ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,846 of 12,488
There's a relevant Japanese term for this known as 'wabi-sabi' which essentially means embracing natural imperfections. :)

In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #4,847 of 12,488
My Utopia are flawless and I really enjoy looking at them. Fortunately I have lots of time to look at them because they are never on my head! That’s the one downside of the VC, I don’t get to enjoy their beauty because I am always listening...

Some new toys to feed my VC. Initially I was not overwhelmed with the TT2 as a stand alone unit with a Vérité. It’s a Beautiful sound but a very warm DAC and doesn’t bring out the best of the VC in my opinion but the addition of the M scaler added a level of transparency, detail and delicacy that is truly spectacular.
I’m also not a huge fan of the headphone out of the TT2, it’s an OK amp but low impedance solid state is not my favorite with the VC. it is convenient for TV and movies but can’t hold a candle to my eddy current Zana Deux super with music.
It has really gotten to the point where the VC is all I listen to. I put on my other headphones and I just wonder why I’m wasting my time with them.
5D381D53-2351-4B2E-84F7-C57B5FF5B543.jpeg
DCB300C1-DDA2-40B1-8EB4-3A427236E0AD.jpeg

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,848 of 12,488
Some new toys to feed my VC. Initially I was not overwhelmed with the TT2 as a stand alone unit with a Vérité. It’s a Beautiful sound but a very warm DAC and doesn’t bring out the best of the VC in my opinion but the addition of the M scaler added a level of transparency, detail and delicacy that is truly spectacular.
I’m also not a huge fan of the headphone out of the TT2, it’s an OK amp but low impedance solid state is not my favorite with the VC. it is convenient for TV and movies but can’t hold a candle to my eddy current Zana Deux super with music.
It has really gotten to the point where the VC is all I listen to. I put on my other headphones and I just wonder why I’m wasting my time with them.
5D381D53-2351-4B2E-84F7-C57B5FF5B543.jpegDCB300C1-DDA2-40B1-8EB4-3A427236E0AD.jpeg
I am forwarding this picture to my father. I am telling him that when I grow up, this is what I want. I am so jealous. All I can say, is "you suck."

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #4,849 of 12,488
5D381D53-2351-4B2E-84F7-C57B5FF5B543.jpeg
Nice.

You're happy with the combo then? :wink:

Feb 10, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #4,850 of 12,488
My last post in this thread (at least at this specific cans).

Three different persons think they look like b-stock. Me too.
Paying 3 600 euros (incl. shipping/taxes) for a set of cans that looks like b-stock with no picture on website indicating this is like..
And then having some fan boys ranting about - "you know wood is special" and deleting posts and manufacturer saying "sell them"..

For those who love the look of the cans they are put up for sale in sale/trade forum.
Wow, paying $4,360 U.S. dollar sounds ridiculously high for headphones you never listened to. GLWS

A really bad Monday, questionable consumer service or a new standard?

First – from the side this is the most beautiful cans I have ever seen. Totally lived up to (high) expectations.
BUT there are some unacceptable things and some questionable things.

1. Order headband leather/leather – got suede/suede.
2. Order ¼ inch – got XLR
3. Should not the whole cup look the same?
4. Consumer service?

Suede/suede headband is really ugly from my point of view, probably a bit more comfort thou. But with ambition to buy the worlds most beautiful cans I chose to go with leather/leather to make the complete package look astonishing.
Then open the box and finding suede/suede was - lets say a bit disappointing.

Time to pick out cables and to my surprise they are also wrong. No ¼ as ordered but XLR on both cables. That is two really bad **** ups..

As said – from the sides those VC´s look perfect. Best cans ever (except the suede/suede as previous written).
But when taking a closer look and from different angles they fail. Take a close look on the added pictures and please comment on your thoughts.
A – Bottom of pic, middle a bit to the right most obvious. Flaws and not even the same color, like not put at same thickness during process making it “shine thru” lighter on the side. (Not from flash – it IS different color)
B and C – from multiple different angles you get this really bad look – untreated light wood clearly in view beside the treated dark (beautiful) wood. Think of a chair, car or lamp that isn´t painted even all around – it doesn´t look good at all. Totally destroys the feeling of quality. Small holes for screws also untreated light wood shining thru. I have tried look on other ZMF headphones on google but not seen this on others?

