ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #8,926 of 12,527
I really like the new crescent band, more comfortable than the old leather one.
vc1.jpg

vc2.jpg

vc3.jpg

Happy new year everyone!

I’m a little confused by the new crescent band. I got one of the new Aeolus limited last week, it seems to have the same new band I see in your picture, which I guess is the same new one. My VC limited from 3 months ago has the older version. But both have that thin leather strap below the headband, which makes the headband material inconsequential since the thin leather strap is what you feel on your head? If so, how does a more padded head band that doesn’t come into direct contact with the head matter?

I’ve used the co-pilot with the VC (comfortable) and considering doing the same with the new Aeolus, unless I’m missing the point.. am I? :)

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #8,927 of 12,527
Any updates on getting measurements of the varying pads? I vaguely remember this being mentioned in the past, would be great to have as a guide.
I have the measurements page just about done, I will accompany with a video and have it up some time in January! Measurements and QC for shipping have taken precident lately, but it is almost there!
I really like the new crescent band, more comfortable than the old leather one.

I’m a little confused by the new crescent band. I got one of the new Aeolus limited last week, it seems to have the same new band I see in your picture, which I guess is the same new one. My VC limited from 3 months ago has the older version. But both have that thin leather strap below the headband, which makes the headband material inconsequential since the thin leather strap is what you feel on your head? If so, how does a more padded head band that doesn’t come into direct contact with the head matter?

I’ve used the co-pilot with the VC (comfortable) and considering doing the same with the new Aeolus, unless I’m missing the point.. am I? :)
The crescent band has different sized foam so that there a touch more pressure on the outside of the head and less pressure on top. The new steel has a different shape and length so that the leather crescent band touches the head more. This may differ depending on head size and shape for sure. We will have the video and availability for these on the site soon as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #8,928 of 12,527
I have the measurements page just about done, I will accompany with a video and have it up some time in January! Measurements and QC for shipping have taken precident lately, but it is almost there!

The crescent band has different sized foam so that there a touch more pressure on the outside of the head and less pressure on top. The new steel has a different shape and length so that the leather crescent band touches the head more. This may differ depending on head size and shape for sure. We will have the video and availability for these on the site soon as well.
Curious if there will be a suede crescent band available once you start selling them separately.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #8,929 of 12,527
Curious if there will be a suede crescent band available once you start selling them separately.
Yep! We've got suede!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #8,930 of 12,527

Cool, thanks @zach915m !

Does new Aeolus I got last week (from limited batch u just shipped) have the new crescent band?

Looked a little different than the VC band I got 3 months ago, but didn’t know if that was that…

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #8,931 of 12,527
anybody know which pad roll will bring the vocals more forward? that is literally my only nitpick about the verite closed that the vocals are a bit too pulled back. Coming from the Auteur Im used to vocals being more present.
Just got my BE2 pads. I can confirm the vocals come forward. Comfort takes a hit but nothing to worry about

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #8,932 of 12,527
I’m new to looking at this thread as I just sold my Abyss 1266 TC headphones and I’m for another headphone. The VC looks interesting.

Am I correct in assuming there’s a long lead time in ordering these, and no stock?

Have there been any production changes over the last year or so in terms of sound?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #8,933 of 12,527
I’m new to looking at this thread as I just sold my Abyss 1266 TC headphones and I’m for another headphone. The VC looks interesting.

Am I correct in assuming there’s a long lead time in ordering these, and no stock?

Have there been any production changes over the last year or so in terms of sound?

Thanks in advance.
I will let other more recent purchasers comment on lead times. When I ordered mine in 2020 it look ~4-6 weeks. Regarding sound, outside of cyclical wood changes (and limited editions) which impart very slight decay changes, general sound signature is unchanged. My advice would be to pick the materials based on weight and aesthetic preference. The pad choice(s) makes more impact on sound than the wood.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #8,934 of 12,527
I will let other more recent purchasers comment on lead times. When I ordered mine in 2020 it look ~4-6 weeks. Regarding sound, outside of cyclical wood changes (and limited editions) which impart very slight decay changes, general sound signature is unchanged. My advice would be to pick the materials based on weight and aesthetic preference. The pad choice(s) makes more impact on sound than the wood.

Thanks. I assume the pads can always be purchased master if I decided to experiment?

Do solid state amps work well, or just tube amps with the VC? I used a violectric V281 and Simaudio speaker amp with adapter for my 1266 TC.

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #8,935 of 12,527
Thanks. I assume the pads can always be purchased master if I decided to experiment?

Do solid state amps work well, or just tube amps with the VC? I used a violectric V281 and Simaudio speaker amp with adapter for my 1266 TC.
Both sound great!

Most folks (myself included) find tube amp to have great synergies, but I’ve used the VC with both tube (Auris Nirvana) and solid state (Bricasti M3h, and previously Mytek Brooklyn Bridge), and they sound outstanding on all of them.

In short, you will not need to get a new amp to enjoy the VC (though you may not resist the urge to eventually tinker around, as we all do:wink:

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #8,936 of 12,527
Both sound great!

Most folks (myself included) find tube amp to have great synergies, but I’ve used the VC with both tube (Auris Nirvana) and solid state (Bricasti M3h, and previously Mytek Brooklyn Bridge), and they sound outstanding on all of them.

In short, you will not need to get a new amp to enjoy the VC (though you may not resist the urge to eventually tinker around, as we all do:wink:

I found it all comes down to personal taste. I’ve had more amps (solid state and tube), than you can shake a stick at, and I still come back to the V281. Is there any reason why you feel this would not work well with the VC? Certainly has plenty of power.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #8,937 of 12,527
I found it all comes down to personal taste. I’ve had more amps (solid state and tube), than you can shake a stick at, and I still come back to the V281. Is there any reason why you feel this would not work well with the VC? Certainly has plenty of power.
None whatsoever - I’m certain it will work very well with the 281!

Not sure if I was unclear, if so sorry, I meant to say the VC works very well with both tube and solid state amps - and that two solid state amps I’ve used it with were excellent with the VC.

This headphone is not amp picky and sounds great on anything I put it on.

That said, my personal preference is to pair it with tube amp. But it is absolutely not required to benefit from it!!!

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #8,938 of 12,527
None whatsoever - I’m certain it will work very well with the 281!

Not sure if I was unclear, if so sorry, I meant to say the VC works very well with both tube and solid state amps - and that two solid state amps I’ve used it with were excellent with the VC.

This headphone is not amp picky and sounds great on anything I put it on.

That said, my personal preference is to pair it with tube amp. But it is absolutely not required to benefit from it!!!
I concur. Not amp picky. I’ve had excellent results with Chord Anni and Flux FA-22 SS amps as well as with a Tor Audio tube amp driving VCs.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #8,939 of 12,527
Well I would say my olive VC benefits greatly by an OTL tube amp. Low dampening factor and the sweet tube Sound just synergize amazingly with any ZMF that I own.

On my SS amp the VC sounds very dampened. The lovely cup reverbs are gone for the most part and with it the soul of the wooden ZMF headphone sound.

But you will only notice that if you can A/B.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,940 of 12,527

Thanks in advance.
oh man, never thought before you will sell ab1266!

I don't think ZMF ever change the sound tuning, however if you critical listener, you can't avoid the fact that different wood = different acoustic room, thus will impact the sound. So each of ZMF VC may sound slight different one to each other depend on the wood.

Luckily there is rolling pad option to fine tuning sound character.

Btw, your amp selection are totally fine with VC. Coming from AB1266, to pick amp for VC is much easier and way less troublesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back