ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #4,966 of 12,524
I finally tried out the Auteur Suede pads as my 5th and last pair in my pad rolling exercise. I didn't like them very much. It made the sound too smooth and it made it sound like I lost a lot of resolution and detail because of it. I then switched to the Auteur lambskin and the transients are so much better with these pads than the suedes. Much crisper sound. I am now pairing my VC with my Hugo 2 and the Auteur lambskin. I applied the AutoEQ ZMF VC Auteur lambskin parametric EQ and this combination works perfectly for Jazz and Classical music. I mentioned earlier that doing this EQ made my HD800S and VC sound very similar. I prefer a more neutral and transparent sound signature for these genres of music and this delivers it. Since the headphones are tuned to the same FR curve, the differences in the technical capabilities of the headphones shine through. I would say that this sound has fuller body than the HD800S while maintain a nice soundstage and the transparency and clarity you want with Classical music. The bass and mids are a lot better with the VC in this set up as well. More natural sounding timbre.

My two favorite pads are Universe Suede for Pop music and anything not Classical music or Jazz with my Bottlehead Crack and Bifrost 2, no EQ. Auteur Lambskin for classical music and Jazz with Hugo 2 and Parametric EQ.

Edited to note: I forgot to mention that my key test for tonal balance is when I turn the volume low. If it still sounds great at 2-3 volume, then the tonal balance is there. This is exactly what is going on right now with my VC, Hugo 2 and Auteur Lambskin pads and EQ. This sounds so good I can listen to it all day long at low volumes to preserve my hearing.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4,967 of 12,524
I just received my WyWires platinum cable today and look forward to hearing how it sounds with the VC. I have been using the ZMF Lektrik S 4 Strand which I purchased with the headphones and have enjoyed it very much. WyWires 40% off sale made it a hard deal to pass up.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,968 of 12,524
In my experience, hybrid pads have very little effect on sound quality when compared with lambskin. I think they make sense if you find suede more comfortable for the contact surface, but I personally prefer all lambskin pads.

My preference with the VC is the Auteur pads. On my head they have an increased soundstage with music coming from all over the place, along with deeper sub-bass. They are more comfortable for me as well.

Universe pads bring more sheer impact from the bass, the mids are more prominent and the soundstage is smaller but better defined.

I'd say I use the Auteur pads 85% of the time, but now and then I'll swap in the Universe for a week or two. Both sound presentations are truly excellent.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #4,969 of 12,524
In my experience, hybrid pads have very little effect on sound quality when compared with lambskin. I think they make sense if you find suede more comfortable for the contact surface, but I personally prefer all lambskin pads.

My preference with the VC is the Auteur pads. On my head they have an increased soundstage with music coming from all over the place, along with deeper sub-bass. They are more comfortable for me as well.

Universe pads bring more sheer impact from the bass, the mids are more prominent and the soundstage is smaller but better defined.

I'd say I use the Auteur pads 85% of the time, but now and then I'll swap in the Universe for a week or two. Both sound presentations are truly excellent.
I resonate with this post. I didn't even purchase any hybrid pads. But, I will most likely listen with the Universe suede pads the majority of the time because I split listening time with my HD800S which overlaps in strengths with the VC and Auteur Leather pads. They are still different and enjoyable, but not as much of a difference as HD800S with VC Universe Lambskin. Pretty much opposite ends of the listening spectrum

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,970 of 12,524
Neptunia has shipped! Ooooooooooohboy!

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #4,972 of 12,524
The last of the sets from stabilized batch two ship tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the patience! If you have a monkeypod set on order we have your set shipping soon if you ordered before the new year and many more being made as well!

Some stabilized pics from this batch.

DSC05682~2.JPG
DSC05684~2.JPG
DSC05730~2.JPG
DSC05724~2.JPG
DSC05721~2.JPG

Will post more soon as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 26, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,974 of 12,524
The last of the sets from stabilized batch two ship tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the patience! If you have a monkeypod set on order we have your set shipping soon if you ordered before the new year and many more being made as well!

DSC05682~2.JPGDSC05684~2.JPGDSC05730~2.JPGDSC05724~2.JPGDSC05721~2.JPG

That’s some serious eye candy.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #4,976 of 12,524

DSC05682~2.JPG

Soon these shall be clamped upon my head

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,977 of 12,524
Soon these shall be clamped upon my head
You could probably just wear them on your head normally. No need for clamps, they stay still on their own.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #4,978 of 12,524
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #4,980 of 12,524
Gorilla glue is so good it scares me. I'm afraid if I use it I'll stick together all objects in my home.
Someone smarter than me needs to update the old duct tape joke for Gorilla glue. If you don't know, the joke is "Duct tape is like the Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back