedback just resonated with me. Of course with covid, no way to audition anything. I read that Donald's philosophy was to not drive the tubes hard; which meant longer lasting tubes and less heat. Then I saw the inside of the Starlett, and that was it; I was sold. Solid and careful construction. Just like your Elise.

Have to say, the smurf blue will be pretty bold in my mid-century modern aesthetic here.

Kind of shake my head as I proof what I just wrote - nothing about audio, measurements, how it works with Verite, etc. etc. Silly to base solely others perceptions, looks, coolness (!), etc. Though I did exactly the same with my Schitt, Maggies, and Verite with no regrets.

For what it's worth, good to see you're happy with the Elise. I bet it's just magical. Hope to feel the same in November with the Starlett.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #5,291 of 12,488
Kind of shake my head as I proof what I just wrote - nothing about audio, measurements, how it works with Verite, etc. etc. Silly to base solely others perceptions, looks, coolness (!), etc. Though I did exactly the same with my Schitt, Maggies, and Verite with no regrets.
Unfortunately/Fortunately, that is what most of us have to do too in this hobby as well as others. Asking for others opinions on systems/synergy, reading reviews, doing research and hopefully, through that, make the right purchase. I've done the same and will continue to do the same. Currently doing that with the SW51+. I think I purchased it in January and delivery is April/May. Hope it stays on that timeline. Only just got my VC's in so listening on SS only for now. This will be my first tube amp. Still on the fence on what to do dac wise.

Anyone have experience with any of the wires from ZMF DIY cable kit: Atmos C, Atmos S, Michanikós. Looking for soft pliable cable.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #5,293 of 12,488
@breckstar If your main amp is going to be SW51+ then look to a DAC that has some meat on the bone. I love SW51 but it's not a thick sounding amp so it's best paired with something that isn't TOO neutral (IMO/IME)

From what I read so far, the Bifrost 2 is the perfect DAC for the SW51+. (I'm also waiting for the delivery of the SW51+)

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5,294 of 12,488
@breckstar If your main amp is going to be SW51+ then look to a DAC that has some meat on the bone. I love SW51 but it's not a thick sounding amp so it's best paired with something that isn't TOO neutral (IMO/IME)
From what I read so far, the Bifrost 2 is the perfect DAC for the SW51+. (I'm also waiting for the delivery of the SW51+)
That's what I've read and been referred to as well. My hesitation on BF2 is that I have powered monitors and I would like my dac to have controllable output level, possibly remote control (SE to tube, XLR to monitors). The other option is just get two dacs or just use my audio interface to my monitors which doesn't have remote control.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #5,295 of 12,488
@YtseJamer Agreed, and that's what I use with that amp currently. Also great with Ygg A2, but wasn't great with Gumby A2 - too neutral. Probably also wouldn't be great with the Soekris DACs or the RME ADI-2 and other DACs of that nature. I only have personal experience with the Schiit DACs with this amp, the rest is just extrapolating/triangulating.
Love it with VC and Aeolus as well.

Actually specifically bought this amp to use in a bedroom system with Bifrost 2 and VC after auditioning ZDT JR and Jot 2 and deciding SW51 had better synergy for this specific setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back