ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2,476 of 12,513
I'm sensitive to a little bit of shout on the VC with some of the extreme metal I listen to, so I use a very minimal EQ. It's literally a decibel added to the bass with a decibel taken off 2550, and half a decibel taken off 5750 and 8000. As small as it is it really makes a world of difference, they go from occasionally uncomfortable at the volume I like (keep in I'm talking stuff like Meshuggah here) to perfect.

That sounds like something I wanna try. Mine are still burning in, but they do seem like they would benefit from some eq. Would u mind sharing your specific settings for bass as well?

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #2,477 of 12,513
Congratulations, I'm so happy you picked up a pair, I'm looking forward to reading your impressions!

On another note, I responded to PM from another Head-Fier asking me to compare the VC and VO, and I wanted to share some of my responses here on the Thread. As I've written before, with the VC and VO in the house (Hugo2>WA5>Norne SC3-C), I'm genuinely At a place, I haven't been since I got into this crazy hobby. I have zero interest in any other headphone, I've gone from Grados, HD800, HE560, HE6se, Clear, Utopia, Abyss 1266, the combination of the VO, VC, has all of my musical bases covered.

The VO is my go-to headphone for Classical, Opera, Big Band Jazz, or any music where I prefer a slightly more open, relaxed sound, with a vast soundstage, to my ears superior to the HD800. I know those are fighting words in some corners, so a brief explanation. I find the VO’s soundstage more realistic and natural. With far better tonality, bass and imaging. Probably the closest to this combination is the Abyss, but far more user friendly, and not continually churning with new (expensive) modifications.

Wish I could “like” this 6 times.

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #2,478 of 12,513
Congratulations, I'm so happy you picked up a pair, I'm looking forward to reading your impressions!

On another note, I responded to PM from another Head-Fier asking me to compare the VC and VO, and I wanted to share some of my responses here on the Thread. As I've written before, with the VC and VO in the house (Hugo2>WA5>Norne SC3-C), I'm genuinely At a place, I haven't been since I got into this crazy hobby. I have zero interest in any other headphone, I've gone from Grados, HD800, HE560, HE6se, Clear, Utopia, Abyss 1266, the combination of the VO, VC, has all of my musical bases covered.

The VO is my go-to headphone for Classical, Opera, Big Band Jazz, or any music where I prefer a slightly more open, relaxed sound, with a vast soundstage, to my ears superior to the HD800. I know those are fighting words in some corners, so a brief explanation. I find the VO’s soundstage more realistic and natural. With far better tonality, bass and imaging. Probably the closest to this combination is the Abyss, but far more user friendly, and not continually churning with new (expensive) modifications.

The VC is by a wide margin (in my opinion ), the best headphone available for rock and jazz. The impact is an addicting attribute, listening to Ginger Baker, on any of Cream’s recordings is a spiritual event. I can't think of a better way to spend my COVID-19 quarantine! Though impact is only part of their sonic excellence, they do all this while always remaining musical, no painful treble, always remaining true to the music, a bit more upfront, on the soundstage (compared to the VO), and perhaps, sharper images on that stage. ”Tales of Brave Ulysses” (I'm on a Cream binge), Just flows, the foundation provided by Baker/Bruce, and presented with a ”clarity” for want of a better word, hearing the drum stick and the skin interacting to make music. With Clapton’s Strat soaring, all wrapped in incredible music, so much more than a trio could produce!
I'm still not sure I forgive you for selling me your Atticus for such a great price 6 months ago! :wink: Bought 3 others and have 2 others on order including the VC. And to think I fooled myself into thinking the Atticus were the last I'd buy for a while, lol.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #2,479 of 12,513
Wish I could “like” this 6 times.

Thank you, now that I've been COVID-19 ”grounded, ” I can finally get my review cranked out (procrastination @ it's worst)!

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #2,480 of 12,513
I'm still not sure I forgive you for selling me your Atticus for such a great price 6 months ago! :wink: Bought 3 others and have 2 others on order including the VC. And to think I fooled myself into thinking the Atticus were the last I'd buy for a while, lol.

I figured you’d be a fan of ZMF’s ”house sound!” The Atticus is almost like a ”gateway drug!” What do you have on order?

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #2,481 of 12,513
I'm really terrible at giving the typical audiophile descriptions. And if I'm being honest I really feel suspicious most people don't actually know what they're talking about when they try to use most of these adjectives anyway. It's just too easy to get caught up in fancy prose and not be sure what any of it means. How you hear things changes so much from day to day, with random stuff like atmospheric pressure changes, or even slight dehydration or how much serotonin you got from the carbs in your last meal. I can describe my personal experience so far though, with the caveat that this is just indulgent autobiography and not science.

Amen... I feel like every time I settle in to a listening session there's something that's altering my perception slightly. What's strange is that I don't feel like I notice this with my (limited) exposure to speakers as much?

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #2,482 of 12,513
Quick and dirty pic of what I’m working with today. Need some more time with the Element before comparing it to the RME and THX/RME stack.
AC79EAC0-E083-41D8-8B03-3C3D8BA65A31.jpeg

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,483 of 12,513
That’s the problem for my wallet and my kids. Both the VO and the VC can be keepers. Heck, my youngest daughter has already gotten on my case. There goes daddy with his $2,000 headphones and I can’t have...........???
I would rephrase to:
That’s the problem for my wallet and my kidneys :wink:

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #2,484 of 12,513
I figured you’d be a fan of ZMF’s ”house sound!” The Atticus is almost like a ”gateway drug!” What do you have on order?
An LTD VC and LTD Atticus (went for Magnesium chassis to get one as light as possible). Two wonderful things to look forward during these dark times.

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #2,485 of 12,513
i have been running in the new VC with my benchmark HPA4.
last night, decided to try it out on my WA22.
and the conclusion is, i much much much prefer the VC with my tube amp.

also, as others have mentioned, breaking in/burn in with VC is the most apparent and shows the most pronounced differences/changes over time, than i have ever experienced with any of my other headphones..

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,487 of 12,513
I would say that Zach has the dynamic lineup quite covered. We have the Verite Closed - Verite Open, the Auteur - Eikon and the Aeolus - Atticus combos. Beryllium coated for the first, Biocellulose for the second and custom TPE for the last. What remains are planar magnetic and electrostatic :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,488 of 12,513
I dont think I could handle a better sounding headphone than the VC. Its quite difficult to top perfection. :)

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #2,489 of 12,513
I think more affordable sub 1K headphones are on the todo list at some point from what I remember in a Reddit AMA. I consider this "Verite Closed - Verite Open, the Auteur - Eikon and the Aeolus - Atticus combos" the heirloom grade line... who wouldn't be proud to pass such masterpieces down the family? I'm equally excited to see more offerings in the less pricey category. I think scale is the big challenge because ZMF would mop the floor with the competition, demand would be insane. :muscle:

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,490 of 12,513
I'm now officially able to join the VC family! The Atticus, special as it is, must take a back seat to the almighty Verite Closed. What an unbelievable head-fi experience so far. While the Eikon and Atticus are beasts in certain areas, the VC is in beast mode throughout the entire frequency spectrum. It's the "one to rule them all" for sure. Probably the first thing to impress me right off the bat is the open-like headspace. And the sub-bass, wow! IMO, these are definitely worth the cost of entry. I'll take better pics a bit later. Also can't wait for my new Norne custom silver cable to arrive to further enhance the experience.

w3vWwpG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back