ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 26, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #5,296 of 12,524
That's what I've read and been referred to as well. My hesitation on BF2 is that I have powered monitors and I would like my dac to have controllable output level, possibly remote control (SE to tube, XLR to monitors). The other option is just get two dacs or just use my audio interface to my monitors which doesn't have remote control.

I can let you know what I think about the BF2->SW51+ pairing once I will receive my amp. (I also have the Denafrips Ares II)

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,297 of 12,524
@YtseJamer Agreed, and that's what I use with that amp currently. Also great with Ygg A2, but wasn't great with Gumby A2 - too neutral. Probably also wouldn't be great with the Soekris DACs or the RME ADI-2 and other DACs of that nature. I only have personal experience with the Schiit DACs with this amp, the rest is just extrapolating/triangulating.
Love it with VC and Aeolus as well.

Actually specifically bought this amp to use in a bedroom system with Bifrost 2 and VC after auditioning ZDT JR and Jot 2 and deciding SW51 had better synergy for this specific setup.

Thanks for your feedback. As you know, I didn't like the Jot 2 at all with my VC and my Aeolus.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #5,298 of 12,524
Unfortunately/Fortunately, that is what most of us have to do too in this hobby as well as others. Asking for others opinions on systems/synergy, reading reviews, doing research and hopefully, through that, make the right purchase. I've done the same and will continue to do the same. Currently doing that with the SW51+. I think I purchased it in January and delivery is April/May. Hope it stays on that timeline. Only just got my VC's in so listening on SS only for now. This will be my first tube amp. Still on the fence on what to do dac wise.

Anyone have experience with any of the wires from ZMF DIY cable kit: Atmos C, Atmos S, Michanikós. Looking for soft pliable cable.
Well I’m using VC ironwood with SW51+ and Bifrost 2. I really like it and it’s fun to listen to some Bollywood music( I’m from India) with this combo. Soundstage could have been bigger but the separation and layering is great. Mids are creamy Just to give you perspective I like warm and slightly dark tilted sound signature.
if you see my signature you will find only R2R NOS and OS. Metrum Onyx, Sonnet Morpheus and Bifrost all are very capable DAC. Biforst 2 sits at a nice price point but is as warm as NOS and slightly dark tilted DAC.
Can’t really suggest DAC unless you tell us your preferred sound signature and budget. But if SW51 is going to be your amp then you can easily go with Bifrost2. SET + R2R + ZMF OR HD6X0 is mid heaven

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #5,302 of 12,524
Well I’m using VC ironwood with SW51+ and Bifrost 2. I really like it and it’s fun to listen to some Bollywood music( I’m from India) with this combo. Soundstage could have been bigger but the separation and layering is great. Mids are creamy Just to give you perspective I like warm and slightly dark tilted sound signature.
if you see my signature you will find only R2R NOS and OS. Metrum Onyx, Sonnet Morpheus and Bifrost all are very capable DAC. Biforst 2 sits at a nice price point but is as warm as NOS and slightly dark tilted DAC.
Can’t really suggest DAC unless you tell us your preferred sound signature and budget. But if SW51 is going to be your amp then you can easily go with Bifrost2. SET + R2R + ZMF OR HD6X0 is mid heaven
I prefer more natural (not overly warm not overly bright) sound signature with detail. Separation and layering are favored over the biggest stage.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #5,303 of 12,524
I prefer more natural (not overly warm not overly bright) sound signature with detail. Separation and layering are favored over the biggest stage.
Well SW51+ and Bifrost 2 won't be neutral but won't be overly warm and dark as well just leaning to warmth. I would suggest you to try this Combo.Schiit has 15 days return with some restocking fee in case you don't like the combo.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #5,305 of 12,524
Hi guys,I get VC two days ago...and I need advice.I have Defrips Pontus and I try Rnhp amp.And I like some tube amp,but which one will have good synergy with Pontus?
Thanks
I can't speak to the Pontus, I have not heard one. But given your location, I'd think Feliks Audio tube amps would be your best bet. They're quite good with ZMFs and the Echo especially is very reasonably priced.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,306 of 12,524
I was really attracted to the Elise and Euforia amps; and read a lot of good things about both. Given where I live, got concerned about how hot the tubes and amp would get. I know, tubes and all; but the 4 of them on the Feliks amps = lots of heat. From other comments and reviews, the sound / build quality, and support from Feliks seem excellent; and I almost bought anyway. But this hot (irrational) concern made me pause.

Looked at Decware, Eddie Current, Manley, Ampsandsound (zmf), etc. Then stumbled on to DNA. As Orlok said, quite a following of happy owners over many years. Their info and feedback just resonated with me. Of course with covid, no way to audition anything. I read that Donald's philosophy was to not drive the tubes hard; which meant longer lasting tubes and less heat. Then I saw the inside of the Starlett, and that was it; I was sold. Solid and careful construction. Just like your Elise.

Have to say, the smurf blue will be pretty bold in my mid-century modern aesthetic here.

Kind of shake my head as I proof what I just wrote - nothing about audio, measurements, how it works with Verite, etc. etc. Silly to base solely others perceptions, looks, coolness (!), etc. Though I did exactly the same with my Schitt, Maggies, and Verite with no regrets.

For what it's worth, good to see you're happy with the Elise. I bet it's just magical. Hope to feel the same in November with the Starlett.
Thanks for a helpful response, @W3WEB. I think many of us make decisions based on a combination of aesthetics, reading impressions from others and instinct. I was fortunate to hear Elise at a CanJam driving ZMF cans, and it helped me finalize a decision that I've remained very happy with.

On your very valid concern about heat, I too was apprehensive especially as I have grandkids that visit. One really useful mitigation that is a "win-win" with Elise is to use power tubes other than 6AS7G family. With adapters I've found excellent sonic results with 6L6, KTT66 and similar power tubes that have much lower heater current and generate substantially less heat. Running cooler and adapters elevating tubes off the chassis may also be a "win" for the longevity of the amp as well.

That said, ALL of the amps you reference above have merit are well-regarded and likely you'll love the Starlett. Please keep us posted!

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #5,308 of 12,524
I had no idea my upcoming setup was such a popular choice. Like many of you, I’m patiently waiting on an SW51+ to match with my Bifrost 2 and VC. I’m very glad to read that the combination is being enjoyed by others here!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #5,309 of 12,524
Do you prefer the SW51+ over the Liquid Platinum with the VC?
Haven't got a chance to listen to LP recently as its in my other home which I have no access to due to Covid and my LP with NOS tube was connected to Onyx or Morpheus which are BETTER DAC then Bifrost.
But if anything I always miss Drop ZDT Jr as I enjoyed it with VO and VC alike and while it was with me I never used LP.
That's why I always suggest anyone looking for new amp to get something with higher OI for Verite

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #5,310 of 12,524
Haven't got a chance to listen to LP recently as its in my other home which I have no access to due to Covid and my LP with NOS tube was connected to Onyx or Morpheus which are BETTER DAC then Bifrost.
But if anything I always miss Drop ZDT Jr as I enjoyed it with VO and VC alike and while it was with me I never used LP.
That's why I always suggest anyone looking for new amp to get something with higher OI for Verite

Thanks for your feedback. I was also interested to try the ZDT Jr, but from what I heard the SW51+ is a better pairing with the VC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back