ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,506 of 12,527
I'm trying to wait on posting impressions until the dedicated amp gets here.. but just out of the Hugo 2 these are one of the most amazing headphones I've ever heard.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #2,507 of 12,527
I hope that this one :)

The stabilized wood is definitely coming. Not sure if they will be LTD's in the way previous offerings have been made.

Welll been following this thread for at least 6 months since after getting my first ZMF headphone (Aeolus) off the classifieds. Im excited to say I just placed my order for a VC! I loved the Aeolus so much and needing a closed back, I was willing to buy new and support Zach! I have to say @zach915m has been patient and helpful with every question I had plus he's real easy to talk to. Now for the waiting game!
Sometimes I wonder if Zach ever gets anything done because he's always responding to e-mails. :L3000:

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2,508 of 12,527
Sometimes I wonder if Zach ever gets anything done because he's always responding to e-mails. :L3000:
Maybe Zach is one of those people that sleep 4 hours / night, and work for 20 hours / day...

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,509 of 12,527
The stabilized wood is definitely coming. Not sure if they will be LTD's in the way previous offerings have been made.

As I understood from Zach, those will be built first and then offered for sale. These will be works of art and will having me seriously thinking about getting them.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #2,510 of 12,527
As I understood from Zach, those will be built first and then offered for sale. These will be works of art and will having me seriously thinking about getting them.

Yes, and each unit will have it's own pictures taken, etc. Probably a similar system to what they do with the Rosson Rad-0's.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #2,511 of 12,527
I just hope that however it's done folks have some sort of advance notice and reasonable chance to get in on it, rather than just "happen to be the first person to visit the ZMF page after they were silently added at 2:37pm on a random Tuesday."

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #2,512 of 12,527
I just hope that however it's done folks have some sort of advance notice and reasonable chance to get in on it, rather than just "happen to be the first person to visit the ZMF page after they were silently added at 2:37pm on a random Tuesday."
I think you have PLENTY of free time to F5. :beerchug:

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #2,513 of 12,527

Zach should sell these auction house style, like fine art. I wonder how high the bids would go... $5,000 going once, going twice...

56oMbgp.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,514 of 12,527
I am sure Zach will announce them ahead of time. Since they will not be cheap, I doubt they will be a spontaneous purchase for most people.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #2,515 of 12,527
They look so amazing I'd be tempted to drop 5K even if they weren't capable of playing music lol

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #2,516 of 12,527
I bet if you sign up for their email notices, you will have a better chance of knowing when they are available. ZMF knows how to run a business, no doubt.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #2,517 of 12,527
Okay, so I found out last week that AutoEQ doesn't just generate Harman corrections, it can use measurements crinacle, oratory, etc. have collected to EQ one headphone to another's target. It took me days of installing stuff, troubleshooting, and asking Jaakko for help to get it working, but I generated an LCD-4 EQ for my Verite and Holy crap I love it.

I've been paying enough attention to measurements on stuff I listen to to figure out that what I like about certain slightly "unnatural" sounding gear that lets me play things louder is that, compared to the Harman target, the midrange rise begins earlier with a hump around 1-1.5kHz and then there's a dip that starts just before 2kHz, and valleys near 2.5-3kHz before coming back near target.

Here's what the LCD-4 curve applied to the VC looks like:

ZMF VC - LCD4.png

The auto EQ dipped the bass too much, so I left it as-is. I won't be using this profile all the time, or for all music, but I feel zero need to pick up an extra headphone to cover the stuff the VC wasn't quite nailing for me now. And with the extra subbass impact and isolation I think I may actually be happier with this than a real LCD-4. There's a very interesting effect I remember from the LCD-4 where the shape of the treble curve accentuated room reverbs in this very specific way. It's unnatural, but I personally like it a lot. On first listen to the LCD-4 this tricked me into thinking I was hearing "more separation in the midrange than I've heard before." And I definitely hear that being reproduced here with the EQ applied to the VC. I don't have an LCD-4 on hand to say how exactly close this gets to sounding just like it, but it achieves what I wanted from the LCD-4, which is simply being able to blast the volume comfortably with certain specific kinds of music.

Things I've managed to get to absolutely nail my preferences now are the HD800 SDR with the oratory1990 EQ settings cut to 25-50% of their original values, the VC, and this VC->LCD-4. I'd post the EQ settings here, but to get the measurement data for the VC you have to make a $15 subscription to Crinacle's Patreon, and I don't want to run around that. I'm gonna send some $ to Jaako for this too... I highly recommend playing around with this thing and sending him something if you get anything out of it. He was extremely helpful getting me through the steps to get the thing going. I'll definitely try to answer questions by PM to help if you run into trouble, I want to try to keep people from bugging him as much as I did, lol.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,518 of 12,527
.. Back to the Auteur pads. Why did I ever change? These things sound amazing. Maybe moving to other pads makes coming home to the Auteur pads so sweet ..

I sort of think of the pads as yet-another-tube. Change some tubes, compliment with pad changes. Change some pads, tweak with the right tubes. Really a thing of beauty. Brilliant - really.

I'd take a picture for you, but I can't take 'em off my head. Here they are in a brief moment of non-listening.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,519 of 12,527
.. Back to the Auteur pads. Why did I ever change? These things sound amazing. Maybe moving to other pads makes coming home to the Auteur pads so sweet ..

I sort of think of the pads as yet-another-tube. Change some tubes, compliment with pad changes. Change some pads, tweak with the right tubes. Really a thing of beauty. Brilliant - really.

I'd take a picture for you, but I can't take 'em off my head. Here they are in a brief moment of non-listening.

I'm right there with you Chris. I love the feel and immediacy of the suede Universe pads, but the lambskin Auteur pads have a soundstage that's to die for. I can't choose. And like you say, the tubes you choose have an impact as well. A Verite Closed + tube amp is like the Lego set of headphones!

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,520 of 12,527
Pad comparison re: post above:

aWKPZnV.jpg

HNL7OUy.jpg

afLQ608.jpg

Yz22FFr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back