ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #8,941 of 12,586
Thanks, guys.

Normally I wouldn’t mind trying different amps. Actually I was almost about to pull the trigger on the Nirvana. However, I’m at the point right now where I sold a lot of components and I was ready to basically throw in the towel after I sold the TC just concentrate on my two channel speaker system. However I thought that if I could find one headphone that was very musical and fun to listen to, and not analytical or clinical at all, where I’m not thinking about does this sound right or does that sound right, then I would look for another pair of headphones.

I never thought of the VC, or ZMF at all, but someone mentioned that would be a good option. The other option is the Susvara with my speaker amp. I thought about the Diana V2, but I’m not so sure about that. I also thought about the Empyrean, which I owned a long time ago, but I don’t want to go down that fuzzy road again. I don’t want to experiment with the Elite either.

So the bottom line is that I’m in a bit of a quandary.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #8,942 of 12,586
Thanks, guys.

Normally I wouldn’t mind trying different amps. Actually I was almost about to pull the trigger on the Nirvana. However, I’m at the point right now where I sold a lot of components and I was ready to basically throw in the towel after I sold the TC just concentrate on my two channel speaker system. However I thought that if I could find one headphone that was very musical and fun to listen to, and not analytical or clinical at all, where I’m not thinking about does this sound right or does that sound right, then I would look for another pair of headphones.

I never thought of the VC, or ZMF at all, but someone mentioned that would be a good option. The other option is the Susvara with my speaker amp. I thought about the Diana V2, but I’m not so sure about that. I also thought about the Empyrean, which I owned a long time ago, but I don’t want to go down that fuzzy road again. I don’t want to experiment with the Elite either.

If you’re looking for simplify in amping I’m not sure Susvara would be my first choice..:wink: that said, definitely would work off speaker amps afaik

I’ve found the VC to be both high resolving and fun and relaxing to listen to. I think it hits your mark very well.

As to the Nirvana. We’ll, if you’re looking to simplify, that’s a beast that’s more than a small add on, so priorities and all. But I recently got it and absolutely love it (see head-fi Nirvana channel which has lots of info), and can confirm it pairs beautifully with the VC (as well as with many other great dynamic and planar headphones).

But for simplicity, just get the VC and use it with your 281. It’s a no brained and a super easy decision.

FWIW, Zach advises wood choice isn’t impacting sound a lot so just go for esthetics. You can easily tube with pads later (if u want, don’t need).

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #8,943 of 12,586
Thanks, guys.

Well needless to say, I think the VCs will meet your criteria. If you do pull the trigger, I’d recommend getting BE2, Universe, and Auteur pads. Those three pads will give you almost 3 headphones for the price of one as the pad rolling results in very different takes while still maintaining musicality.

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #8,944 of 12,586
I’m sure a new amp would be on the horizon at some point. It always is. 😃

If I was looking towards the Susvara, my speaker would for the bill. It did with the TC. I just don’t know if the Susvara is too soft sounding for classic rock music. Of course, I’ve never heard and and this is a preconceived notion.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Camphor Burl VC. I know of a one year old one with magnesium frame.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #8,945 of 12,586
I’m sure a new amp would be on the horizon at some point. It always is. 😃

If I was looking towards the Susvara, my speaker would for the bill. It did with the TC. I just don’t know if the Susvara is too soft sounding for classic rock music. Of course, I’ve never heard and and this is a preconceived notion.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Camphor Burl VC. I know of a one year old one with magnesium frame.
Love mine. But don't have any context with other wood / pad types. Have used my VC Camphor Burls on three different amps, and each time they always sounded great in comparison to any previous headphones. The VC have so much more depth, energy, and clarity; and don't fatigue me after hours of listening.

Still delighted with a recent upgrade from SS to tube amplification - these VC's are dramatically better now.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #8,946 of 12,586
There are better headphones for classic rock than the Susvara. Susvara is too much of a compromise for its price IMO. It's not the best all-rounder, nor is it the best at genres like classical (I'd go for an e-stat). It's still a great headphone, but it's difficult for me to justify is all I'm trying to say. At least the 1266 TC has crazy cool bass, even if that means its mid range is compromised... you know you're getting the best of something for the money.

ZMF, imo, has nailed the tuning for the music lover. Susvara may be more detailed, which is cool, but when I went to just get lost in the music after a long day, I'd go VC or VO.

The Veritè is technical enough to satisfy an audiophile while also being natural and fun enough satisfy the music lover.

I don't think you'd regret it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #8,947 of 12,586
Love mine. But don't have any context with other wood / pad types. Have used my VC Camphor Burls on three different amps, and each time they always sounded great in comparison to any previous headphones. The VC have so much more depth, energy, and clarity; and don't fatigue me after hours of listening.

Still delighted with a recent upgrade from SS to tube amplification - these VC's are dramatically better now.

I assume you mean they are better now with tubes?

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #8,949 of 12,586
Does anyone know if ZMF has stock on thr VC? It says in stock on the website, but I don’t know if that is updated.
That just means they are available in that wood type currently. They aren't sitting on a shelf ready to ship out or anything. All his headphones are made to order with your rod and grill options. Not sure what the current lead time is, but part of the fun is the agonizing wait for your headphones to come in. It makes their arrival that much sweeter!

If you want to know exactly what your ZMF headphone is going to look like before buying it, you’ll have to either go with a used set or wait for the B-Stocks during the ZMF November sale.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #8,950 of 12,586
Be aware that when purchased new from ZMF, all of their headphones have a lifetime warranty on drivers. However that warranty doesn't carry over on a used pair.
Just something to think about.
Many owners, including myself, feel all of the ZMF dynamic headphones sound their best thru an OTL amp. There's something about those 2nd order harmonics that sound magical on ZMF headphones, which cannot be duplicated on most modern solid state amps.

That being said, of all of the ZMF headphones that Ive owned (never owned the Eikon), the VC sounds the best via SS amping.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #8,951 of 12,586
Sorry, yes. Went from solid state Jotunheim, which sounded fine. But when I upgraded with the DNA Starlett -- whoa a huge improvement. Now re-thinking my 2-channel speaker system except that would mean replacing everything.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #8,952 of 12,586
That just means they are available in that wood type currently. They aren't sitting on a shelf ready to ship out or anything. All his headphones are made to order with your rod and grill options. Not sure what the current lead time is, but part of the fun is the agonizing wait for your headphones to come in. It makes their arrival that much sweeter!

If you want to know exactly what your ZMF headphone is going to look like before buying it, you’ll have to either go with a used set or wait for the B-Stocks during the ZMF November sale.
You're so right. Good things come to those who wait, right? with the VC last year (which took several months); and the DNA this year (which took twice as long) -- Both so worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #8,955 of 12,586
Thanks, guys.

Btw, is the Nirvana amp an OTL amp?
No, the Nirvana is transformer coupled. It outputs a whooping 6.5 watt into all impedances (setting from 32 to 600 ohms). I have it and it pairs amazingly well with the VC, as well as my other dynamic and planar headphones. It’s quiet, powerful, and outstanding overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back