ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #5,806 of 12,469
I have all the suede solids and while the Eikon pads definitely increase the bass, it's to the detriment of everything else. They also lose the more ethereal experience of the Universe suedes, which are my favorites and create some of the magic of these headphones for me. I like the BE-2, but they also make them lose some of that magic. The Universe suedes are really the Goldilocks pads for me.
Thanks for this :) I Modified my pad options for the order. May have to order an extra pair of universe suedes.

I actually have BE-2 hybrids which I ordered for testing with Aeolus. Those made Aeolus sound very weird but maybe I'll try those also with VC. Not expecting too much as those were on a loan with one Verite C owner who said the same that they made VC sound weird. I understand that those are meant primarily for Verite open.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5,807 of 12,469
The Rods are actually never magnesium - so the black rods are aluminum anodized always, and the others are the raw materials.

Gentle reminder - watch our clickies adjusting video:

Also please don't adjust the screw in the uprights (ball end plunger) we set it in the workshop for the correct tension for the type of adjustment done in the video.

Thank you for providing that correction, for that incorrect information that I previously had stated.

Additionally, thank you for providing that video for us, regarding the "proper way" for adjusting the rods.

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,808 of 12,469
Which pads give the most open sound stage?
I haven't tried them all but, out of the two sets of pads supplied, I preferred the Universe pair. However, these sometimes gave a slightly harsh treble, so I bought the Hybrids and they have been just perfect - couldn't imagine getting a better sound out of the VCs tbh.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,809 of 12,469
I have figured out a really good transportable solution that makes my Verite Closed sound fantastic while on the road.

First, you need to have the right case and headphone stand. The wonderful box that the VC comes in is a bit too large for travelling

This case I originally bought for my HD800S headphones. But, the VC fit nicely into them and into the suit case. Put an extra set of pads and the cable in it and it fits snugly and well protected. I bring my Universe Suede and Leather pads. 10ft OFC cable really works well for travel because you are tethered, but you can move around.

https://www.amazon.com/HippoCase-He...=1&keywords=hd800s+case&qid=1619647955&sr=8-5

I used to carry a full size stand, but a Salire it too large for travel. This works well because it's small and can be used on any table. You can also put any IEMs on it that you may travel with.

https://www.amazon.com/Suspension-Headphone-Adjustable-Universal-Headphones/dp/B07ZG1QFBZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1IGG9V6GILOMX&dchild=1&keywords=adv+headphone+hanger&qid=1619648241&sprefix=adv+headpho,aps,161&sr=8-3

Now, what is my chain?

Laptop running Tidal app > Chord Hugo 2 via USB > Cayin C9 RCA to 3.5, Pre-amp in, Tube timbre > ZMF Verite Closed with 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm Balanced.

This is a glorious sound in a completely transportable system. The C9 is a hybrid amp, but it delivers very nice power and decent tube sound that works very well with the VC.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #5,810 of 12,469
Has/can anyone compare the LCD-2Closed and the Verite Closed? I currently have the LCD-2Closed and am considering moving to the Verite Closed...Any impressions between the two? I will be driving it with IFI Pro iDSD-> Pro Ican.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #5,812 of 12,469
I actually have BE-2 hybrids which I ordered for testing with Aeolus. Those made Aeolus sound very weird but maybe I'll try those also with VC.
Are the pads you have perforated? If not that would explain why it made the Aeolus sound weird.

Zach tuned his headphones to go with a specific type of pads, namely perforated for open and solid (non-perforated) for closed backs.

If they're not perforated, then they might be a good fit for the VC, but they generally won't sound good on both.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #5,813 of 12,469
any genre that the VCs are not good for? I listen to rock/pop/classical/jazz/metal but not EDM and the like (although you never know).
Ive tried pretty much every genre known to man, and a few that aren't, and the VC rocks 'em all.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #5,818 of 12,469
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #5,819 of 12,469
The Verites Closed are up to 100 hours and the Wywires Platinum headphone cables are almost at 200 hours. What an amazing combo. I will have my graphen impreg mad scientist cables back in a couple weeks from NZ and can do direct comparisons, but I don't think the mad sci's are going to be the cable of choice anymore. Had an interesting convo with Alex at Wywires yesterday and also today. He uses extremely expensive very fine copper litz wire in different configurations. He maintains that is the key to the sound of his wires. They pretty much beat the Mad Sci's in every parameter except maybe absolute liquidity but even in that regard they are very close and the Platinums still need more burn in. I am going off of My Auteurs performance with them since I have not heard My Verite Closed with that wire. Remember too, a shameless plug for Alex, the Wywires are 40% off right now. Worth every penny! The most immediate thing you notice about the Wywires is Dynamics, Bass, PRAT, Very large staging and very low noise floor. Then you after a few hours start hearing all the other things. I have yet to hear a cable that does these initial things nearly as well. I am seriously thinking about a Platinum USB cable based on what these are doing. The Verite Closed Leopardwoods are blowing my Mind. What is really fun is how this combination just plane slams and whacks while still being absolutely refined and subtle, midrange tonality and overall harmonics with the Auteur Hybrid pads is close but not quite Auteur Blackwoods, but these are so much more fun and impressive. On live Rock stuff they just plain kick ASS!. Pyromania has never sounded this good before, when I go tripping back to high school listening sessions. The drums and guitars growl and whine like nothing I have previously heard. Even my ridiculously good highend speaker system of many years ago
was not as satisfying. Trying to convince Zach he should play with some Wywires to really hear what the Verite Closed can do.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_125803.jpg
    IMG_20210419_125803.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back