ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #9,016 of 12,527
Hello ZMF Lovers out there 😁

I think about buying a (again) a pair of Verite Closed headphones but I don’t know if my Lotoo PAW Gold Touch has enough power for the VCs.

It outputs 500mW @ 32 Ohms.

Thanks for your help
Best
Dominik
You'll need to use the balanced output on your DAP. If you do, you'll be fine; there's about ~50mW @ 300 Ohms on the balanced output.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #9,017 of 12,527
What is everyone’s favorite pads for their VC? Just been rockin the standard Auteur pads that came with them for now and they’re great but I’m itching to try the other ones just to see how they change the sound. Currently looking like universe lamb skin might be a good option to start with but curious what everyone is rocking as their favorite pad and why?

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #9,018 of 12,527
What is everyone’s favorite pads for their VC? Just been rockin the standard Auteur pads that came with them for now and they’re great but I’m itching to try the other ones just to see how they change the sound. Currently looking like universe lamb skin might be a good option to start with but curious what everyone is rocking as their favorite pad and why?
It's hard to pick a favorite.
Auteur Lambskins have a certain magic to them and also a little weirdness to my ear. Biggest sounding pads.
Auteur Hybrids are the most balanced across the board with huge stage, good air in the treble, decent/good vocals and just enough bass.
Auteur Suedes are on the way...
Universe Lambskin are very warm and intense at the same time, very fast and great image on them but not as big sounding as the Auteurs.
BE2 Lambskins are very thin(physically), comfort takes a hit but nothing to worry about, just some issues with the stitching on mine when I put them on my head. The VC becomes very mid forward and very wide, not big but wide. Has the same diffusion of sound as if they were a open back planar.
Eikon Suedes are the most polite and calm and relaxed, treble peaks are gone, everything comes together nicely and comfort is by far the best on them.
Eikon Lambskins, it becomes apparent you are listening to a closed back headphone, very bassy and closed in. A good all around pad but not exceptional at anything. Actually I need to give these another go, I'm sure there is something more to them

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #9,019 of 12,527

I prefer the Auteur Hybrid and Lambskin pads overall because of the larger stage and more neutral tonality I find they provide for me. I like my mids and vocals and these keep them in balance while also adding more holographic and detailed imaging vs the Universe Lambskin pads to me, while keeping the awesome bass intact.

On brighter sources I'll go with Auteur Hybrid as I find it tames the highs a tad bit, though it also comes with a slight loss of low end impact while keeping its great extension and detail.

On warmer sources I'll go with the Auteur Lambskin as the extra treble extension doesn't become harsh to me while adding extra air and detail.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #9,021 of 12,527
Auteur Lambskins have a certain magic to them and also a little weirdness to my ear. Biggest sounding pads.
Auteur Hybrids are the most balanced across the board with huge stage, good air in the treble, decent/good vocals and just enough bass.
Universe Lambskin are very warm and intense at the same time, very fast and great image on them but not as big sounding as the Auteurs.
BE2 Lambskins are very thin(physically), comfort takes a hit but nothing to worry about, just some issues with the stitching on mine when I put them on my head. The VC becomes very mid forward and very wide, not big but wide. Has the same diffusion of sound as if they were a open back planar.
Eikon Suedes are the most polite and calm and relaxed, treble peaks are gone, everything comes together nicely and comfort is by far the best on them.
Eikon Lambskins, it becomes apparent you are listening to a closed back headphone, very bassy and closed in. A good all around pad but not exceptional at anything. Actually I need to give these another go, I'm sure there is something more to them
Interesting and helpful, though it's striking how there's basically little uniformity in the various descriptions of how pads modify the tuning. I think it must come down in large to different set-ups, etc.

It'll be fascinating to see the pad graphs from @zach915m

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #9,022 of 12,527
Also, is it me, or does hardly anyone use the Verite pads? I find them the most tonally balanced of the whole set.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #9,025 of 12,527
Interesting and helpful, though it's striking how there's basically little uniformity in the various descriptions of how pads modify the tuning. I think the must come down in large to different set-ups, etc.
Don't forget ear shape/size! Anatomy plays a role as well.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #9,026 of 12,527
It's a good test indeed for all of us....!

Curious you describe BE2 as mid-forward because I'd say they're the most mid linear (and I am super sensitive to mid forwardness so always veer toward flat mids, which I feel the BE2 offers).
It's the most vocal present pad of all I tested so far or maybe it's because of the driver is right next to my ear, the 3k dip doesn't feel like a dip anymore.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #9,027 of 12,527
It's the most vocal present pad of all I tested so far or maybe it's because of the driver is right next to my ear, the 3k dip doesn't feel like a dip anymore.
That makes sense. I guess because the mid-range is so broad, probably some sense of whether we're talking about lower mids or upper mids is helpful.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #9,028 of 12,527
Interesting and helpful, though it's striking how there's basically little uniformity in the various descriptions of how pads modify the tuning. I think it must come down in large to different set-ups, etc.

It'll be fascinating to see the pad graphs from @zach915m
The entire chain makes a large difference. The amp, tubes used, DAC, tubes used in DAC if applicable, source, quality of power, RCA/USB/power/headphone cables. They all add in their own unique flavor to the equation. Factor in head shape,ear shape, hearing differences and that can explain the wildly varying reports of how each pad impacts the sound.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #9,029 of 12,527
Factor in head shape,ear shape, hearing differences and that can explain the wildly varying reports of how each pad impacts the sound.

Don't forget current outfit, hair style, after shave, weather forecast, last three meals, zodiac sign, and active chakras :)

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #9,030 of 12,527
Don't forget current outfit, hair style, after shave, weather forecast, last three meals, zodiac sign, and active chakras :)

Ugh I just can’t listen to my VC’s when Mercury is in retrograde :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back