ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 10, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,831 of 12,524
Headband and cables we have contact.
About the look on cans I search info from other owners here on forum first - then I can better understand if this is really bad or ”as usual”. Without that info it is hard to have discussion with ZMF. And when comments here says ”looks like b-stock” I understand this is really bad.

Hi- I wanted to jump in to address this here. One of the things Zach and I take very seriously is working with people to help achieve solutions. I wanted to give some clarity on my response to your emails as I felt that we were in dialogue to get things set as quickly as possible for you.

The first email we received was Feb 8th at 3:44 PM. I can only go off of the information that I have and in this email you noted that you had received the beautiful cans but that there were 2 minor problems. I emailed back same day at 3:50 PM aware that if I dropped everything I could get a package off with DHL that day to you. I have included my email:

"I am so sorry about this. I will get the correct items out to you ASAP through DHL. I will mark them low value as replacements, so customs fees should not be a concern. Please let me know your direct address and T-shirt size.

Again, so sorry about this mistake-"

The next email I have from you is asking about the ease of installing the headbands and letting me know you need some time to think about what you'd like to do.

My response was the below:

"We have tutorial videos for just about every adjustment on our youtube channel: . I am happy to send you the items and you can decide if you'd like to install them.
I am so sorry about the cables though-- I will at least get those right out so you can have a listen!
Let me know how to post to you and I will have it off ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Bevin"

I did not receive a reply to this email and have cables waiting and wrapped at my shipping desk. As noted, I don't have your direct address and had asked for it, but haven't heard back yet.

I really apologize for the mistake. We always try to work with people and find some middle ground through dialogue. Working through the pandemic has been a challenge, and I am sorry that we didn't get your specifications applied correctly. I try to be creative and if you are not confident in an ability to install parts after watching the video, I would try to offer other suggestions. Please feel free to continue our email dialogue-

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #4,832 of 12,524
Question on adjusting the cups. On most of my headphones, you just adjust the cups by moving them up and down the
Hi- I wanted to jump in to address this here. One of the things Zach and I take very seriously is working with people to help achieve solutions. I wanted to give some clarity on my response to your emails as I felt that we were in dialogue to get things set as quickly as possible for you.

The first email we received was Feb 8th at 3:44 PM. I can only go off of the information that I have and in this email you noted that you had received the beautiful cans but that there were 2 minor problems. I emailed back same day at 3:50 PM aware that if I dropped everything I could get a package off with DHL that day to you. I have included my email:

"I am so sorry about this. I will get the correct items out to you ASAP through DHL. I will mark them low value as replacements, so customs fees should not be a concern. Please let me know your direct address and T-shirt size.

Again, so sorry about this mistake-"

The next email I have from you is asking about the ease of installing the headbands and letting me know you need some time to think about what you'd like to do.

My response was the below:

"We have tutorial videos for just about every adjustment on our youtube channel: . I am happy to send you the items and you can decide if you'd like to install them.
I am so sorry about the cables though-- I will at least get those right out so you can have a listen!
Let me know how to post to you and I will have it off ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Bevin"

I did not receive a reply to this email and have cables waiting and wrapped at my shipping desk. As noted, I don't have your direct address and had asked for it, but haven't heard back yet.

I really apologize for the mistake. We always try to work with people and find some middle ground through dialogue. Working through the pandemic has been a challenge, and I am sorry that we didn't get your specifications applied correctly. I try to be creative and if you are not confident in an ability to install parts after watching the video, I would try to offer other suggestions. Please feel free to continue our email dialogue-

Thanks Bevin for the video. I was actually just going to ask how to adjust the cups on my VC. Now I have my answer.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #4,833 of 12,524
Headband and cables we have contact.
About the look on cans I search info from other owners here on forum first - then I can better understand if this is really bad or ”as usual”. Without that info it is hard to have discussion with ZMF. And when comments here says ”looks like b-stock” I understand this is really bad.
Ok, I have checked mine and if I hold it at just the right angle, as you have photographed it, I can see the unstained part. I think it's a non-issue and it sounds like they have been quick and helpful in correcting the mistakes with the cable and headband (and I guess you get to keep the original parts as well).

It sounds fine to me. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,834 of 12,524
I thought a follow up post just giving some ZMF context for newcomers might be important. While some people know our story and our process, I realize we have attracted a wider audience and as that audience grows, making some items well known about ZMF might be helpful.

