ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,702 of 12,527
I've been eyeing the VCs for some time now but I'm disappointed to hear from Zach that the Rupert Neve RNHP would likely not be a good match. That's what I have and hadn't really factored in getting a new amp as well the headphones.

I currently use the Rupert Neve RNHP with my Ether 2s and it sounds very good to my ears.

I wonder if anyone could suggest an amp that would pair well with both the VCs and the Ether 2s and other planar headphones? I've had a look at the Beyer A20 that Zach suggests but it gets slightly mixed reviews and I'm not completely sold on it. Perhaps it partners particularly well with the VCs but less so with other cans?

Budgetwise, I'd like to keep it under £500 approx. My listening tastes are pretty wide - mainly mainstream rock, jazz, blues and classical. Not rap or dance. My taste leans toward warm and musical rather than analytical but I wouldn't want anything too colored or too far from neutral.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer.
I hear you, it's disheartening to learn your gear doesn't pair well with the headphone you're either thinking about, or just got. I've been through that with the HD800 and now the VC. But once you do get the chain set, it can totally be worth it.

As for an amp that pairs well with the VC and Ether, i'd think a used Violectric V200. It's a solid state amp with a warmer presentation. It offers a ton of both voltage and current, so both headphones will be well fed, and it sounds really nice. the V100 is more neutral sounding than the V200, but still sounds great, and is also worth a shot if the V200 isn't available.

The Gilmore Lite MK 2 is a great amp as well. It doesn't have the power of the V200, but still has enough to get the job done, and sounds great.

A used Woo Audio WA6 SE might work, if you can find one. It's a tube amp but transformer coupled, so it will work well with both dynamic and planar drivers.

Another option to consider is running two amps. If you like the RNHP for the Ether, keep it, and grab an OTL tube amp for the VC. A Schiit Valhalla 2 used is probably your cheapest option, and should be readily available. If you can get a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, that's another killer option for the VC. IMO the VC sounds best to me out of full tube amps, which don't always play nice with planars. Having two amps would help you optimize both headphones, as there's less compromises, outside budget. Assuming you have the space and desire for two units. I do that at work. I split the signal from my dac to two amps, which are optimized for the headphones i listen to most. it's a pain, and expensive, but it lets me have the best of both worlds.

The last option i can think of is a used Schiit Mjolnir 2. That is a solid choice that can easily power both sets, and you can tailor the sound to your liking via tubes.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,703 of 12,527
I run my VC from a Mjolnir 2 which has low output impedance as well but it doesn't seem to stop them sounding great together.

That's fair, I still think my VC sounds amazing out of the 789, and I'm pretty sure (but haven't reached a conclusion) that I prefer the RME/THX to the Element 2 (which has a slightly higher output impedance) but I'm very curious now to see how it will sound on a 100+ output impedance amp after hearing that I'm not giving the drivers the best, or closer to suggested, conditions.

I'm thinking of picking up an A2 now to test that out as I still want an amp that can handle lower impedance headphones and there seems to be very few SS amps that have such a high output impedance with the option to lower it. I think one of the Cayin's does that too?

May 8, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,704 of 12,527
Feliks Elise?
I drive ZMF Auteur (don't own VC but Auteur is also 300 ohms) with Feliks Elise and it is a great match, also quite responsive to tube roles to "tune" the signature.

May 8, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,705 of 12,527
That's fair, I still think my VC sounds amazing out of the 789, and I'm pretty sure (but haven't reached a conclusion) that I prefer the RME/THX to the Element 2 (which has a slightly higher output impedance) but I'm very curious now to see how it will sound on a 100+ output impedance amp after hearing that I'm not giving the drivers the best, or closer to suggested, conditions.

I'm thinking of picking up an A2 now to test that out as I still want an amp that can handle lower impedance headphones and there seems to be very few SS amps that have such a high output impedance with the option to lower it. I think one of the Cayin's does that too?
Get a tube amp! The A2 will make the Ether 2 sound muddy because of the high output impedance. Or a V200 or V281 from Violectric for solid state. They have a warm sound reminiscent of tube amps and sound great with almost any can on the market. If you can find a ZDT Jr that’s a great amp with ZMF cans for not a lot of dough. I’m going to be listing my ZMF Pendant amp for sale soon if you want a tube amp that will work with Ether 2’s and the VC (It has two jacks with 8 & 300 ohm impedance respectively), but it’s not cheap.

May 8, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,706 of 12,527
I've been eyeing the VCs for some time now but I'm disappointed to hear from Zach that the Rupert Neve RNHP would likely not be a good match. That's what I have and hadn't really factored in getting a new amp as well the headphones.

I currently use the Rupert Neve RNHP with my Ether 2s and it sounds very good to my ears.

