ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 4, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #9,046 of 12,586
Anyone know why in the pad guide, the VC Lambskin is the only instance where Auteur pads are listed as being brighter than Universe pads? For Auteurs, Universe pads are listed as brighter regardless of material. For Eikons, the only comparison given is suede (universe again brighter than Auteur). But for the VC, in lambskin, the Auteur is brighter than the Universe; and then when you switch to suede they go back to "normal."

PadGuide_VC.jpg

PadGuide_Auteur.jpg
Different headphone acoustic designs take the pads in different directions. I'll try to cover this a little when we release measurements as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #9,047 of 12,586
if you're not powering planars, and want a quiet high end amp, two models come to mind that are incredibly good with the VC. First is the Decware CSP2 or CSP3. They don't come along used often but if you see one, grab it, it's good. The second amp that comes to mind is the Kenzie by Ampsandsound. It's Justin's quietest amp, and is an excellent match with ZMFs. I doubt you'll see one for cheap, but if any used DNA amps come up, also killer amps. I had a used Sonett 1 and it was really nice. Dead quiet with a nice tonality.

If you're looking at cheaper options i'd strongly recommend the Feliks Echo (either gen works fine). I have an Echo MK2 at work and it's excellent with my ZMFs and Focals. Very quiet, and sounds really sweet and euphonic. Not in the same performance category as Decware, Ampsandsound, or DNA, but at many times less the price, you can't complain.

Tubes can be a pain in the butt, but once you get used to them, it can be hard to go back to solid state. completely preference driven of course. i resisted tubes for years but once i took the plunge, i stopped using solid state.

Would you put DNA in the same performance category as ampsandsound or decware ?

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #9,048 of 12,586
More like a category above. Especially if you're talking about a Stratus or Stellaris.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #9,049 of 12,586
Different pads could help - but usually after changing sources to a higher impedance or OTL source the mids will come forward. If you're already using an OTL than yeah the BE2 pads are worth a try, or suede Universe if you're using auteur pads. Universe pads do have more forward mids than the auteur pads in general and suede pads even more-so.
BE2 pads did the job!

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #9,050 of 12,586
Anyone know why in the pad guide, the VC Lambskin is the only instance where Auteur pads are listed as being brighter than Universe pads? For Auteurs, Universe pads are listed as brighter regardless of material. For Eikons, the only comparison given is suede (universe again brighter than Auteur). But for the VC, in lambskin, the Auteur is brighter than the Universe; and then when you switch to suede they go back to "normal."

PadGuide_VC.jpg

PadGuide_Auteur.jpg
As Zach said, the headphone acoustics are different. There are some measurements of this already on another site comparing aeolus and VO showing that the "pad EQ" (what the pad is changing FR wise) is not the same on each headphone. The same pad can actually have wildly different "pad EQs" for different headphone models. Measurements from the other site below.

Verite Measurements
index.php

Aeolus Measurements
index.php

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #9,051 of 12,586
I only have hands on experience with the Sonett which I'd say is the same general level. The newer models I can't comment on. I have a Stratus on order so I'll get back to you in 10 months hahaha. Ugh that wait is torture...

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #9,052 of 12,586
I only have hands on experience with the Sonett which I'd say is the same general level. The newer models I can't comment on. I have a Stratus on order so I'll get back to you in 10 months hahaha. Ugh that wait is torture...
My wait time is also10 months for the Stratus.

Jan 5, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #9,054 of 12,586
I am jealous of your guys. Currently have Sonnet 2 and it plays beautifully with my ZMF heaphones (Auteur, Eikon, Aeolus)
I haven't heard the Sonnet 2 but i did love my Sonnet 1, it sounded great. Tubes and ZMF go together so well. since going from solid state to tubes i just can't go back now.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #9,058 of 12,586
Right out of the box -- "Whoa, very nice."

After warming up in the house and playing continuously for an hour "oh wow, okay, I see why @Monsterzero loves these for metal and rock."

Within the first 10 minutes, the bass seemed a bit too polite. I'm already noticing a difference here. The Veritè is known to really benefit with break-in.

Also, the VC Blackwood seems very fast. Like, "this isn't even a closed back" kind of fast.

With the default Auteur pads on, the music sounds "accurate" and detailed -- I keep thinking this is how it's meant to be heard.

I'll post more after more time with them. I'm excited to see where they're at after more time and pad swapping.

Are Universe Lambskin solids the generally preferred pads for EDM and Electronica?

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #9,059 of 12,586
Are Universe Lambskin solids the generally preferred pads for EDM and Electronica?
I use the default Auteur pads for all genres. Yes you might lose some slam vs. the Universe pads, but the added staging of the auteur pads is mindblowingly great with trance. Sounds coming at you from all directions.

Its like a sober hallucinogenic experience.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #9,060 of 12,586
I agree with both impressions here, but at the moment I prefer the Universe Lambs for the added slam that I feel that comes from the ears being closer to the driver (I think).

The Auteur Lambs were definitely something else when I was listening to orchestral recordings. Kinda blows you away in the way that it almost doesn't sound like you're listening to a closed-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back