ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,791 of 12,524
Placed an order to a finnish dealer for a Verite Closed Olive today. That wood looks so good that couldn't pass on an order anymore :)

I was just wondering about pads. I chose Eikon Suedes for secondary pads but started to question myself. I prefer perforated suedes for Atticus and Aeolus and was looking something similar for Verite C. I wouldn't want to lose any bass impact but to probably calm down upper mids and treble a bit so any suggestions for a good pair of pads for that?

edit. actually my Aeolus probably has perforated suedes but Atticus just those plain suedes..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #5,792 of 12,524
Placed an order to a finnish dealer for a Verite Closed Olive today. That wood looks so good that couldn't pass on an order anymore :)

I was just wondering about pads. I chose Eikon Suedes for secondary pads but started to question myself. I prefer perforated suedes for Atticus and Aeolus and was looking something similar for Verite C. I wouldn't want to lose any bass impact but to probably calm down upper mids and treble a bit so any suggestions for a good pair of pads for that?

edit. actually my Aeolus probably has perforated suedes but Atticus just those plain suedes..
I have all the suede solids and while the Eikon pads definitely increase the bass, it's to the detriment of everything else. They also lose the more ethereal experience of the Universe suedes, which are my favorites and create some of the magic of these headphones for me. I like the BE-2, but they also make them lose some of that magic. The Universe suedes are really the Goldilocks pads for me.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5,793 of 12,524
I dont suppose any happy ZMF owners have a pic of their copper rods displaying some patina?
I'm having a tough time choosing rod color for Olive Wood. Going with magnesium gray furniture. I don't want black rods especially now that I've seen some pics suggesting the black wears off and exposes the steel.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #5,794 of 12,524
I dont suppose any happy ZMF owners have a pic of their copper rods displaying some patina?
I'm having a tough time choosing rod color for Olive Wood. Going with magnesium gray furniture. I don't want black rods especially now that I've seen some pics suggesting the black wears off and exposes the steel.
With charcoal hardware I suggest the steel rods

PYHnASE.jpg

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #5,795 of 12,524
I would believe that those pictures that you previously had seen, that had showed damage for those black rods, probably would have been for the magnesium rods.

I believe that those black magnesium rods would be painted, which would be the reason that they are able to receive damage for the surface that easily.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #5,796 of 12,524
With charcoal hardware I suggest the steel rods

PYHnASE.jpg
Agreed. That is my default thinking. But wasn't sure how other combos might look, when paired with Olive Wood.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #5,797 of 12,524
I haven't seen any ZMF's with striking green patina yet, but my guess is that it will be some time before we see that. For copper to change color to green it can take years (if not decades). See here and here for more info on how long it it takes, and here for the benefits/downsides of letting it happen.
1619567973397.png

I've had my VC with copper rods for ~4 months and just noticed the rods are not the crisp bright orange they were when I first got them. It's kind of hard to see in the pics, but they started to dull ever so slightly and have more of a dark brown look. I'm planning to let the patina process happen naturally... personally I think it will give them even more character!

End of January:
2021-02-02 12.35.48.jpg

Today:

2021-04-27 16.24.59.jpg

Future??
1619567177320.png

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #5,798 of 12,524
I haven't seen any ZMF's with striking green patina yet, but my guess is that it will be some time before we see that. For copper to change color to green it can take years (if not decades). See here and here for more info on how long it it takes, and here for the benefits/downsides of letting it happen.
1619567973397.png

I've had my VC with copper rods for ~4 months and just noticed the rods are not the crisp bright orange they were when I first got them. It's kind of hard to see in the pics, but they started to dull ever so slightly and have more of a dark brown look. I'm planning to let the patina process happen naturally... personally I think it will give them even more character!

End of January:
2021-02-02 12.35.48.jpg

Today:

2021-04-27 16.24.59.jpg

Future??
1619567177320.png
Post of the day, for sure! Thanks @raindownthunda

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #5,799 of 12,524
1619567973397.png

End of January:
2021-02-02 12.35.48.jpg

Today:

2021-04-27 16.24.59.jpg

Future??
1619567177320.png
I'm in the dry desert of Arizona and my copper is still shiny after a year and a half. It probably depends a lot on the humidity where you live.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #5,800 of 12,524
Agreed. That is my default thinking. But wasn't sure how other combos might look, when paired with Olive Wood.

My feeling is that you first have to decide if you want to highlight the wood or complement the wood. If highlighting the wood then I would choose all black everything so that nothing distracts your eyes from the wood itself. The strap and hardware are the backdrop. If complementing the wood then the rod color should complement the wood color. For me I chose brass rods because I think they work well with the golden yellow of the olive wood. Then I choose a chassis color to complement the rods. Brass is yellow. Of course black is a natural choice, but charcoal gray is more complementary in my opinion. Finally, i think the suede headband works really well with the charcoal because of how the light reflects off of the fabric. It can actually look dark gray at times. Of course this is all just my opinion and YMMV.

Brass rods with black hardware and leather headband:

1619582880496.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5,801 of 12,524
I would believe that those pictures that you previously had seen, that had showed damage for those black rods, probably would have been for the magnesium rods.

I believe that those black magnesium rods would be painted, which would be the reason that they are able to receive damage for the surface that easily.
The Rods are actually never magnesium - so the black rods are aluminum anodized always, and the others are the raw materials.

Gentle reminder - watch our clickies adjusting video:

Also please don't adjust the screw in the uprights (ball end plunger) we set it in the workshop for the correct tension for the type of adjustment done in the video.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #5,803 of 12,524

End of January:

Today:

Future??
Love this post! I was just admiring the colors of the wood, and it seems the more the copper ages the more it will probably match up with the colors of the wood. Really cool pair, and great choice of rods!

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5,804 of 12,524
As far as rods for the VC, I had some scratched up black rods, and ended up switching them out with the stainless. I like how the stainless is gonna stay the same, and will always match up with the stainless sockets and cable hardware. I do have another fresh set of black anodized rods thanks to Zach which are definitely lighter in weight, but I am happy with the stainless for now. Pretty cool to have options to customize your ZMF's, as we all have different taste!

20210409_165216.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #5,805 of 12,524
As far as rods for the VC, I had some scratched up black rods, and ended up switching them out with the stainless. I like how the stainless is gonna stay the same, and will always match up with the stainless sockets and cable hardware. I do have another fresh set of black anodized rods thanks to Zach which are definitely lighter in weight, but I am happy with the stainless for now. Pretty cool to have options to customize your ZMF's, as we all have different taste!

I had the same thought when all the rod talk came up. SS would above and below the cup looks nice. Will have to order a set when I order pads.

For those ordering some olives, here's a photo comparison. My photo is in low light with an iphone.

IMG_0518.jpeg

DSC05535_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back