ZMF is a small boutique audio shop in Illinois, USA. Our small team hand-makes our headphones from solid blocks of wood. We are active through the whole process in terms of sourcing out our wood, having it cut into blocks on our CNC machine, and then going through the intensive process of bringing a hunk of tree into a Hifi headphone. Our process culminates in extensive testing on our equipment. There is a wait time while your headphone goes through all of these processes from tree to headphone. With the added wild card of wood being an ever unique and complex medium, each set gets individualized attention to care for its specific needs. This can mean extra processes in sanding, finishing, etc.

We don't use a heavy poly on any of our cups-- we came up in this headphone world from the principles of building acoustic instruments and have applied that knowledge to how we construct our headphones. Letting the properties of the individual wood play a part in the density of the cup, instead of a standardized dip treatment.

That said we don't have headphones that are ready at the go. We have come from the design prospective with our headphones that they are modularly constructed so that you won't experience a plastic snap where your headphones will have to be tossed. Each part of our headphones are replaceable (except the cups) and we try to have resources available so that users can keep their headphones in top shape forever and maintain them much like an acoustic guitar. We are pretty different in the headphone space with regards to our construction and our company. That is absolutely true. We don't offer a more traditional drop ship experience of a readily replaceable molded headphone-- we may or may not appeal to your sensibilities.

We are super grateful to all of our ZMF owners and new and old alike and really want to be a company you feel you can call on. Sometimes we take a bit to get back to emails-- as a small company without a dedicated support staff and especially in these times, we are triaging to get support where and when needed as quickly as possible. Zach and I handle our email support as we try to really get a solution in place rather than have some kind of quick answer from a bot that feels expedient but lacking.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,835 of 12,524
About the look on cans I search info from other owners here on forum first - then I can better understand if this is really bad or ”as usual”.

My headphones don't look like yours. There is no untreated wood visible whatsoever. But they are made of different type of wood. I thought yours are B stock.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,836 of 12,524
My headphones don't look like yours. There is no untreated wood visible whatsoever. But they are made of different type of wood.

All the sets are made the same - without finishing the baffle/ear side - but a set that has a custom double stain that is a light color wood like ash will be more obvious to see the tone change of color vs a wood that has no stain, like cocobolo etc etc

So basically we finish the entire exterior of the cup, but nothing that either is indented like the rotational set screw slot or the ear facing side of the cups or the interior of the cup.

Last edited:

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #4,837 of 12,524
I thought a follow up post just giving some ZMF context for newcomers might be important. While some people know our story and our process, I realize we have attracted a wider audience and as that audience grows, making some items well known about ZMF might be helpful.

ZMF is a small boutique audio shop in Illinois, USA. Our small team hand-makes our headphones from solid blocks of wood. We are active through the whole process in terms of sourcing out our wood, having it cut into blocks on our CNC machine, and then going through the intensive process of bringing a hunk of tree into a Hifi headphone. Our process culminates in extensive testing on our equipment. There is a wait time while your headphone goes through all of these processes from tree to headphone. With the added wild card of wood being an ever unique and complex medium, each set gets individualized attention to care for its specific needs. This can mean extra processes in sanding, finishing, etc.

We don't use a heavy poly on any of our cups-- we came up in this headphone world from the principles of building acoustic instruments and have applied that knowledge to how we construct our headphones. Letting the properties of the individual wood play a part in the density of the cup, instead of a standardized dip treatment.

That said we don't have headphones that are ready at the go. We have come from the design prospective with our headphones that they are modularly constructed so that you won't experience a plastic snap where your headphones will have to be tossed. Each part of our headphones are replaceable (except the cups) and we try to have resources available so that users can keep their headphones in top shape forever and maintain them much like an acoustic guitar. We are pretty different in the headphone space with regards to our construction and our company. That is absolutely true. We don't offer a more traditional drop ship experience of a readily replaceable molded headphone-- we may or may not appeal to your sensibilities.

We are super grateful to all of our ZMF owners and new and old alike and really want to be a company you feel you can call on. Sometimes we take a bit to get back to emails-- as a small company without a dedicated support staff and especially in these times, we are triaging to get support where and when needed as quickly as possible. Zach and I handle our email support as we try to really get a solution in place rather than have some kind of quick answer from a bot that feels expedient but lacking.
Happy ZMF owners are legion. Thank you for making beautiful things that us all happy.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,838 of 12,524
My headphones have started to emit annoying sound when I put them on. The sound comes from the height adjustment mechanism. I think it had some kind of lubricant which has dried up. Can anyone recommend a lubricant which would help?
I have mechanical keyboard switch lube. Would it be suitable?