I wonder if anyone could suggest an amp that would pair well with both the VCs and the Ether 2s and other planar headphones? I've had a look at the Beyer A20 that Zach suggests but it gets slightly mixed reviews and I'm not completely sold on it. Perhaps it partners particularly well with the VCs but less so with other cans?

Budgetwise, I'd like to keep it under £500 approx. My listening tastes are pretty wide - mainly mainstream rock, jazz, blues and classical. Not rap or dance. My taste leans toward warm and musical rather than analytical but I wouldn't want anything too colored or too far from neutral.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer.
I would also encourage you to keep in mind the context within which Zach's comment about the Rupert Neve amps was made: Zach was trying to find different solutions for the troll who seemed determined to dislike the Verite Closed/high end closed headphones generally. He refused to try to be helped. It looks like he went back and deleted his posts, but you can find his second most recent comment in Zach's comment about the THX and Rupert Neve amps' impedance. The dude said he preferred sub $400 Denons, sub $200 monitoring Beyers, and, in another deleted post, sub $200 monitoring Sony cans. He was either trolling, doesn't understand hi-fi, or the dude's hearing is straight up shot.

Read Zach's comment after that, he put his comment in context to it all being up to personal preference. Like the troll, I have the THX 789 amp, but I absolutely love how my VOs and VCs sound powered by it. I plan to save up to buy a tube amp that can handle high impedance headphones like ZMFs and Sennheisers, but also power low impedance headphones, like the Oppo planar magnetic headphones that I have. But that's because I want to explore powering my headphones through different types of amplification sources, not because the THX amp is lacking for me in any way.

If you have your eye on the VCs, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. I am happy with the stock pad offerings. And I cannot stress enough how amazing ZMF customer support is. The dude had commented a few weeks back, and despite previous attempts to help without receiving a response, Zach was still willing to help finding the right sound for him. My own personal interactions with Zach and Bevin have been nothing but fantastic. As was suggested earlier you could keep the Rupert Neve amp, and then save up for a higher impedance amp later.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,707 of 12,527
I run my VC from a Mjolnir 2 which has low output impedance as well but it doesn't seem to stop them sounding great together.
I think the point was that Zach suggested an amp with higher output impedance. Isn't the Lyr 3 only 0.3 Ohm? Not sure that would solve the problem here.

It doesn't mean a low output impedance amp will sound bad or subjectively not as good as a high output impedance amp. I just think that with a high impedance headphone like our line up, a final determination that the headphones does or doesn't work for you should be made after at least trying a couple sources with different impedance to see what you like the most.

The LYR 3 is what I typically recommend from the under 500 usd schiit line-up despite its low impedance. It has plenty of power at 300 ohms and is less damped sounding than other low impedance amps for whatever reason.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 8, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,708 of 12,527
It doesn't mean a low output impedance amp will sound bad or subjectively not as good as a high output impedance amp. I just think that with a high impedance headphone like our line up, a final determination that the headphones does or doesn't work for you should be made after at least trying a couple sources with different impedance to see what you like the most.

The LYR 3 is what I typically recommend from the under 500 usd schiit line-up despite its low impedance. It has plenty of power at 300 ohms and is less damped sounding than other low impedance amps for whatever reason.

Hi Zach
Will wa7 2nd edition work' compared to lyr3 sound?

May 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,709 of 12,527
Wow! Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions on amping the VCs. I'll look into all of these in more detail. I seem to recall Dan Clark recommending the Gilmore Lite for the Ether 2s so if this will also do a good job on the VCs it sounds promising.

The VCs are now sold out in the UK so I may have plenty of time to make decision!

May 8, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,710 of 12,527
Hi Zach
Will wa7 2nd edition work' compared to lyr3 sound?

WA7 and the Woo Amps are great, they have a nice euphonic tonality that's very pleasing. Schiit amps are a little more neutral and less euphonic, I like both of them a lot.

Wow! Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions on amping the VCs. I'll look into all of these in more detail. I seem to recall Dan Clark recommending the Gilmore Lite for the Ether 2s so if this will also do a good job on the VCs it sounds promising.

The VCs are now sold out in the UK so I may have plenty of time to make decision!

Gilmore lite is a great amp! Work for just about everything pretty well.

We are making a batch of headphones for Acorn (our UK dealer) right now, probably will be delivered sometime around the end of the month.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 8, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,711 of 12,527
The courier left two packets :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_163029289.jpg
    IMG_20200508_163029289.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200508_163113503.jpg
    IMG_20200508_163113503.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200508_164548033.jpg
    IMG_20200508_164548033.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 0
May 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,712 of 12,527
May 8, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,713 of 12,527

I use Benchmark HPA4 with Verite Open and Aeolus and I think they both sound phenomenal. I am waiting for the Pendant so I will be able to compare them directly, but I think that both Verite and Aeolus already sound great with the Benchmark (at least to me).

May 8, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,715 of 12,527

Users who are viewing this thread

Back