When emailing on failure with headband and cables the suggestion is DIY – we send some leather, new cable and you can watch online-movies on how to fix it.
On a headphone for close to 4000 euro that is a totally new experience to be asked to fix it self!! (after custom/taxes to Sweden)
Oh, I forgot – they asked me about my size. I guess that indicates a could get a t-shirt for and doing some marketing for them for free as a nice gesture..
I am not familiar with consumer service in USA but in Sweden (live there) the company would bring forward a new set of cans ASAP and ask If they could please send their best cable or something as a forgive us for a bad **** up on our most expensive gear. No more question asked. The flawed unit of course sent back.
If a more regular priced item like a HD600 or a XM3 a new set would be sent without sending back the one in first place.

To balance the critic a should write that the 10-15 mail leading up to the order of the cans with multiple questions always got good answers as expected from a top of the line company.

Sound - I do not know. I don´t have XLR so not listened to them..
I must say I am a bit shocked from my only experience so far with ZMF.

A really bad Monday, questionable consumer service or a new standard?

Pictures below first - A, second B and third - C
A.jpeg

B.jpeg

C.jpeg
@ckhirnigs113 wasn't this the same set you got? How did yours turn out?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4,851 of 12,488
Nice.

You're happy with the combo then? :wink:
I’m thrilled with the combination! I have to wait before to post my impressions on the TT2 thread to regain my courage. Just a heads up… Don’t go on the TT2 thread and say there is anything about the Chord that is less perfect unless you want to get eviscerated and be the cause mass hysteria 😂

I am forwarding this picture to my father. I am telling him that when I grow up, this is what I want. I am so jealous. All I can say, is "you suck."
You can take some comfort in knowing that I’ll have to live the rest of my life with only one kidney...

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #4,852 of 12,488
Any advice on 6sn7/6as7 tubes that really sing with these? I love the combination of a TungSol 5998 with a pair of Silvertone 6j5s in an adapter with my Auteurs.

Feb 10, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #4,853 of 12,488
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,854 of 12,488
I really should clarify as I don't think I worded my initial post as well as I could have to my intentions.

I'm not telling you are anyone who doesn't like the way our headphones are built to sell them because we don't want to help. We will always take care of our customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you end up not liking how our products turn out, they are somewhat hard to get and we have an extensive wait time, so selling them shouldnt be tough.

Thanks so much for trying our headphones and I'm sorry you found they aren't for you.
Reading the last few pages made me realize, no, I did not miss my calling in life.

083a0c24253eda0388e56f434b6eb151.gif

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,855 of 12,488
Any advice on 6sn7/6as7 tubes that really sing with these? I love the combination of a TungSol 5998 with a pair of Silvertone 6j5s in an adapter with my Auteurs.
Silvertone was a Sylvania rebrand. If you can get your hands on the metal base Sylvania 6j5 ( or 6sn7 ) they sound really good with the VC.
I like 6bx7s in my Glenn, but im guessing you cant use them in your amp. If you can use 6080s, check out the Bendix...huge stage and slam galore.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4,856 of 12,488
Silvertone was a Sylvania rebrand. If you can get your hands on the metal base Sylvania 6j5 ( or 6sn7 ) they sound really good with the VC.
I like 6bx7s in my Glenn, but im guessing you cant use them in your amp. If you can use 6080s, check out the Bendix...huge stage and slam galore.
I can use 6080s, the amp is a heavily modified Darkvoice, and I have a Crack kit coming. I’ve got two nice Mullards.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #4,857 of 12,488
I can use 6080s, the amp is a heavily modified Darkvoice, and I have a Crack kit coming. I’ve got two nice Mullards.
Mullards are a little too dark and thick sounding for my tastes with the VC, but you might dig em.

I mention the Bendix because in addition to that slam and absurdly wide stage, theyre also quite tight and fast sounding, which is how I prefer the VC to sound. YMMV.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #4,858 of 12,488
Mullards are a little too dark and thick sounding for my tastes with the VC, but you might dig em.

I mention the Bendix because in addition to that slam and absurdly wide stage, theyre also quite tight and fast sounding, which is how I prefer the VC to sound. YMMV.
I’ll check them out, thanks!

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #4,859 of 12,488
I’ll check them out, thanks!
Be sitting down when you see the price tag! Not cheap, but IMHO def worth the coin. Theyre also becoming increasingly hard to find. Not GEC 6as7g rare, but close.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4,860 of 12,488

I think the best 6SN7 option is a pair of 6J5's. Looks like you are already there. My 6SN7's got super lonely after the dual 6J5 adapter showed up.

I also agree with @Monsterzero on the 6BX7's. Those tubes can do things with the VC that should probably be considered inappropriate :relaxed:.

There was a discussion in the 6AS7G thread recently about using a pair of 6BX7's in the Crack and the Crackatwoa with an adapter. Sounds like it might be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back