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #4,839 of 12,524
Having owned 8 sets of ZMFs, they've all been unfinished in those spots and I've not seen pics of any that were different. On naturally darker woods it's less noticeable and on none did it ever concern me. As for appearing b-stock, that was one person's question, and having owned 2 b-stocks, one I couldn't find any "flaw" at all and on another it's minor and only visible at certain angles. By far, the quickest and easiest solution to a wrong headband would to be shipped a replacement and do it myself. 3 minutes vs. sending back and waiting? I'll take the 3 minute solution. I'd be thrilled to have the set pictured and happy to ultimately have 2 versions of the headband and able to sell off the one I don't keep. While the cable mess up would annoy me too, if I lived somewhere more populated I'd just go buy an adapter to be able to use it while waiting for the replacement cable. It sounds like they quickly came up with solutions to replace the cable and headband in a way that would allow you to enjoy them as quickly as possible. That's the solution I would have wanted had the same happened to me. I've yet to see cups that are identical and wouldn't expect any different. Those two are very similar. With the stabilized, the two can be very different but with those ash ones, all the ones have been far more different from each other than with more similar woods like Silk and Sapele. I've seen pics of most of the sets I've bought before I bought them and in all cases they've looked better in person than the best pics. It sounds like the issue is being resolved, so hopefully you are able to fully enjoy them very soon. That style is an extreme rarity and will hold their value very well if you ever decide to sell them.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,840 of 12,524
My headphones have started to emit annoying sound when I put them on. The sound comes from the height adjustment mechanism. I think it had some kind of lubricant which has dried up. Can anyone recommend a lubricant which would help?
I have mechanical keyboard switch lube. Would it be suitable?

Resource Alert! This is a good one for all owners and even people waiting on the arrival of their headphones:

Inline with our design concept being modular- we have created a ZMF Guide online here: https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-guide
The guide is referenced in the owner documents that come with your headphones on the Welcome to the Family card-- you can get there by scanning the QR code on the card.
We have tried to compile all sorts of care tips, how to's, and just general info on your wooden headphones.

A good rule is don't force anything and if you have questions reach out before proceeding.

Many of the items listed have links to youtube videos. Or if you look up our channel on Youtube-- we have a whole log of videos where you can see how things are constructed and adjusted.

I think your question is addressed in the very bottom drop down- but let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #4,842 of 12,524
I'm not one to normally defend headphone makers, and I had some VCs and sold them. But, one can't expect to see perfectly uniform cups or absolutely no flaws on a pair of headphones that are handmade. If this was like Focal Stellias, and there were some weird issues with how they look, I would probably contact Focal. The VCs I had, had little scuffs and cups that looked different. I think some of the fun of these handmade items is the little flaws. You are able to tell they were made by hand. I think maybe some people aren't used to hand made items and came in expecting factory precision.

Also, I think the pictures on the ZMF website don't help either. The headphones in those pictures are virtually "perfect," and some buyers might expect their headphones to look exactly the same.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #4,844 of 12,524
I'm not one to normally defend headphone makers, and I had some VCs and sold them. But, one can't expect to see perfectly uniform cups or absolutely no flaws on a pair of headphones that are handmade. If this was like Focal Stellias, and there were some weird issues with how they look, I would probably contact Focal. The VCs I had, had little scuffs and cups that looked different. I think some of the fun of these handmade items is the little flaws. You are able to tell they were made by hand. I think maybe some people aren't used to hand made items and came in expecting factory precision.

Also, I think the pictures on the ZMF website don't help either. The headphones in those pictures are virtually "perfect," and some buyers might expect their headphones to look exactly the same.
True. The ZMF headphones are very much hand-made; its very nature dictates a degree of human intervention that is often missing in a mass-produced item (typically, in factories). For example, variances in finish, and (very) slight cosmetic flaws. Comparing my Vérité Closed to some of the other headphones in my collection (e.g. MDR-Z1R, AH-D9200, TH900 Mk2, LCD-XC), you can observe the physical efforts of the makers to craft a polished article by hand.

I've auditioned the ZMF stable of headphones before, so I knew what I was getting into when I ordered my Vérité Closed. Nevertheless, they exude a level of charm and honesty that is sometimes lacking in other manufactured products - you can almost picture someone polishing the cups and fitting them all together.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #4,845 of 12,524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back