ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 1, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #8,986 of 12,527
I’m still 50-50 on being out and staying with speakers. Just listened to the Susvara with stock and a couple different Dekoni pads. Not impressed at all. Maybe the VC will do it for me, but I’d be more surprised if it did, than if it didn’t. I’ve never heard a close back headphone before, and so who knows. For me, the biggest obstacle is that I’m comparing everything to the TC in my mind.
Biggest question is probably... What do you actually want out of a headphone?

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #8,987 of 12,527
I’m still 50-50 on being out and staying with speakers. Just listened to the Susvara with stock and a couple different Dekoni pads. Not impressed at all. Maybe the VC will do it for me, but I’d be more surprised if it did, than if it didn’t. I’ve never heard a close back headphone before, and so who knows. For me, the biggest obstacle is that I’m comparing everything to the TC in my mind.

Why not both? :) I run headphones and two channel, digital and vinyl, it is nice to have options, especially if you have roommates / spouse / neighbors or other reasons to have a headphone setup.

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #8,989 of 12,527
Well both was the plan. I think I’m just a little burned out. Anyways, hopefully the VC works for me. It was recommended to me by quite a few people that know what I like.

I was doing fine until the the helpful member from this morning disses the Sapele for the Stabilized. :)

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #8,990 of 12,527
Well both was the plan. I think I’m just a little burned out. Anyways, hopefully the VC works for me. It was recommended to me by quite a few people that know what I like.

I was doing fine until the the helpful member from this morning disses the Sapele for the Stabilized. :)
Lol don't base your decision on any one person's opinion.

Just go for appearance. Wood type can impact weight, and maybe a very tiny bit of sonic attributes, but like others said -- pads and amp will make way more of a difference than the wood does.

I bet you'll love the appearance of your VC once you see it in person, and then from there it's all about burn-in (both the cans and your brain).

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #8,992 of 12,527

It's very easy to drown in the sea of opinions on audio forums and the resulting audio nervosa / FOMO. Ultimately all that matters is your opinion, so if you like how they sound, then who cares :)

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #8,993 of 12,527
I've been listening to my new olive vc for about two weeks and I have really grown to appreciate the way their tight powerful bass transforms all types of music. At first the staging of this hp, which puts you in the middle of the sound, threw me. But whether it is burn-in or psychoacoustic acclimation, these headphones are keepers. I just had to get used to the fact that the staging of this hp is unique. Especially good pairing with my Microzotl mz2 amplifier.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #8,995 of 12,527
As noted by another member, the chatoyance of the sapele is difficult to show on photos. About 100 hrs on my VC and sound is still improving.
79DCC4B3-5D90-42AE-851B-322C5238FE1E.jpeg

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #8,996 of 12,527
I would imagine none of the woods would be a dramatic departure from rhe ZMF VC sound. If there were, either Zach wouldn’t use it, or he would state it.

There seems to be more at play with @TheMiddleSky than his “helpful and altruistic” comments. LOL.
Will waiting for your impression after you playing more with them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #8,997 of 12,527
It's very easy to drown in the sea of opinions on audio forums and the resulting audio nervosa / FOMO. Ultimately all that matters is your opinion, so if you like how they sound, then who cares :)
Absolutely, the only thing that matters is how they sound to you...who cares what they sound like to others.
There are so many different variables when it comes to sound, it is such an objective thing. What one person says is good another says is not so good, lol.

I say that if it sounds good to you...then it's good :)

Jan 2, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #8,998 of 12,527
Absolutely, the only thing that matters is how they sound to you...who cares what they sound like to others.
There are so many different variables when it comes to sound, it is such an objective thing. What one person says is good another says is not so good, lol.

I say that if it sounds good to you...then it's good :)

I 100% agree. However with that said I’ve never heard ZMF headphones before and seeing somebody say that the ones that I got with that specific wood sounds too polite. I have no idea if that’s true or not, except that polite is definitely not what I’m looking for.

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #8,999 of 12,527
I 100% agree. However with that said I’ve never heard ZMF headphones before and seeing somebody say that the ones that I got with that specific wood sounds too polite. I have no idea if that’s true or not, except that polite is definitely not what I’m looking for.

Each person has their own opinion and their right to it, but if it were me, I would hang on to Zach's opinion that the wood has little to no effect on sound vs a forum member. Zach would actually have reason to try to claim that the more expensive stabilized wood sounds better or different as it is pricier, yet he doesn't, since it just isn't the case (plus imagine how many times he's listened to all the different wood types).

It could also simply be the case of a buyer trying to justify the higher cost of the stabilized set and wanting to think it sounds better.

It could also be the case thay if you have a predetermined opinion as to what you believe will sound better (or worse) could actually sound better to you, but only because you feel it should be so. Psychology plays a huge part in forming your opinion of sound and is why even someone's mood can make gear sound great one day then way off on the next, and why you will naturally have so many varying opinions on certain gear.

Either way, I'd suggest hanging onto Zach's opinion vs any of ours when it comes to something like how the wood might affect the sound, so that a particular comment wouldn't potentially ruin your enjoyment :)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #9,000 of 12,527
Each person has their own opinion and their right to it, but if it were me, I would hang on to Zach's opinion that the wood has little to no effect on sound vs a forum member. Zach would actually have reason to try to claim that the more expensive stabilized wood sounds better or different as it is pricier, yet he doesn't, since it just isn't the case (plus imagine how many times he's listened to all the different wood types).

It could also simply be the case of a buyer trying to justify the higher cost of the stabilized set and wanting to think it sounds better.

It could also be the case thay if you have a predetermined opinion as to what you believe will sound better (or worse) could actually sound better to you, but only because you feel it should be so. Psychology plays a huge part in forming your opinion of sound and is why even someone's mood can make gear sound great one day then way off on the next, and why you will naturally have so many varying opinions on certain gear.

Either way, I'd suggest hanging onto Zach's opinion vs any of ours :)

You’re certainly correct. Psychology plays a bigger part THAN huge. You could listen to your own system when you’re in different moods, and it will sound different.

I also feel that if a specific wood will make that big of a difference in changing the sound, Zach wouldn’t use it, or he would call it out on his website.

I was actually just irked more than anything by his less than helpful comment, and with an agenda. Trolls live everywhere. Not just the forest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back